Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    So today we are sitting at around 50, maybe 60%.

Fresh off the press, a very rough WiP. I don't suppose it needs much explaining? You shouldn't have to use a flashlight to see you're computer screens eh?

Time to fix a brew and get drawing.
    I hope you have enough brew ready... you certainly realize that adding emission to textures immediately makes me want to also be able to turn the damn things off ; )

Seriously though, can't wait to see these in game.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I hope you have enough brew ready... you certainly realize that adding emission to textures immediately makes me want to also be able to turn the damn things off ; )

Seriously though, can't wait to see these in game.
    Well, you can completely disable them in the options, however if you want to "turn off" the block that is glowing, it would require an activate (r) state + texture, with no emission texture in that state.

Most of these blocks don't have an activation state, to add them would require an additional texture per face on that block. As such, i don't think we will have a toggle for block specific emissive maps unless the block actively uses an activation state.

Does that make sense? haha, i'm not sure... Let me know if that was nonsense.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440785416,1440785115][/DOUBLEPOST]

Reaction score
    Well, you can completely disable them in the options, however if you want to "turn off" the block that is glowing, it would require an activate (r) state + texture, with no emission texture in that state.

Most of these blocks don't have an activation state, to add them would require an additional texture per face on that block. As such, i don't think we will have a toggle for block specific emissive maps unless the block actively uses an activation state.

Does that make sense? haha, i'm not sure... Let me know if that was nonsense.
    I'm aware of that, and adding toggles to the emissive blocks that don't have them was what I was trying to imply ; )
    I understand however that those would add texture and possibly block ID overhead, and as such, aren't likely going to happen.

EDIT: PS.: I don't know who is in charge of the item descriptions, but I have found a few instances (shipyard blocks IIRC) where the description has the [r] key hardcoded in, ie. showing the wrong key if you changed your settings.
    Nice!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh thats a visual improvement i was hoping for, well done kupu! :D
    Will all those blocks emit actual light too? (like Lamps and Crystals do, but with very low intensity)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Will all those blocks emit actual light too? (like Lamps and Crystals do, but with very low intensity)
    No, they don't illuminate. Think of emissive maps as removing shadows. The texture area defined by the emissive map will never go dark, or only a % of darkness depending on the texture. This gives the illusion of glowing when in the dark.

Reactions: Syleiel
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Oh thats a visual improvement i was hoping for, well done kupu! :D
    if you did desire this effect, you could put in updates to those entries in your blockconfigimport! that way it'll persist through patches. (just bear in mind it won't work if you're playing on a server - you'll be using their blockconfig in those instances).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, they don't illuminate. Think of emissive maps as removing shadows. The texture area defined by the emissive map will never go dark, or only a % of darkness depending on the texture. This gives the illusion of glowing when in the dark.
    Thats not what i meant, i know how emissive maps work. ^^
    But i was wondering if the blocks receiving them will also act as a low Light Source, to subtly illuminate the blocks surrounding them too. Think of you sitting with a pc, phone, whatever in a dark room, the devices screen will illuminate you and the room too.

if you did desire this effect, you could put in updates to those entries in your blockconfigimport! that way it'll persist through patches. (just bear in mind it won't work if you're playing on a server - you'll be using their blockconfig in those instances).
    True, could do that, but like youve said it would be limited to SP and Servers using such configs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Would it be possible if the factory blocks to not emit light when there is no power and when they are not activated?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    But i was wondering if the blocks receiving them will also act as a low Light Source, to subtly illuminate the blocks surrounding them too.
    No. Blocks with an emissive won't have a light source.

Would it be possible if the factory blocks to not emit light when there is no power and when they are not activated?
    As of now this is not an option and most likely won't be in the initial release of new textures. In the future, it could be.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Are power capacitors getting emisive? if so, are you going to remove the silly green glow? Looks so silly when you nuke a ship and it glows green rather than red ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are power capacitors getting emisive? if so, are you going to remove the silly green glow? Looks so silly when you nuke a ship and it glows green rather than red ^_^
    Though at least we can customBlockConfig that out.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, i think so. I'm torn actually on how much i should make emissive for the shield and power blocks. These things are really common and animated. I'm not sure if it would be annoying or not to see a bunch of spinny things lit up all the time..

Thoughts?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440965330,1440965211][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Though at least we can customBlockConfig that out.
    Yea, you can. Would be nice to get a consensus on this though. I've personally found the green glow to be at odds with other blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yea, i think so. I'm torn actually on how much i should make emissive for the shield and power blocks. These things are really common and animated. I'm not sure if it would be annoying or not to see a bunch of spinny things lit up all the time..

Thoughts?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440965330,1440965211][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yea, you can. Would be nice to get a consensus on this though. I've personally found the green glow to be at odds with other blocks.
    BURN THE GLOW!!!

Though I'd honestly say add the emmisves to at least parts of the textures (Like the glowing circle around the shield capacitor, or the bars in the reactor, or the hexagons in the shield generator.)

Reaction score

Thoughts?
    I'm with you there. On the one hand, I actually integrate the light (mostly from power and shield capacitators) into my interior designs, on the other hand it's those blocks (along with logic blocks) that bleed through the hull if seen from a distance, which I find quite annoying to say the least...
    All in all, I guess I don't have a preference either way.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Yea, a color like light-ish blue, yellow, orange, or red would fit in much better than green. Capacitors are, like, the only green glowy things atm.

Also, I think having animated emissive maps would look pretty neat, especially in dark hallways with shields in them.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Will there ever be a launcher or option setting to disable block animations? I know in some cases lots of animated blocks can cause FPS issues. Perhaps a "64 - Toaster" texture pack?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Will there ever be a launcher or option setting to disable block animations? I know in some cases lots of animated blocks can cause FPS issues. Perhaps a "64 - Toaster" texture pack?
    If the animation steps are causing severe FPS drops i think the player will have bigger things to worry about when playing this game.

That being said, it might be possible to include it as a launcher option since it's not actually a texture pack function. I'll see if it's possible.

Reactions: Heillos and Comr4de
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If the animation steps are causing severe FPS drops i think the player will have bigger things to worry about when playing this game.

That being said, it might be possible to include it as a launcher option since it's not actually a texture pack function. I'll see if it's possible.
    Enough blocks that animate can hit even high end computer (I.E 200x200 wall of shield)

I agree this should be an option!

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Enough blocks that animate can hit even high end computer (I.E 200x200 wall of shield)

I agree this should be an option!
    tested that long ago,1000x1000 wall of normal hull VS. 1000x1000 wall of animated systems.
    no hit on performance,fps stayed exactly the same.. to the last digit.
    As Kupu said..i think you would need to have a commodore 64 to feel the impact :p
    but thats my experience,if someone is indeed experiencing that,it would be nice to have the option

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    tested that long ago,1000x1000 wall of normal hull VS. 1000x1000 wall of animated systems.
    no hit on performance,fps stayed exactly the same.. to the last digit.
    As Kupu said..i think you would need to have a commodore 64 to feel the impact :p
    but thats my experience,if someone is indeed experiencing that,it would be nice to have the option
    my experience has been similar.

now power capacitors are a different beast because they do cause lighting updates. i would imagine an e-map per block would be less of a performance hit than actually re-lighting the area around the block (let alone a block wall).

on the other hand, power caps have always served as a really nice ambient light source in low budget ships, which is sort of a QOL issue.