Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Does look like a GPU processing issue.
    Calculation gone wrong somewhere.
    Nah, I've had this constantly even with restarting my PC and wiping my universe. My GPU shouldn't have any issues
    [doublepost=1485036108,1485035737][/doublepost]
    hARDWAREMANIA - Download.com
    you sure?
    Artifacts like that scream "baked CUDA" to me.
    BTW do you have another program, that one freezes when you try and load the .exe

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Tried changing resolution on your desktop and the game separately to test?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Bit of a guess, but perhaps your vertexInfo.properties or vip.txt file (in data/config) needs updating or got modified incorrectly...?
    Exactly this, would be my guess too. blurb357
    You've probably hit a debug command accidentally and altered a config file.

The following files can be deleted and repaired AFTER backing up your installation in case it goes wrong (which it shouldn't).

In the folder StarMade/data/textures
    texOrderNormal.config
    texOrderPointToOrientation.config

In the folder StarMade/data/config
    vertexInfo.properties

Let us know if it fixes your problem. :)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

Looks like there's a tiling artefact in wood (can't see it unless you view it at native resolution)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold

Looks like there's a tiling artefact in wood (can't see it unless you view it at native resolution)
    Thanks for bringing it up, definitely appreciate these sort of reports but it'll get replaced entirely soon enough so i'm not sure if it's worth "fixing" it?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Thanks for bringing it up, definitely appreciate these sort of reports but it'll get replaced entirely soon enough so i'm not sure if it's worth "fixing" it?
    Oh right, I forgot that you hadn't replaced these yet...

Sig feels relevant again -_-

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's some fine looking wood there.... I don't really think it warrants wasting time on to fix or to replace. If you have to look that closely, I don't think it's that big of a problem.

kupu: the game engine only reads a full 255 black as emissive in the alpha layer of _NRM files? any grey scale in the alpha layer is read as specular?

Have you and the other devs ever thought about making some spec sheets or design docs for game asset files? It would probably help your dev team just as much as it would help mod'ers ;) hint hint. It's pretty obscure and time consuming for us to figure this all out on our own.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The normal map bug you describe is them not loading correctly when first applying whilst in a game world. Restarting the client fixes this, still needs to be fully resolved.

The game uses the png files for diffuse, and tga files for normals, emissives and specular. emissive and specular share the alpha channel in the tga files. The game will only load png normal maps when no tga files are present. Currently these are outdated as the "fallback" should never actually occur without users actively deleting files.
    The zip archives are to save space when downloading the game and extracted upon first use.
    Not to be argumentative, but... I'm going to be argumentative :/
    With a fresh stock install of the game... (took out my custom texture work just so no one can give me that annoying excuse) :

The normals bug does not go away when restarting the client. It's still there. Every time.
    If I'm really lucky, the overlays.png file textures such as the resource/minerals appear over the top of t000.png textures, such as standard armors, and emissives are all shifted / offset in the wrong places.
    If I'm not really lucky, the game just flat out crashes and reports a Resource Exception in /textures/block/
    Upon close inspection, the _NRM.png files do not match the _NRM.tga files. Many tiles are old versions or totally mismatched, such as scaffolding.
    There is no alpha layer in _NRM.png files.
    If the _NRM.png files are deleted, the game won't load. If the .tga files are deleted, the game still doesn't load. It's obviously checking for both of them, so I don't see how 1 can be a fallback, or not necessary.
    If normal maps are turned off, there is no emissive, but there IS still specular highlights / reflections from the sunshine. You've said this is stored with emissive data in the _NRM.tga alpha layer. Why is the game reading the _NRM files if normal maps are turned off?

Other game devs have successfully used multiple named layers to store data in their texture files, rather than trying to have the alpha channel pull double-duty. What's the dev team's logic here?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold

The normals bug does not go away when restarting the client. It's still there. Every time.
    Have you reported this bug anywhere other than here? This is the first report passed onto me that persists after restarting the client.
    I'll make a note of it and check with the testers today. A screen shot would help too just to confirm some suspicions.

Upon close inspection, the _NRM.png files do not match the _NRM.tga files. Many tiles are old versions or totally mismatched, such as scaffolding.
    No, they don't. I did tell you this too, as they are not used unless as (an old) fallback mechanic or the config option enabling them is set. (if this still works that is).
    Simply put, we have no reason to update these in any normal circumstances of play, so we haven't to reduce downloaded file counts.

There is no alpha layer in _NRM.png files.
    Correct. That's because they're PNG24 files and created before we added specular maps to the game and switched to TGA formats. Again, these are redundant files. Please stop looking at _NRM.png files for a solution.

If the _NRM.png files are deleted, the game won't load. If the .tga files are deleted, the game still doesn't load. It's obviously checking for both of them, so I don't see how 1 can be a fallback, or not necessary.
    Can't reproduce. Currently running the latest builds with no _NRM.png files present. What is the error you receive if you ONLY delete t000_NRM.png t001_NRM.png and t002_NRM.png from the active texture directory before launching the game?

If normal maps are turned off, there is no emissive, but there IS still specular highlights / reflections from the sunshine. You've said this is stored with emissive data in the _NRM.tga alpha layer. Why is the game reading the _NRM files if normal maps are turned off?
    When turned off they're not reading the specular maps in the NRM file. That's simply the lighting shader. Specular maps control the intensity of that portion of the shader rather than cast a flat value across all blocks.

Other game devs have successfully used multiple named layers to store data in their texture files, rather than trying to have the alpha channel pull double-duty. What's the dev team's logic here?
    Efficiency.
    We save occupied texture space by bundling them together. Less maps in less channels is less data.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Reactions: Ghent96

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's some fine looking wood there.... I don't really think it warrants wasting time on to fix or to replace. If you have to look that closely, I don't think it's that big of a problem.
    Are you sure mate?

IMO wood needs a new texture badly :u It looks more like mud than actual bark

Reaction score
    Yes, in the recent update this was done... or attempted. Is this happening on a single rotation? Or all? It's possible i missed 1 or 2 out of the 24.
    Wooops, sorry for late response. I didn' checked it at the moment of my message but checked it later and i found out that it's 3 of the 4 orientations with the rail pointing toward the bottom of the ship. The rest looked fine, could have missed one but i don't think so.

Reactions: kupu

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Wooops, sorry for late response. I didn' checked it at the moment of my message but checked it later and i found out that it's 3 of the 4 orientations with the rail pointing toward the bottom of the ship. The rest looked fine, could have missed one but i don't think so.
    Great, i spotted the same. Think we got them all. :)

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Bloody awesome textures Kupu

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Bloody awesome textures Kupu
    Hahah. Yea... we're being very careful to avoid further texture coordinate issues after pretty much wiping out all of the current ones. :D