Overdrive Jump Drives

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Simply put, let us slave overdrives to our jump drives. Use the standard 3x effect for 6x power cost it does for everything else, to get upwards of 3x the distance for 6x the charging cost.

Small ships that can't afford 6x the energy cost of a max power jump drive have shorter jumps, while larger ships that can afford the power can make longer jumps.

And while we're at it, overdrive the jump inhibitor as well to make sure it can keep up.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've always found the power cost for jump drives on ships to be negligible once you get past the initial barrier. This would more or less just raise the barrier for entry and once you get past that point there would never be any reason not to use it.

Reaction score
    and here i thought you were gunna just say 3x the charge speed for 6x the power cost that would have made sense to me but i'm not really for increasing the range as that hurts warp gates in the long run.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    and here i thought you were gunna just say 3x the charge speed for 6x the power cost that would have made sense to me but i'm not really for increasing the range as that hurts warp gates in the long run.
    Maybe they could also make it so warp gates can utilize overdrive, with the corresponding increase in power usage.

Reaction score
    Maybe they could also make it so warp gates can utilize overdrive, with the corresponding increase in power usage.
    and while we are at it why don't we add overdrive to warp disruptors 3x strength for 6x power savin that block space and all that.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    If jumps get OD linkage, gates would need it as well. I'd be happy to see gates reach neighboring galaxies with a single gate.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    and while we are at it why don't we add overdrive to warp disruptors 3x strength for 6x power savin that block space and all that.
    I do believe the OP said the inhibitors should get overdrive as well so that they can maintain parity with jump drives.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1444672318,1444672269][/DOUBLEPOST]
    If jumps get OD linkage, gates would need it as well. I'd be happy to see gates reach neighboring galaxies with a single gate.
    I don't think what the OP has suggested would translate into warp gates being able to reach other galaxies in one go. That is a bit much, I think.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Warp gates are currently 128 sectors, or 8 systems. If you OD'ed on a Warpgate that would get you up to 24 systems.

That still wouldn't be enough to reach another galaxy in one shot

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I was under the impression that jump & gate range varied by server. Is that not the case?

Are we sure it's "meant" to be hard? Different sci-fi universes certainly run differently.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I was under the impression that jump & gate range varied by server. Is that not the case?

Are we sure it's "meant" to be hard? Different sci-fi universes certainly run differently.
    The ranges can be adjusted in the BlockBehaviorConfig.xml

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Server configurable, but default is 128 sectors. Since we don't know what any given server will do, we have to refer to the default game settings.
    Yes, the devs have flat out said that not only is getting to another galaxy supposed to be hard, its supposed to be a lot harder than it is now. They have plans to fill the interstellar void with all sorts of nasties to make venturing to another galaxy be quite difficult indeed.
    I've always found the power cost for jump drives on ships to be negligible once you get past the initial barrier. This would more or less just raise the barrier for entry and once you get past that point there would never be any reason not to use it.
    On my gunboat, moving and charging the jump drive at the same time is enough to chew through the ship's base softcap power and into the batteries pretty quickly (which is usually the big tip off that my docked reactors' wireless blocks unlinked again).

With my docked reactors I can move and charge the drive without dipping into my reserves, but if that drive were suddenly 6x more expensive? At that point I think I would be needing docked reactors purely for the jump drive.

Last edited: