Kupu's thread

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hey kupu !

I hate to bother you. Great work on the new blocks and such, but we have the same problem as before again. Bar textures have turned to this horrible "TEX" texture. We use the bars quite a bit on our server as an alternative currency. Last time this happened, you said it was not an intended change, so.. if we could.. please.. maybe.. have the textures for bars put back again, we'd really appreciate it over at Light vs Dark. :)

Thanks!

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hey kupu !

I hate to bother you. Great work on the new blocks and such, but we have the same problem as before again. Bar textures have turned to this horrible "TEX" texture. We use the bars quite a bit on our server as an alternative currency. Last time this happened, you said it was not an intended change, so.. if we could.. please.. maybe.. have the textures for bars put back again, we'd really appreciate it over at Light vs Dark. :)

Thanks!
    This is how Kupu vents. By trolling LvD

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I personally think the lightbar texture is quite a bit too dark. When turned on the thing looks grey, not bright like a turned-on light.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hey kupu !

Thanks!
    You're right they've gone back to that blank TEX icon. Not sure how this was missed again. Sorry folks. I'll make the fix.

I personally think the lightbar texture is quite a bit too dark. When turned on the thing looks grey, not bright like a turned-on light.
    Yea. Emissive maps were removed as the lights can be toggled off. This is darkening the appearance of them as our approximated lighting system doesn't quite light them up 100% accurately. I'll be looking at LOD blocks with QA and improvements in mind. Some require more implementations like activated texture states.

Reactions: Captain Tankman

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You're right they've gone back to that blank TEX icon. Not sure how this was missed again. Sorry folks. I'll make the fix.

Yea. Emissive maps were removed as the lights can be toggled off. This is darkening the appearance of them as our approximated lighting system doesn't quite light them up 100% accurately. I'll be looking at LOD blocks with QA and improvements in mind. Some require more implementations like activated texture states.
    At least we know you have our back. Thank you Kupu. :)

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Girders aren't mirroring properly when placed in left/right symmetry mode...
    starmade-screenshot-0005.png Note the one that doesn't have the one unique side facing the same as the others.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Girders aren't mirroring properly when placed in left/right symmetry mode...
    View attachment 37969Note the one that doesn't have the one unique side facing the same as the others.
    I'll check it out, thanks. Out of curiosity, does a Rail docker correctly mirror in that same spot / orientation (if you're able to test).

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I'll check it out, thanks. Out of curiosity, does a Rail docker correctly mirror in that same spot / orientation (if you're able to test).
    Rail dockers work fine.
    For clarity: it's not one spot/orientation that fails to mirror with girders, it's the block itself that fails to mirror:
    starmade-screenshot-0010.png

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Hey Kupu, the emmisive side for the ship modules refuses to face all 6 directions. For some reason I can not get it to face in what I think is the positive X direction. I can get screenshots if you need.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hey Kupu, the emmisive side for the ship modules refuses to face all 6 directions. For some reason I can not get it to face in what I think is the positive X direction. I can get screenshots if you need.
    Yea, i know what you mean. I've been casually looking at this scratching my head in between projects.
    I'm thinking with the current assignment of textures (not so much the texture coords responsible for rotations, but which texture is mapped to faces), the emissive side of girders would never point to all directions...

I'm currently testing completely new assignments now to see if we can get something similar to how dockers act. The downside of this is probably breaking orientations of placed blocks. Worth it in my opinion though ^^'

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Yea, i know what you mean. I've been casually looking at this scratching my head in between projects.
    I'm thinking with the current assignment of textures (not so much the texture coords responsible for rotations, but which texture is mapped to faces), the emissive side of girders would never point to all directions...

I'm currently testing completely new assignments now to see if we can get something similar to how dockers act. The downside of this is probably breaking orientations of placed blocks. Worth it in my opinion though ^^'
    But it wasn't worth it for orientable scanners?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    But it wasn't worth it for orientable scanners?
    It was, hence the original update.
    But then it wasn't (staggering amount of "visually broken" blueprints), so it was scrubbed in a hotfix.

I'm sure we've been over this :3

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    It was, hence the original update.
    But then it wasn't (staggering amount of "visually broken" blueprints), so it was scrubbed in a hotfix.

I'm sure we've been over this :3
    We all know why they got removed, but the same would happen with Girders if you changed the texture assignments, and things would again be visually broken

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    We all know why they got removed, but the same would happen with Girders if you changed the texture assignments, and things would again be visually broken
    Yes, so we have two options,
    - try achieve a method that can preserve a previous orientation for things like scanners (honestly unlikely)
    - do a larger batch of complete changes giving orientation to blocks that need them, or fixing ones that are only partial knowing manual fixing is required on the players part.

As time goes on, the later becomes much more probable / necessary. If a preservation workaround is crossed off, the reason to avoid making these changes with consequences disappear.

Reaction score
    Is there no way you could use a special version of the game that grabs the rendering engine's renders and assigns a value to it? So, a block with this face down would be numbered 3, this face up 2, etc. It would likely be a resource- and time-expensive thing to do on larger vessels, but if you force it to pace slowly, release it in a clearly labeled "Blueprint fixer" version, you could probably make an option for a blueprint (In creative mode, obviously) where it is spawned and then analyzed based on how the game engine makes it look (As in, if the engine references Block 327 side 7, it will call up that side, and this temporary code will say "Oh look, that's where side 7 is. Therefore, this block looks like this!" and update the blueprint so that the next version (After you fix every texture error you can find) reads that BP's extra data when loading each ship for the first time, and resaves it again, deleting all the now-hopefully-unnecessary data marks that told the game how to reorient all the blocks after the texture change.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We need blocks which respect the players orientation for textures!
    Would make table-computers so much easier to use!​

It's important to know that there is no up/down/left/right texture.
    There is a primary-axis-texture front/rear and a secondary axis front/rear and for some blocks a tertiary axis.

Some blocks have a rotational symmetry and reduce one axis to 1 or 2 instead of 4 values.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    - do a larger batch of complete changes giving orientation to blocks that need them, or fixing ones that are only partial knowing manual fixing is required on the players part.
    This is definitely something doable late alpha, and right before beta. I'm assuming as well that the old deprecated blocks will be removed at roughly the same time. It would probably be good to look at that as a team and figure out how much work it really is. Ideally it's not something thrown in right at the end.