i suggest we can treat scaffolding as ladder in starmade
    So we can go to high place by old fashion climbing, not just by lifts

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Would be a hell of a lot more functional than plex lifts atm, that's for sure. But in the long run, I think I may rather see more advanced/functioning/shipbased Plexlifts.

Reactions: SherlockTL
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    For rp reasons I think it would be nice to have a ladder, in say a small maintenance tunnel where gravity elevators or plex lifters just dont fit the approach you're going for.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree, and would definitely prefer to see a ladder block instead of a stair block, if I could only have one or the other.

I gave SciFi media a thought, and it generally seems like media could go either way. I tend to favor the media that uses ladders, if only because it takes up less horizontal space for the same vertical distance. I use ramp "staircases" in my ships, and believe me, it takes up way too much room for what it does (getting you up and down the ship decks.)

Star Wars 1-6: Staircases
    Star Trek 1-12: Ladders
    Alien/Aliens: Ladders (Staircases feature heavily in "Aliens", but that mostly takes place in a land-based facility.)
    Dr. Who: Staircases (OK, with so, so many seasons, this alone might tip the scale in favor of stairs, but you can't expect the good Dr. to not take the stairs.)
    Countless SciFi books: Ladders
    Countless SciFi games: I'm gonna call this a draw.

Reaction score
    I know that sarmade is fantasy and not 100% real, but every ship would have a mix of tech and non tech travel. there would always be a ladder or a staircase or a crawl space incase the tech broke. so yes for ladders. but then again I also want gravity boots and teleporters and crouch and sprint and jetpacks so maybe don't listen to me

when I think of ladders in starmade I picture Andromada from the show of the same name, they were constantly jumping up and down shafts with ladders to get between floors, like firemen.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Starmades long overdue for ladders. however i don't believe that the scaffolding block should be the ladder, they don't really look the part. Perhaps a more defined ladder block, something similar to Minecraft's one.

it would help a lot since gravity lifts don't work on planets and plexlifts are well... slow so ladders would be a lot better

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Starmades long overdue for ladders. however i don't believe that the scaffolding block should be the ladder, they don't really look the part. Perhaps a more defined ladder block, something similar to Minecraft's one.

it would help a lot since gravity lifts don't work on planets and plexlifts are well... slow so ladders would be a lot better
    Even if it doesn't look the part of a ladder, I still think we should be able to climb scaffolding.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Eh? The gravity blocks work just fine on planets. In fact, it's common practice to have an upside-down gravity block for escaping a planet without a ship.
    they do? dam its been awhile since i did any kind of planet side tests. they destroy my comp

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Something I just thought about while responding to another thread, that included light bar blocks: make light bars climbable as well. That way, you can build ladders into walls, using those light blocks as rungs, whether lit or unlit. (I'd still like a way to activate/inactivate many connected light and light bar blocks at the push of a single button or combination of buttons).

|-|
    |-|
    |-|

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Something I just thought about while responding to another thread, that included light bar blocks: make light bars climbable as well. That way, you can build ladders into walls, using those light blocks as rungs, whether lit or unlit. (I'd still like a way to activate/inactivate many connected light and light bar blocks at the push of a single button or combination of buttons).

|-|
    |-|
    |-|
    this is also a nice idea

Reaction score
    Don't know if this will be applied to scaffolding (I'd like it to be) be climbing ladders and crawling through passages (really the same thing depending on perspective) have been confirmed long ago, so I'll just set this concept as confirmed.