IS THIS A BUG?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There is really no way I can explain this without demonstrating it myself so I prepared a short video.
    (yeah I uploaded this to my normal channel deal with it)

Now the reason I question whether or not this should actually be listed as a bug is Starmade is not really a physics simulator and shouldn't be treated as such. In fact gaining motion by changing the center of mass breaks the normal laws of physics anyway.

Note also that the demonstration ship.. Is for demonstration I don't expect this to be fixed so that people can use this as a method of locomotion. Rather that cargo actually have correct mass(es) and that dedicated cargo ships would be effected by it.

Whether or not this "bug" is fixed/altered I'm not sure It would effect normal game play but I could some clever uses of this should correct masses be a thing.
    So discuss. Should this actually be considered a bug that should be fixed? Or does it not really matter?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I don't see this as a bug... Only because I don't believe it was ever supposed to be implemented

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    It's not a bug, but a feature. The devs implemented a system based on inertial tensors, somewhere back when the HP update came out. Ships since rotated from center of mass, not from the core.

Reaction score
    i think this is a bug, cargo block not updating the overall mass.
    you should open the HUD of center of mass for double check.
    you should able to see the center of mass shift when placing block manually.
    And it don't move/havn't update if there are changes in cargo. So this is a bug.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1461555666,1461555591][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It's not a bug, but a feature. The devs implemented a system based on inertial tensors, somewhere back when the HP update came out. Ships since rotated from center of mass, not from the core.
    you havn't watch all do you:p
    the first part is a feature, but the second part is a bug for this feature

Reactions: kiddan

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You're exactly right, I'd bet that the only the total amount of cargo in a ship applies, and that that mass is all applied at the center of mass. The reason it's like this is that it's probably too much load on peoples computers for the game to check if any given cargo block has cargo, how much cargo it has, and then determine what the mass of that cargo block should be and what that mass in it's position should do to effect the center of mass on a ship.

Wonder if you've seen this yet

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, I missed it. Totally should have watched the entire thing.

That actually does need to be fixed, but it should be simple. Non-solid cargo blocks should have no mass, but the solid cargo blocks do. Keep the slabs fixed at the same weight as a full block, and the system won't cause too much lag.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    OBLIGATORY SCOTT MANLY VIDEO!
    EDIT: removed

Ninjaed by Jaask lol

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    It's just not implemented yet. The same goes for docked entities, their mass doesn't affect the rotation speed of the mothership either.