Kupu's thread

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I was wondering kupu if you were ever able to trace down the difference between Nvidia and Radeon cards in regards to rendering certain things like beams and plumes?
    No, i hadn't. This is something Schema will have to look into i think.

---------

So, i've been getting questions about new textures;

"Are they all completely new?"
    Yes. All textures will be made anew from fresh.

"Will the designs change? Will my ships look different and do i have to change my decorations?"
    Not really. The designs will remain roughly the same. All your ships should look fine when the new pack is released.

"How much better are they? Is it just tweaks?"
    Tweaks to the design, completely new process. Roughly this for comparison sake.

"Is the resolution going up? will there be a performance hit?"
    No and no. All texture dimensions will remain the same.

"Can we see them?"
    Here's a glimpse.

With those answered, here is a WIP. As with pretty much everything in this thread, these are not final and subject to change.

Comparison. New / Old.

Super busy currently. As and when i'm standing on firmer progress i'll be sure to showcase some of the upcoming changes.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive

---------

"Will the designs change? Will my ships look different and look i have to change my decorations?"
    Not really. The designs will remain roughly the same. All your ships should look fine when the new pack is released.

"Can we see them?"
    Here's a glimpse.

With those answered, here is a WIP. As with pretty much everything in this thread, these are not final and subject to change.

Comparison. New / Old.

Super busy currently. As and when i'm standing on firmer progress i'll be sure to showcase some of the upcoming changes.
    Oh man, dat tease. All aboard the hype train!

Reactions: kupu
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius

---------

"Will the designs change? Will my ships look different and look i have to change my decorations?"

"Can we see them?"
    Here's a glimpse.

Comparison. New / Old.

:O this is epic! Cant wait to see the whole pack!!

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I'm not certain how I feel about this.

I love it,they look really really nice, but at the same time, the nice thing about the current texture sets is that they're simple. They work anywhere, for anything, for any style. I don't know how these more detailed and machiney looking textures would fit into that :/

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm not certain how I feel about this.

I love it,they look really really nice, but at the same time, the nice thing about the current texture sets is that they're simple. They work anywhere, for anything, for any style. I don't know how these more detailed and machiney looking textures would fit into that :/
    It's a valid concern.

It's something i'm very mindful of myself and keep checking before, during and after the texture making process to make sure i'm not going down the wrong path. Yes, the texture set needs to be flexible to all styles and approaches, but it also has to be more coherent as a set within itself for our Starmade universe and it's own aesthetic.

Reaction score
    With the overhaul, would that be an opportunity to tweak some of the reflectivity values? Not exactly part of the textures per se, but I always feel like I'm looking at chocolate or plastic when I see "red planet terrain" et cetera :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Don't worry, thats on topic :) I was just safe guarding against "plz make me new block / texture" requests.

As @Itmauve said, that's handled in the block config or alternatively in the block editor by remapping the texture and settings.
    The best solution is a check-box on the launcher. Make it simple. ;)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1465677869,1465677570][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It's a valid concern.

It's something i'm very mindful of myself and keep checking before, during and after the texture making process to make sure i'm not going down the wrong path. Yes, the texture set needs to be flexible to all styles and approaches, but it also has to be more coherent as a set within itself for our Starmade universe and it's own aesthetic.
    Just make sure it doesn't break people's custom texture packs... or... if you're absolutely going to break textures, create a new system that lets us players make custom tex packs and block configs easily, once and for all, and not have to worry about them breaking (or reinstalling) with every game update ;)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Just make sure it doesn't break people's custom texture packs... or... if you're absolutely going to break textures, create a new system that lets us players make custom tex packs and block configs easily, once and for all, and not have to worry about them breaking (or reinstalling) with every game update ;)
    The new textures won't break texture packs. He's pretty much creating a texture pack

Reactions: nightrune

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Just make sure it doesn't break people's custom texture packs
    Custom server side textures (t007) will be unaffected. So if your server uses a few extra blocks they will behave as normal even with the new official textures. :)

User made texture packs might break if we require layout changes. With respect, i won't work around community texture packs. I'll always be happy to help active creators get up to date or give advice on how SM textures work, but swift development at Schines end is paramount.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Oh... Oh, dang. I wasn't getting notifs and missed those amazing texture reveals! o_O

Looks awesome, kupu ! Can't wait for all those new textures to be in-game, they look so pretty! :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Out of curiosity Kupu, dunno if this is your area, but I've had this issue with StarMade where the textures occasionally stretch off the block and into infinity. When I reload the textures it fixes itself. It happens on Minecraft as well, so it's probably something to do with Java. Any ideas?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Out of curiosity Kupu, dunno if this is your area, but I've had this issue with StarMade where the textures occasionally stretch off the block and into infinity. When I reload the textures it fixes itself. It happens on Minecraft as well, so it's probably something to do with Java. Any ideas?
    Oh man, that sounds irritating. :/

Unfortunately i don't know what would cause it... have you made a support ticket? AndyP is very good at helping troubleshoot strange issues like this. Sorry i couldn't be of any more help.

Support : StarMade Support

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Xtremesonicboom You mean like this?
    If so, check your GPU temps and make sure it isn't running hot, also update your drivers.
    That's the issue I'm referring to, but I've never seen it that severe. I don't know how to monitor GPU temp, short of sticking a cooking thermometer into it, as my computer is old and definitely not a gaming computer. As for updating the drivers, again, it's old, and it doesn't have any driver updates anymore. The GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 6450.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Waddayamean? That's just the Aurora Borealis! Nothing to worry about, nothing at all...
    Sorry, couldn't help it!

Just wondering something, kupu . Could light blocks and crystals get emissive maps? Last time I checked, they looked kinda weird when covered by slabs, wedges, and-the-like.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Just wondering something, kupu . Could light blocks and crystals get emissive maps? Last time I checked, they looked kinda weird when covered by slabs, wedges, and-the-like.
    They already do.