Kupu's thread

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm sorry for this kupu, but it appears jump drive textures are broke...
    2 of the frames don't have any lit up bits
    Thank you for this, mate. A fix has been made and will be in the upcoming bugfix release. :)

Look at all these things we are yet to unlock!

The next release will feature a much requested, Brown Crystal Armor.
    Ok... ok. It's not as exciting as a brand new colour... But you don't unlock the good stuff at lvl 1 right?!

What else is happening graphically? What bugs are we fixing?

Well, that jump drive module for one. ^^

The major headache for us was the mip maps creating a noisy pattern when viewing blocks from a distance.
    The good news is we know exactly what is causing it. The bad news is the fix we created unfortunately doesn't work with hazard stripes (it breaks them quite badly). We are now exploring different avenues to try and combat these graphical artefacts to try and bring you the smoothest looking Starmade we can.

For now you may of noticed that normal mapping for Hull blocks have been removed. This is a temporary measure to try and decrease the effect until a better solution is available to us.

Have you found a texture bug recently? Just tag me in the post and i'll respond asap. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think people have asked for this before, but for the sake of all our pretty engine glows, could we please get ice wedges? Not ice crystal, but ice. Like, the partially translucent frozen water stuff that generates all over ice planets, and turns whatever color (besides red) of light that you feed into it.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I think people have asked for this before, but for the sake of all our pretty engine glows, could we please get ice wedges? Not ice crystal, but ice. Like, the partially translucent stuff that turns whatever color (besides red) of light that you feed into it.
    I'll look into it.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The major headache for us was the mip maps creating a noisy pattern when viewing blocks from a distance.
    The good news is we know exactly what is causing it. The bad news is the fix we created unfortunately doesn't work with hazard stripes (it breaks them quite badly). We are now exploring different avenues to try and combat these graphical artefacts to try and bring you the smoothest looking Starmade we can.
    Have you considered an LOD approach? At the distance the artefacts are a problem, you can't see the strips on a hazard block. You could have something where if you are to far away from that block, the hazard stripes turn into yellow/white hull texture wise and switch back when you are close enough

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Have you considered an LOD approach? At the distance the artefacts are a problem, you can't see the strips on a hazard block. You could have something where if you are to far away from that block, the hazard stripes turn into yellow/white hull texture wise and switch back when you are close enough
    Yea. We *could* manually create our own set of mipmaps to be used at interval distances. But this has a few performance inhibiting aspects. This is Schema's least favourite option available to him, as i understand it.

We want to look into texture arrays again before we start doing anything else.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Please the cat god, for he who controls the pay controls the world.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The next release will feature a much requested, Brown Crystal Armor.
    Ok... ok. It's not as exciting as a brand new colour... But you don't unlock the good stuff at lvl 1 right?!
    Psssh most excited ive been in years!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm confused. These textures look different... is everyone using the default or the realistic pack? Because iirc when I chose the realistic I got a message that it wasn't supported?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I'm confused. These textures look different... is everyone using the default or the realistic pack? Because iirc when I chose the realistic I got a message that it wasn't supported?
    I use Default texture pack.
    And realistic texture pack IS NOT supported anymore. (6+ months now)
    Its a relic of the old times.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    If you (or anyone else) are still using the "Realistic" texture pack, i strongly urge you to change to the Default : 256 option.

New versions of the game no longer ship the "realistic" pack and it will only still exist in old installations because the launcher doesn't delete files from your computer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Any chances to see wormholes that doesn't look like random play with "Plasma" filter?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, the wormhole effect needs revision. So does the inside-the-sun effect, which also happens to be used inside wormholes for some reason...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thanks a bunch guys. I think my textures look different because of the (lack of) specular mapping. It seems to be a real performance killer!

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Thanks a bunch guys. I think my textures look different because of the (lack of) specular mapping. It seems to be a real performance killer!
    Yea they do increase the performance cost a fair bit. Although you might be able to turn 2D Texture Compression ON in the advanced options, this will help a fair bit.

If it is already turned on, you may just need to turn off the normal / specular / emissive option to regain playable FPS, (or turn down the procedural background texture size).
    [DOUBLEPOST=1447155339,1447155178][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Any chances to see wormholes that doesn't look like random play with "Plasma" filter?
    Yeah, the wormhole effect needs revision. So does the inside-the-sun effect, which also happens to be used inside wormholes for some reason...
    Yea. These will be looked into eventually. Unfortunately it's not a "kupu only" task. It's mostly math, which i don't really understand enough to make new from scratch. Lets keep schema on the main features until he needs a mini project as a break or something.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yea they do increase the performance cost a fair bit. Although you might be able to turn 2D Texture Compression ON in the advanced options, this will help a fair bit.

If it is already turned on, you may just need to turn off the normal / specular / emissive option to regain playable FPS, (or turn down the procedural background texture size).
    [DOUBLEPOST=1447155339,1447155178][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yea. These will be looked into eventually. Unfortunately it's not a "kupu only" task. It's mostly math, which i don't really understand enough to make new from scratch. Lets keep schema on the main features until he needs a mini project as a break or something.
    Alright, then, let's get BearishMushroom to do it then. :P

Reactions: BearishMushroom
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey kupu, would you happen to have any comparative screenshots or something to illustrate different specular values (in StarMade)? Emissive and shine values appear to work as expected/explained, but in my experiments so far I can't see any difference from changing specular values. Not sure if it's just not working or if it could be coincidentally related to the colors/normal of the texture I'm working on, lighting angle(s), or the value maxing out from the exponential calculation in the shader.

On basically identical blocks I've set the specular map color to 5% (nearly black) on one and 45% (gray) on the other. (Referring to representation as a mask in GIMP; black in the mask translates to transparent alpha.) Since it happens to be an animated block (shields) I even set two frames light and two dark, and don't see any difference in lighting characteristics during the animation. Just feeling a bit confused and wondering if a particular combination of color, texture (normal), and lighting would make the difference more apparent. Oh yeah, I was mainly using the flashlight since it generally highlights these features.