Kupu's thread

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I hope you're all enjoying the new update... however i need to ask for a favor from anyone willing. ^^'

If you have time, could you double check that the heal beam is being rendered correctly? If it appears black within your game just leave me a message here or in PM.

"But kupu, don't you have testers for this?" Yes. But i would like to check a wider scope to see if this is hardware dependent, or a simple case of people using the wrong build.

Any help testing this would be much appreciated.

Reactions: nightrune

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I hope you're all enjoying the new update... however i need to ask for a favor from anyone willing. ^^'

If you have time, could you double check that the heal beam is being rendered correctly? If it appears black within your game just leave me a message here or in PM.

"But kupu, don't you have testers for this?" Yes. But i would like to check a wider scope to see if this is hardware dependent, or a simple case of people using the wrong build.

Any help testing this would be much appreciated.
    It renders on my work computer, 32 gigs of ram, Core i7, GTX 960, full shadows at Ultra settings

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Yo kupu , any idea why this is happening on Teal Standard and ONLY on Teal Standard?

It seems to be a weird render glitch reminiscent of some older bugs, but it's literally only on these teal standard blocks and no other blocks.

If you need more info let me know.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yo kupu , any idea why this is happening on Teal Standard and ONLY on Teal Standard?

It seems to be a weird render glitch reminiscent of some older bugs, but it's literally only on these teal standard blocks and no other blocks.

If you need more info let me know.
    I'm unable to replicate this issue. A couple of things that would be helpful to know are;

- Are you using Normal map / Emissives ?
    - Does this same effect happen in the Pixel texture pack
    - What launcher are you using to download the game?*

*We seem to be having quite a few reports of corrupted downloads recently. Have you tried deleting (ONLY) the texture file and repairing the installation?

I'll keep checking for solutions. Let me know if it fixes itself or you have found a cure! :)

EDIT: Are you playing through Steam or the Beta Launcher?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I had a texture issue but it seems like a bug with the Beta launcher downloading .19592, when I downloaded this version with the old launcher it was fine.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm unable to replicate this issue. A couple of things that would be helpful to know are;

- Are you using Normal map / Emissives ?
    - Does this same effect happen in the Pixel texture pack
    - What launcher are you using to download the game?
    -yes
    -haven't checked yet, will do so as soon as I'm back on my PC
    -old launcher, standalone (not Steam)

As for the corrupted installation thing, I'll reinstall the texture files after I check the Pixel pack.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Okay so, just checked. I can't replicate the issue with the Pixel pack, nor can I replicate it at all on my laptop. Guess it's the texture file then.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Okay so, just checked. I can't replicate the issue with the Pixel pack, nor can I replicate it at all on my laptop. Guess it's the texture file then.
    It does sound like it, yes. This is good news, in a way. The texture file being distributed does not have these artifacts on it originally, so re downloading it should hopefully resolve the issue.

the file to remove is located in Starmade/data/textures/block/256/ t002.PNG and t002_NRM.TGA
    then in the launcher click Options and Repair > Search Currently Installed > Download Normal.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    As for the bevel "cut" on the crystals, yes they do look odd when wedged. The texture was made this way as singular blocks, cut from raw resources before wedge crystals were an option. As such we never had to consider them in anything other than a full block style.

I will consider changing it in the future to be wedge inclusive.

Reactions: kiddan and Lecic

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    New rail blocks are visualizations. The same will be implemented for Area Triggers and Cargo Space too. They will all follow the same format, something completely different to existing blocks. Utilitarian, colourful, with a simple symbol to to make it very clear these are not objects within the world, but areas of function.
    Now if only we could apply the same concept to logic tubes :P

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Now if only we could apply the same concept to logic tubes :p
    Ha, yea it's a fair point. I'll bring it up for discussion with the team again and see what the consensus is.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Blaza612 Keep it family friendly mate. I've taken the liberty of editing your post to something more in line with the maturity of your tone.

As for the bevel "cut" on the crystals, yes they do look odd when wedged. The texture was made this way as singular blocks, cut from raw resources before wedge crystals were an option. As such we never had to consider them in anything other than a full block style.

I will consider changing it in the future to be wedge inclusive.
    The bevel would also look really bad if the crystals were to generate in stalagmites/stalactites on planets, or... anything, really. I'd recommend a change.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    The bevel would also look really bad if the crystals were to generate in stalagmites/stalactites on planets, or... anything, really. I'd recommend a change.
    True enough, but again it's the same situation of them initially being implemented as refined resources in only full blocks.

As purposes for blocks change, you can expect the visuals to change with them. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ha, yea it's a fair point. I'll bring it up for discussion with the team again and see what the consensus is.
    In the Q&A Schema said he would look into a way of getting rid of the tubes on an individual basis by using a bit on the logic blocks. I bring this up for two reasons.
    1. Some people want the tubes visible for decorative / creative uses. A new texture should keep that in mind.
    2. To see if this is still probable for happening. ( I hate the tubes, but this was never tagged as planned)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but there was NO mention of "Family friendly", er, stuff (this is literally the stupidest rule), hence I was at full liberty to use it. Also, if anything not swearing isn't family friendly, as it actively contradicts what a child sees. Children constantly see their parents swearing, hence this would only show a contradiction and confuse them. :p

In all seriousness, it's just a stupid rule. Like, swearing is part of what people say, and shouldn't be repressed. Hell, swearing is an integral part of Aussie culture (just above beer :p), so in general there is NO reason for me to not swear. ESPECIALLY ON THE GOD DAMN INTERNET!\

Also, I'll be taking the liberty of changing it to something that reflects the above message. Pickles is the WORST thing ye could put, and it is the LAST thing I would say. It's a bad word, and people should feel bad for using it. It doesn't flow with anything! Where as shit on the other hand, flows nicely with many things. For example:

"It looks like pickles!" - flows terribly, and makes me want to kill myself

"It looks like shit!" - flows nicely

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

They also look odd when not wedge. They look shit for everything.

That was a terrible idea. Plain and simple. It may be processed, but it wont have MS Paint's buttonization effect on it, and just looks bad for EVERYTHING.
    This is Kupus personal thread where he shows off what he's working on. He can moderate it how he sees fit. I'm fairly certain he removes posts that are too far off topic. If people act disrespectful, even if it may not be against forum rules, Kupu may just decide he doesn't want to deal with it any more and just stop updating and I, personally, would much rather have this thread and it's updates.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    He can moderate it how he sees fit
    HELP! I'M BEING OPPRESSED! :p

disrespectful
    Thank god for being able to make mood blindingly obvious.

Kupu may just decide he doesn't want to deal with it any more and just stop updating, he is under no obligation to do so and I, personally,would much rather have this thread and it's updates.
    This gone WAY out of context. You seem to not understand the fact that I wrote that in a more cheerful and amusing mood, which is highlighted through the use of emoticons and what is actual said, with a side of caps lock every now and then. :p

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    HELP! I'M BEING OPPRESSED! :p
    Context is important. So is tone.

This thread has a very specific purpose; to serve as a link between myself directly and the community for constructive criticism, information and glimpses into the future of Starmade projects. Here, you can have a legitimate say on the visual development of the game. Because i chose to.

Because of this specific purpose, the thread is self moderated for your collective benefit. Not mine. Nobody comes here to see off topic arguments or rabble rousing. People want to be able to logically put forward their criticisms or suggestions and get a genuine response.

If a free for all attitude of "shout the loudest" (or rudest) to be heard is tolerated, it becomes increasingly harder or even dissuades others from feeling welcome to proposing a counter suggestion. This is counter intuitive to the purpose of this thread and degrades the overall tone. I am quite certain the large 63 page count is in part attributed to a clean and welcoming tone for all. Not a free for all brawl of tactless complaints and rebuttals.

I'm fairly certain he removes posts that are too far off topic.
    Yup.

To summarise, crystals should not have a bevel "cut" on the texture to allow better tiling and wedge compatibility.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well with what just happened i feel compelled to complain nicely. eeew :eek:

So i just got out of about a year of lack of time to play Starmade, the first thing i did was to try out the new stuff and i have a bunch of texture related remarks to do.

I don't remember when the texture changed but the circuits no longer fill a role i was using them for. They used to have this really complicated and intricate texture (from the realistic pack i think) whch was most likely changed for being too busy (and old and bad). But the new one is just too simple and feels more like a bunch of wires connecting components, which dosen't fit for the electronics of a ship's main computer themselves. But i don't want it gone either, it suits that new role perfectly.

And then we have charged circuits. they have the same texture as circuits, with some blinky bits. From afar, they're the same. From up close, one is animated and shiny, the other is not. As the effect is subtle, there is no real reason to use one over another unless you are right next to it, and even then, you need to actually look and think about it to notice the difference. The only real difference is the charged circuits emiting light but this can easily be done by other means. I read somewhere on this thread (i may be wrong) Kupu dosen't wants to have 2 blocks with too similar textures for giving more options or something like that.

So here's what i suggest :

We give the circuits the current charged circuits look with the animation (because it's always better than not animated; gives it some life);
    We give to the charged circuits a new texture that's intricate (for complex electronics), with (much) more visible animation and blinks (for the charged thing), in the style of currents circuits and motherboards, and tiling with them for the possibility of assembling cool stuff.
    For the light part well either they can all emit or none do and we use conveniently placed light rods.

Then :

The hardeners (standard and advanced) are broken when placed. They render as brown paint.

The scrap and composite scrap use an ID without being placeable which is a waste when they have the potential for being blocks with cool scrap metal bits / crystal composite shards textures (for abandonned stations?).

Then by the way why aren't ore and crystals placeable? may not be a Kupu thing.

And finally (may not be a Kupu thing either) i was shocked by the lack of slabs of the aforementioned circuits. And of evrything else really (mesh, grills, scaffolding, ingots, crystals, stones (at least the polished ones), ...). Anything having wedges should have slabs. It's critical for building anything detailled with them.
    [/rant]