Kupu's thread

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Ok, as promised;

Here is a rough in-game chart of specular values. It's a little hard to get a fully accurate chart, as the sun spot shifts on player position. The smaller image shifts the sun position to the low specular end to try and compensate for this and allow a direct comparison between high and low values with direct sunlight.

Left > Right, Low to High values. Far left is completely matte, while the far right will mimic reflected light and create hotspots determined by the normal map.

It is perhaps quite easy to miss the differences on some textures as the lighting is additive, so vibrant colours will be emphasized greatly in direct sunlight.

How are they determined? ( 0ldSkull, sounds like you know this, in fact we went over it at TwitchCon even? :D but for those that might not)

The alpha channel in the normal map TGA files is used for both emissive and specular maps. We essentially split the channel in half, anything below value R 127, G 127, B 127 is considered specular. Anything above R 128, G, 128 R, 128 is considered emissive.

So this little table here might help visualize that. 1st column is our gray scale value. 2nd, the % of the entire channel. 3rd, the % of the specific texture map.

12 -> 0.05 -> 0.1 Specular
    25 -> 0.10 -> 0.2 Specular
    38 -> 0.15 -> 0.3 Specular
    51 -> 0.20 -> 0.4 Specular
    63 -> 0.25 -> 0.5 Specular
    76 -> 0.30 -> 0.6 Specular
    89 -> 0.35 -> 0.7 Specular
    102 -> 0.40 -> 0.8 Specular
    114 -> 0.45 -> 0.9 Specular
    127 -> 0.50 -> 1.0 Specular
    178 -> 0.70 -> 0.4 Emission
    191 -> 0.75 -> 0.5 Emission
    204 -> 0.80 -> 0.6 Emission
    216 -> 0.85 -> 0.7 Emission
    229 -> 0.90 -> 0.8 Emission
    242 -> 0.95 -> 0.9 Emission
    255 -> 1.00 -> 1.0 Emission

So they are working, ^^ If a little subtle. (No more metallic grass at least eh?)
    It's just much easier to see the results on grey blank blocks as opposed to a in-game ship.

I hope that helps? As always (everyone), let me know if you need more info for your texture packs.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wow, definitely above and beyond (as usual)! This really helps, and shows me that I should experiment with a different, more rounded/shaped texture (mine was mostly flat but with some detail) as well as step back and look at a more "macro" level rather than for differences in the fine details. I'm expecting to have to balance the shine and specular values together somewhat to fine-tune the look, but that's part of the experiment.
    Thanks kupu.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Thank you for this, mate. A fix has been made and will be in the upcoming bugfix release. :)

Look at all these things we are yet to unlock!

The next release will feature a much requested, Brown Crystal Armor.
    Ok... ok. It's not as exciting as a brand new colour... But you don't unlock the good stuff at lvl 1 right?!
    Have we unlocked anymore yet? ;)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Carved stone wedges please... awkward hull ramps for my stone floors look awkward... Also yeah, have we unlocked anything yet?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    ice wedge and carved rock wedge are probably the most requested...

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Have we unlocked anymore yet? ;)
    I hope to have a new set in the Cargo update (if i have the time). I'm currently working on cargo, using a slightly new texture mechanic. So it requires a bit more work than a standard block.

(I should probably say it is NOT connected textures... i know what you guys are like with speculation :p )

Carved stone wedges please... awkward hull ramps for my stone floors look awkward... Also yeah, have we unlocked anything yet?
    They're on the list. :)

ice wedge and carved rock wedge are probably the most requested...
    Ice wedge has been requested directly to me exactly twice. Both by yourself iirc? :D

Reactions: SkylordLuke

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Also, may I (without ignoring the purpose of this thread too much...) request wedges for the decorative wires/pipes? I find myself using circuits as wedges for them and it gets kinda ugly.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Also, may I (without ignoring the purpose of this thread too much...) request wedges for the decorative wires/pipes? I find myself using circuits as wedges for them and it gets kinda ugly.
    This doesn't really work (currently). I've tried it before and the results were buggy. Rotations and texture application would need to be changed for this to be a thing.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    This doesn't really work (currently). I've tried it before and the results were buggy. Rotations and texture application would need to be changed for this to be a thing.
    I asked about this very thing during the Q&A but I don't believe I worded it correctly, as it was never answered. Is there plans to work this issue out or is it really low on the list of things to do right now? I know how you guys have a lot going on and it's really an aesthetic issue.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I asked about this very thing during the Q&A but I don't believe I worded it correctly, as it was never answered. Is there plans to work this issue out or is it really low on the list of things to do right now? I know how you guys have a lot going on and it's really an aesthetic issue.
    Yea, i think we will have to. There are a few things that we would like that don't quite work correctly currently.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Yea, i think we will have to. There are a few things that we would like that don't quite work correctly currently.
    Please take slabs as an opportunity to fix the mapping issues. It would be a shame for them to be ruined by squished textures.