Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have a pretty different view of it. The ships released so far are pretty vibrant in their own way, and I don't think anybody would qualify Starmade as getting "grittier." This isn't a Batman reboot. It's a space sandbox.

Reactions: kiddan

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    This isn't a Batman reboot. It's a space sandbox.
    Signature-worthy quote! :P

I'd be fine with asteroids being slightly greyer, just as long as the colour was still vibrant enough that you could tell what type of stone you're looking at from (almost) any distance. Refined/carved/whateverit'scalled stone should be much more vibrant than the natural stuff, too. It would give it more of a use to smoothen and also means we'd have two shades of colour for each stone type.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If somebody puts that in their sig, that'd be two including Aynslei.

And I really disagree. I like them vibrant still. I mean, Skylord has some builds that are asteroids which look ultra cool. The technology is there to make an asteroid look gritty.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You forgot to take away rotating jump systems aswell :c

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Nah. They seemed to behave correctly for the most part on existing builds... have you seen otherwise?
    Exact same issue, just not so bad because so few people use them for decoration.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Speaking of rotations, it would be cool to have block rotations per connection to other same blocks, like this:
    Decorative pipes and cables would at least look much better that way... Of course the decorative stuff is very non-urgent and I don't know if starmade's engine supports that kind of stuff, but I'm just tossing ideas. Maybe some of them get grabbed.

Reactions: kikaha
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd love something like that, but I don't know how possible it is in StarMade.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hello everyone; quick heads up that this thread will be moving to a new home!

The forums now has a "Schine!" section for some of us to maintain our own threads all in one place. We hope this allows you to easily interact with team members and get a quick glimpse into our working projects between the Development Blogs.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    suddenly I would like slab crystals and ingots.
    because I was messing around with making sculptures and I found that I had to use hull. I was saddened because I wanted to make it out of nocx crystal.

I shall gladly await for any response whether or not said response would be in favour of "slabbening" essentially everything or not.

-the cookiemonster dreadnought-

ps: slabs make everything better.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So i read some things. And i think it'd be nice to have an animated block that reponds to logic, something that looks better than a light or whatnot.
    This would require blocks with an activation bit to have 2 texture states - however still only using 4 frames of animation.

Anyway, low, 0, or OFF logic input:

when it receives a high, 1, or ON signal:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hello everyone; quick heads up that this thread will be moving to a new home!

The forums now has a "Schine!" section for some of us to maintain our own threads all in one place. We hope this allows you to easily interact with team members and get a quick glimpse into our working projects between the Development Blogs.
    Ooooh, schiny!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So i read some things. And i think it'd be nice to have an animated block that reponds to logic, something that looks better than a light or whatnot.
    This would require blocks with an activation bit to have 2 texture states - however still only using 4 frames of animation.

Anyway, low, 0, or OFF logic input:

when it receives a high, 1, or ON signal:
    Those look great, but wouldn't it be better to just have display blocks respond to high and low signals? Blank for low and whatever html is written for high? Then you can write whatever you want, and using the magic of display blocks you could put that text on literally anything you want to.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yup, suggested quite a few times too. As you've realised though this requires a rework not only on how animations are applied per face, but activation states toggling animations. We've got a few blocks on the list that would benefit from such a feature.

Like jstenholt has mentioned we also get requests to show logic signals via display blocks... Could be more flexible this way? (if a little less decorative in some senses).

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Speaking of display blocks, can we kill, or atleast reduce, the scanlines animation? Makes the text a little harder to read IMO, and kinda looks out of place in high tech spaceships :/

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Speaking of rotations, it would be cool to have block rotations per connection to other same blocks, like this:
    Decorative pipes and cables would at least look much better that way... Of course the decorative stuff is very non-urgent and I don't know if starmade's engine supports that kind of stuff, but I'm just tossing ideas. Maybe some of them get grabbed.
    Really like this texture pack.

maybe Shine could get that guy to play Starmade and make a pack for us.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Did the new update mess up hull textures?

These were placed with radial symmetry around the center block, and look all messed up

It will be hard to build ship hull with symmetry now without it looking bad...

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Did the new update mess up hull textures?

These were placed with radial symmetry around the center block, and look all messed upIt will be hard to build ship hull with symmetry now without it looking bad...
    What particular part are you complaining about? The edges have always looked a slight bit wierd to me. I attributed it to lighting and normal maps. Do the edges shift when you move the camera?

Reaction score
    What particular part are you complaining about? The edges have always looked a slight bit wierd to me. I attributed it to lighting and normal maps. Do the edges shift when you move the camera?
    I have normal mapping disabled

Upon further testing I found that it only happens with blocks placed around vertical symmetry (i.e. the bottom and top of the ship only)
    Here's blocks placed without symmetry

And the same blocks placed with symmetry around the middle