Jump drives with Overdrive slaves - range boost

Reaction score
    I'd just like to add to the call to be able to make Overdrive computers slaves of Jump-drives.

An earlier thread called for all kinds of slave effects, but at a minimum the ability to slave overdrive computers would be really good IMO. For example, a 100% ratio of slaved overdrives to jump drives could give a 50% range bonus. This would have the added benefit of reducing server lag, as less sectors would need to be loaded for a given journey.

Also, I feel this implementation would be logically consistent with the content already in the game, without making jump drives too overpowered.

Previous thread: Jump Drive Ideas

Edit - another old thread: Overdrive Jump Drives

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If an active defensive overdrive increased both, the power consumption and the range, schema wouldn't need to add slave mechanics for overdrive. For example, if a jump drive is charged 50% without overdrive and 50% with a maximum bonus overdrive, the range would be 125% (0.5*1 +0.5*1.5).

Reaction score
    For example, if a jump drive is charged 50% without overdrive and 50% with a maximum bonus overdrive, the range would be 125% (0.5*1 +0.5*1.5).
    While that is good, I'd personally rather have it be a master/slave system.
    This way, I don't have to worry as much about "do I have enough power to charge the drive" in smaller craft.

Before you even dare to say "aux power", that shit be explosive yo, and I'd rather not have my shuttlecraft detonate simply because a pirate (or asshole player) took a pot-shot at me, from more than a sector away, with it's anti-titan penis-gun. (not missile, GUN)

Without aux-power, the shot simply blasts clear through, and I know to go ahead and jump-the-fuck-outta-there, assuming the jump-drive, or it's computer, were both charged and did not get hit.
    [doublepost=1476502172,1476501793][/doublepost]The master/slave mechanic has an extra advantage, though not in raw-performance.

Role-playing. As in, that thing that about 1/4 to 1/2 of the active, communicating playerbase does to at least some extent. (and most of the good youtubers that aren't just builders do nearly constantly).

With Master/slave, I can build a ship who's regular engine is about as fast as a fly in tree-sap, but who's jump-drive is practically greased-lightning, and build a "competitor" ship who's regular engine is outstanding, but who's jump drive is "THE" bare-bones utility model.

hell, that right there sounds like fun. (the designing, not the math that some of you would use to do the designing)