Is Starmade a Steam scam ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Lets see, it has a lot of bugs, lack of content, balance, objective, boring, etc.
    And on all updates you will see no fix on any of this itens, and new features that seen to be made just for marketing ( rails, hp system, shipward, bether editing tools ).
    In the comunity, you will see odd politics made to shut up peaple that wants to talk about it, like fake ellections, topics closed with out arguments, and I will not be surprised if this topic itself desaperss after 1h ( it is on steam also if you wanto to follow).
    Just it makes pointless to use the foruns since the company seens to not care about what the gamers thinks, about sugestions etc.
    In videos and promess it looks to focus on minecraft and eve-online related players, they do a good job on this, but on the game itself is boring, with servers empty and peaple leaving the game after a few hours playing it.
    I know the editing tools are good, but it seens they focus on it just because its part of the marketing.
    But promess of an infinite universe with big faction wars for resources ? Unlimited things to do and explore ? If you play the game in survival you will know there is no such things.
    I have seeing this before, unfortunally its a good scam and works, the next that will happens will be a release of incomplete game that nobody will play, and since the company is an unknow indy company there is no reputation lost.
    So what do you think ?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I never heard of posts that got deleated.
    if you would read the other peoples posts, you could see, that suggestions were implemented into the game,
    and when you see the progress and the small team of programmers its really great.
    And the game is still for free.
    And its early alpha... bugs and not yet includet content for free ^^
    So why hating it, when you got no clue what you talking about?

Greez and welcome in the community

Reactions: Criss

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    How it would be a steam's "scam" if it's currently free to play ?

Reaction score
    Definitely not a scam. Granted you have to understand many indie devs walk into making games without a solid plan, so its a VERY high failure rate section of the industry. Just don't let your experiences elsewhere make you jaded for here.

As far as Starmade current quality, its fairly solid and the types of bug introduced each iteration are minimal in effect. No major stoppages. They aren't aiming for a Steam money grab, because the demo on Steam is fully playable for a long time, plus you don't even have to have steam on to play the game.

Currently the PVE elements of the game are limited. It is more of a social interaction game currently till more features come into play.
    If you are playing with yourself you aren't getting the full experience. Go play with others and you will get more enjoyment from it.

Reactions: Circuitbomb
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This screams flame-bait which is against the rules of the forums. That's why posts get deleted/ locked. They exist solely for the purpose of getting people annoyed and frustrated into responding.

Yes it is an alpha game and there are a lot of bugs that need fixed, especially when a new feature is rolled out like the rails. The game is also only as boring if your creativity is limited. Lots of people can spend hours just building and never get bored. Does faction interaction and PVE need expanded? YES, but those are big updates as well and will take time.

The game also existed a long time by itself before being added to Steam. So no, this is not a steam scam. You will probably never see Jim Sterling do a video on Starmade.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If that's what you think of this game and community, welcome, because you're obviously new.
    And how do you even think the elections are fake?

Reaction score
    Hi guys, thanks for the answers.
    I few months a go I was playing a game with similar name with similar idea, called starforge. Its an know scan on steam.
    And everything I saw in the starforge development and deploy I am seeing here right now.
    I hold to talk about it max I could, but after I got restricted in the forum just because I spoke about the impeachment and bad ellection, my suspecte grows a lot.
    I hope I am mistaken and it grows as a big game, but I am not seeing this on the game and reviews from others, and not seeing any real progress on the development after the steam release.
    Hope you guys are right and I am wrong. Maybe it will be more clear after the next release, who knows.
    Please, point me up any significant feature made after the steam relase, or even planned to next release, not related to marketing ( make the game seens good on videos like rails ) , maybe it could could down my frustration.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    We trust in our main Cat and were all believe, that it will be a great 1.0 Version in some years, or maybe month? Guess not.
    But i follow the game for about 4 years. Schema once sayd he worked for the code for now about 9 or 10 years.
    He wanted to make the greatest space game.
    Noone could belive, that these days Space games got so popular like they are today.
    So the gameidea or base code is even older than minecraft.
    a month ago there came more coders to the team.
    So its going well.
    And hey i know starforge and dont liked it eather.
    Other game, other team, other community.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Lets see:

The election was satisfactory and not at all "fake". I ran, and lost, and don't feel badly about it at all.

The drama surrounding the impeachment is not something I will talk about, but people who believe they "lost their voice" do not understand the situation or facts at all.

The devs, and now the council, most certainly DO listen to the community. Most of the features you call "marketing" were directly requested and brainstormed by the players themselves.

Politics don't shut people up here, mods do, when people get aggro and nonsensical.

Development continues apace, and hundreds of bugs are nailed with every major release along with new features. (Not to mention sub releases)

I would like to add my welcome to everyone elses! Hopefully you find your groove with us and can celebrate when it eventually releases as polished and complete as can be. Until then, remember it IS alpha, and only recently have things really picked up in pace.

EDIT: Since you asked for upcoming features, Ship HP, multiple hotbars, and center of mass rotation are all in the works.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I hold to talk about it max I could, but after I got restricted in the forum just because I spoke about the impeachment and bad ellection, my suspecte grows a lot.
    Where were you restricted?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hi guys, thanks for the answers.
    I few months a go I was playing a game with similar name with similar idea, called starforge. Its an know scan on steam.
    And everything I saw in the starforge development and deploy I am seeing here right now.
    I hope I am mistaken and it grows as a big game, but I am not seeing this on the game and reviews from others, and not seeing any real progress on the development after the steam release.
    Hope you guys are right and I am wrong. Maybe it will be more clear after the next release, who knows.
    Please, point me up any significant feature made after the steam relase, or even planned to next release, not related to marketing ( make the game seens good on videos like rails ) , maybe it could could down my frustration.
    What makes you think rails was done solely for marketing? Schema is very passionate about his game and had been planning a docking overhaul probably since before the steam release. It just worked out to make the rails and docking the same thing.

Also the Tomino situation was extremely unfortunate but doesn't make the election "fake". The entire subject needs to be dropped. If you are part of the MF community or watch Toms Youtube channel, great. You were not there for the incident and should not blindly follow what anybody says. If you feel your voice has been silenced then please reach out to the other councilors. We all have open ears and want to support the game and it's community, that's what we signed up for.

Reaction score
    The last active post on sugestion about 500k limit, that has a lot of active discution just got restricted by keptick, the guy that was ellected with out ellection in the place of Komino.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    EDIT: Since you asked for upcoming features, Ship HP, multiple hotbars, and center of mass rotation are all in the works.
    You forgot cumulative armor. The total amount of armor on the ship will contribute towards mitigating some of the damage on any armored block, meaning that finally, armor has an actual use - even interiors, which are usually made of armor blocks, will now contribute heavily to a ship's ability to withstand hits while shields are down.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The last active post on sugestion about 500k limit, that has a lot of active discution just got restricted by keptick, the guy that was ellected with out ellection in the place of Komino.
    The election results were already in, and used to find the next person applicable. Kep was not "selected". The discussion about ship size is honestly very old hat, there are quite a few threads on it, and the general consensus is that it will not be a standard feature but may be an option somewhere down the line.

Reaction score
    What makes you think rails was done solely for marketing? Schema is very passionate about his game and had been planning a docking overhaul probably since before the steam release. It just worked out to make the rails and docking the same thing.
    Well, the rails coincide with the steam and official video. I know its an good feature and probably necessary, I am just not sure if it was the right time since there is much other urgent things to do.

And about the new planned features ?
    Shipward: what is the usefull for the gameplay ? I see no improvement, I see no point to spend time on development of it other then marketing.
    Hp system ? The same, unless it has performance reasons.

Also the Tomino situation was extremely unfortunate but doesn't make the election "fake". The entire subject needs to be dropped. If you are part of the MF community or watch Toms Youtube channel, great. You were not there for the incident and should not blindly follow what anybody says. If you feel your voice has been silenced then please reach out to the other councilors. We all have open ears and want to support the game and it's community, that's what we signed up for
    There is anywhere with informations about exactly what hapens ? And why and how keptick was ellected ? I know its not something to be discuss, but if you have information you could share it would be nice, I could not find any and this is why my frustration.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Well, the rails coincide with the steam and official video. I know its an good feature and probably necessary, I am just not sure if it was the right time since there is much other urgent things to do.

And about the new planned features ?
    Shipward: what is the usefull for the gameplay ? I see no improvement, I see no point to spend time on development of it other then marketing.
    Hp system ? The same, unless it has performance reasons.

There is anywhere with informations about exactly what hapens ? And why and how keptick was ellected ? I know its not something to be discuss, but if you have information you could share it would be nice, I could not find any and this is why my frustration.
    The rail system isn't necessary? You don't even know how many problems it solves and what possibilities it allows.
    Shipyard isn't useful for gameplay? Nice one, it will add more things to do in the game, and will fix the current blueprint system.
    OH STOP WITH THE GOD DAMN JOKES, HP system? I won't even say something here, its obvious.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    There is no way to know what happened honestly. It all happened behind close curtains and falls over a part of NDA iirc. Either way, we can not get the official logs and even if you did get them, editing a conversation is not hard. Sad as that is.

unless it has performance reasons.
    Performance boosting has always been a "beta" thing in my mind. "Alpha" is more about adding the large core features. HP? It helps a lot with PvP and survive-ability of ships. I honestly think that is more important, otherwise we would just have MORE people complaining about combat and just leaving the game. If it's optimization, then at least a part of those people will say "I'll come back when it works better".

Status
    Not open for further replies.