Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, a couple notes about the logic blocks:
    1. The button, activation module, wireless block, and ship switch all look exactly the same in hotbar, and at a distance. Do you think you could change the shape of the blue rectangle in the middle for each of them so that they're easier to tell apart?
    2. The deactivated orange color and the white don't have the best contrast. Could you switch the white symbols on deactivated textures with black or try darkening the orange, to see if that improves it?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    So, a couple notes about the logic blocks:
    1. The button, activation module, wireless block, and ship switch all look exactly the same in hotbar, and at a distance. Do you think you could change the shape of the blue rectangle in the middle for each of them so that they're easier to tell apart?
    2. The deactivated orange color and the white don't have the best contrast. Could you switch the white symbols on deactivated textures with black or try darkening the orange, to see if that improves it?
    1: They are very similar. The hotbar blocks are labeled, so it's not exactly a pot luck guess as to which one you are getting... but i can't deny they look very similar.

I'm wary of giving blocks within the "user toggled activation block" category different visual traits, as we've always tried to visually group blocks together to help identify function. Ie; Knowing what the activator does, one could presume how to interact with the button or wireless button. Editing only the icon creates a disconnect to the block itself, so let's rule that one out.
    As for the icon, it's a 46 pixel block with a whopping 15 pixel area for the actual "button" i'd wager different shapes at similar size to now would continue to look similar in the hotbar unless the entire design is changed (not ruling that out though...).

So with that in mind, any further suggestion on how we can tackle this? Do you feel the textures themselves work well enough to accept the icons or should both be reconsidered?

2: I'd sooner darken the orange than have it switch to a black icon (the new WIP set does this).

Thanks for the feedback!

Kooooopooooooop~

Letter and number blocks? <3
    Blocks? This always seemed so clumsy to me. Decals would surely work better right? I'd sooner push for a decal system that we could utilise for a whole host of things.

I think this is another suggestion that few would argue against, but it has to be done right to avoid being clumsy, inventory hogging and a production nightmare.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    1: They are very similar. The hotbar blocks are labeled, so it's not exactly a pot luck guess as to which one you are getting... but i can't deny they look very similar.

I'm wary of giving blocks within the "user toggled activation block" category different visual traits, as we've always tried to visually group blocks together to help identify function. Ie; Knowing what the activator does, one could presume how to interact with the button or wireless button. Editing only the icon creates a disconnect to the block itself, so let's rule that one out.
    As for the icon, it's a 46 pixel block with a whopping 15 pixel area for the actual "button" i'd wager different shapes at similar size to now would continue to look similar in the hotbar unless the entire design is changed (not ruling that out though...).

So with that in mind, any further suggestion on how we can tackle this? Do you feel the textures themselves work well enough to accept the icons or should both be reconsidered?

2: I'd sooner darken the orange than have it switch to a black icon (the new WIP set does this).

Thanks for the feedback!

Blocks? This always seemed so clumsy to me. Decals would surely work better right? I'd sooner push for a decal system that we could utilise for a whole host of things.

I think this is another suggestion that few would argue against, but it has to be done right to avoid being clumsy, inventory hogging and a production nightmare.
    I'll happily have decals. Just anything that lets me write big words on ships ^_^

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I mean, I like writing using blocks, but sometimes we need to write something smaller, so whatever solution you come up for would be fine by me.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I've got an idea! Why not keep the activator, button, etc the same shape and all but have a different de-activated colour for each one? Players would be able to remember the colour of the button area and they still look similar enough that the activator-like function is implied.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I've got an idea! Why not keep the activator, button, etc the same shape and all but have a different de-activated colour for each one? Players would be able to remember the colour of the button area and they still look similar enough that the activator-like function is implied.
    Interesting idea, which would work in theory.

However a single colour for true and false (high / low or w/e) respectively was initially requested for consistency's sake. My gut tells me that keeping the "blue is true, orange is false" dichotomy is more beneficial than the hotbar icons (which are labelled).

I will bring this discussion up with our QA team and forward your ideas too. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: nightrune

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think I'd prefer for letter decals to work similarly to a display block, but allowing for much larger characters, and without the background.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    I'd rather have decals, afaik, the current decal system has less impact on systems when used alot than display mods.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    afaik, they're both a decal system. it's just not used for decal based things.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think I'd prefer for letter decals to work similarly to a display block, but allowing for much larger characters, and without the background.
    I was thinking this same thing when Kupu mentioned decals. Something else I would like is orientation to match any side our blocks have, including wedge, corner, hepta and tetra.

This would save loads on time and block variations required to build the desired words. Plus, with the size variations, you could do so much.

Bring on the Decal Block! :)

I like the logic blocks the way they are, but I do like the idea of changing the centre rectangle. No wait, my OCD tells me keep it like it is.

Reaction score
    I'd like to support, what people said about the rotation of decorative blocks. I think the decorative blocks, the computers and the screens should all get the full 4 million rotational options the rails already have (minus symmetry, of course).

Another thing, that's been bugging me: I think, I'd like dark grey hull to be darker. Not like a lot darker, only a touch. The problem is that dark grey hull and grey armour are similar in the light and undistinguishable in the shadow. Dark grey armour is fine.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    I'd like to support, what people said about the rotation of decorative blocks. I think the decorative blocks, the computers and the screens should all get the full 4 million rotational options the rails already have (minus symmetry, of course).

Another thing, that's been bugging me: I think, I'd like dark grey hull to be darker. Not like a lot darker, only a touch. The problem is that dark grey hull and grey armour are similar in the light and undistinguishable in the shadow. Dark grey armour is fine.
    Symmetry should work for the decoblocks,especially mirror blocks is on by default now.

I quite like dark grey hull and grey standard armor being close, it's one ofthe few places we can use the weaker block and not have a completely different colour

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

Symmetry should work for the decoblocks,especially mirror blocks is on by default now.

I quite like dark grey hull and grey standard armor being close, it's one ofthe few places we can use the weaker block and not have a completely different colour
    MMMhmmm I really want decorative blocks to be single face all possible rotations. I hate when I want to stick them in the floor or ceiling and they won't face the direction I want. I also do like the similarity in shade between dark grey hull and grey standard.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So... what does everyone think about the idea of making foliage blocks solid instead of transparent?

I'm making a lot of glass domes with trees inside for the ship building contest, and the leaves disappear behind the glass. I mean small plants will still have the disappearing problem, but foliage blocks are almost solid blocks anyways, and they're the most noticeable.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

therimmer96

Reaction score
    The transparency issues are slowly being fixed, it shouldn't be a concern for much longer.