Introducing The United Star Axis

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well, my GTX 760 seems to be doing fine. This thing is a tank but I'll be keeping an eye on it just in case.

IF I need to replace my graphics card, ideally, I'd buy another of the same card. Unfortunately, that card is no longer being sold new and I refuse to pay nearly full price for a used card so I've been sizing up these two models...

EVGA GTX1060 ACX
    Pros: Under $300, 6GB ram, Best GPU of my choices, solid reputation so far
    Cons: 192bit memory interface (I currently have 256bit)

Gigabyte GTX970 micro-ATX
    Pros: Under $300, 4GB ram, solid GPU, 256bit memory like my GTX 760.
    Cons: Not an EVGA, Despite promising reviews, it's hard to tell if this is the card (out of 4 different models) that is getting all the high ratings.

In the end, my choice hinges on two questions
    1) Between Memory size or bandwidth... In a game like StarMade, which has a bigger impact when there is a LOT of stuff on the screen?
    2) Can I trust Gigabyte to make a solid gaming card or should I avoid them like the plague and stick with EVGA?

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. Also, if you have other options in the $300 range that I haven't mentioned, I'd love to hear them.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, my GTX 760 seems to be doing fine. This thing is a tank but I'll be keeping an eye on it just in case.

IF I need to replace my graphics card, ideally, I'd buy another of the same card. Unfortunately, that card is no longer being sold new and I refuse to pay nearly full price for a used card so I've been sizing up these two models...

EVGA GTX1060 ACX
    Pros: Under $300, 6GB ram, Best GPU of my choices, solid reputation so far
    Cons: 192bit memory interface (I currently have 256bit)

Gigabyte GTX970 micro-ATX
    Pros: Under $300, 4GB ram, solid GPU, 256bit memory like my GTX 760.
    Cons: Not an EVGA, Despite promising reviews, it's hard to tell if this is the card (out of 4 different models) that is getting all the high ratings.

In the end, my choice hinges on two questions
    1) Between Memory size or bandwidth... In a game like StarMade, which has a bigger impact when there is a LOT of stuff on the screen?
    2) Can I trust Gigabyte to make a solid gaming card or should I avoid them like the plague and stick with EVGA?

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. Also, if you have other options in the $300 range that I haven't mentioned, I'd love to hear them.
    I'll spout my usual garbage of choosing an AMD RX 480 over the GTX 1060. The 8GB 480 is generally slightly cheaper than the 6GB 1060, is slightly slower in DX11. It gets interesting when you switch to DX12 though, as then the 480 is vastly superior to the 1060. Besides, Nvidia are being nasty price gouging pests this gen.

Don't even look at the 970, it's not worth it anymore. And every gigabyte card I've had has had issues, so there's that too.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'll spout my usual garbage of choosing an AMD RX 480 over the GTX 1060. The 8GB 480 is generally slightly cheaper than the 6GB 1060, is slightly slower in DX11. It gets interesting when you switch to DX12 though, as then the 480 is vastly superior to the 1060. Besides, Nvidia are being nasty price gouging pests this gen.

Don't even look at the 970, it's not worth it anymore. And every gigabyte card I've had has had issues, so there's that too.
    Thanks for the tips.

You're right about nVidia's gouging. My 4GB GTX 760 was less than $300 2-3 years ago and still had 256bit memory bandwidth. It seems you can't get a reliable nVidia card at that price point with 256 bandwidth anymore.

I'll admit, I wasn't paying much attention to ATI/AMD since their products tend to run hotter. I can install an aftermarket CPU fan with no problem but a failing GPU fan will leave me dead in the water. I know chipset manufacturer, card manufacturer and fan quality are all relevant when picking a graphics card. Does ATI have their act together with regard to heat dissipation?

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Thanks for the tips.

You're right about nVidia's gouging. My 4GB GTX 760 was less than $300 2-3 years ago and still had 256bit memory bandwidth. It seems you can't get a reliable nVidia card at that price point with 256 bandwidth anymore.

I'll admit, I wasn't paying much attention to ATI/AMD since their products tend to run hotter. I can install an aftermarket CPU fan with no problem but a failing GPU fan will leave me dead in the water. I know chipset manufacturer, card manufacturer and fan quality are all relevant when picking a graphics card. Does ATI have their act together with regard to heat dissipation?
    Yeah, they got their act together after the 300-series. The current Gen do run a little warmer than their counterparts, but that really comes down to the cooling solution you buy. If you were looking at that route, Sapphire make the best AMD cards, with MSI being up there too.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Glad to know not everything was lost. (y)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    My new station project is nearing completion. Unlike the Mobile Command System, this project is a true space station. It is designed to be relatively inexpensive and easy to build, early in the game; with the potential to rapidly expand in both size and defensive capacity. When first deployed, the structure is unarmed, with only minimal shielding; relying on home base protection to survive. However, as the station is upgraded, it will be capable of fending off sustained heavy attacks without the use of home base protection.

Axis Trade Center (WIP)

Structure Type: Civilian deep space commercial station
    Builder: Nexus Inc.
    Affiliation: United Star Axis
    Planned Defenses: heavy regenerative shield matrix, upgraded point defense systems, H.A.R.D. (Heavy Automated Regional Defense) system
    Amenities:
    - Public docking for up to 8 starships. Bring your friends
    - Hotel: We have 6 private hotel rooms available to guests. Get an access code for from the front desk and stick around for a while.
    - Shop: Conduct business with the local market. The Axis sells highly discounted mining and industrial equipment to aid new players.
    - Public Industrial Facilities: Volcov Industries offers free refining, recycling and manufacturing services to visitors.
    - Public hospital: The Axis provides free healthcare to all citizens and visitors. Use our medical supplies for minor injuries or set as your spawn point so that if you're mortally wounded, you'll wake up in the emergency room instead of the starting sector.
    Nexus Station1.jpg
    Nexus Station3.jpg
    Ships will be allowed to dock to the 4 pylons. Elevators inside the structure grant access to the "North City". The "South City" is a work in progress and currently serving as decoration.

Nexus Station2.jpg
    Volcov factory with a sneak peak of my new micro armor suits. The yellow one is decoration but the two white ones are mobile with anti-personnel capability.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I just had an interesting fight against a former generation Pathfinder while flying a Lancer. I sustained very little damage, which is a stark contrast from my attempt to fight one of these ships in the Pathfinder MK6; in which case, I took major damage.

As you may know, the Lancer functions like the starship equivalent of a Sniper; firing large caliber shells to penetrate heavy armor and wreck internal systems. Originally, it had only basic hull and suffered from severe mobility issues but I've refit the Lancer with advanced armor, more thrust and shielding and switched out 2 of the light missile turrets for my new prototype heavy, long range point defense turrets.

Average engagement range was about 6.8 km with a 5km sector server config. My tactics were simply but nasty; drop their shields from a safe distance with the rail gun, ignore the ion cannon; letting my armor tank the beam when the shields failed, let the point defense guns do their thing, then finish the job with some missiles. Worked like a charm...

Lancer vs Pathfinder.jpg

If you look closely, you will see something that looks like "vents" on the bottom and sides of the Pathfinder. This is actually the rail gun's explosive effect causing cavitational damage as the shells penetrated the forward missile bay; passing through the entire length of the ship. A larger version of this weapon is being tested in turret form...

Lancer vs Pathfinder3.jpg Lancer vs Pathfinder2.jpg

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm taking a slightly different approach to station point defense this time. I'm revisiting the old "close formation defensive fighter concept" again to give my turrets better clearance of the station's city structures. These guys have a longer engagement range and spit a LOT of lead at incoming missiles but they haven't been fully battle tested yet. We'll see how well it works out.

In the mean time, if anyone would like to try some out, they are available
    here... Feel free to rate and comment.
    Point Defense CFDF.jpg Point Defense CFDF group.jpg

Reaction score
    I love following your stuff. I settled on a GTX 1070. Got it on Cyber Monday for about 320 bucks.

When I finally get up and running, I'd like to join the ranks of those vying for smaller scale, anti-gigantism in their ships. Hurah!

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Ballista Class (WIP)

Manufacturer: Nexus Inc, Fairborne Naval Industries
    Role: light cruiser / medium support craft
    Mass: 13,500
    Defense: 2,000,000 shields. Advanced Armor plating.
    Armament: medium range gauss cannons, ion beam turrets, guided missiles, ion pulse cannon, point defense units

Based on the smaller Lancer hull design, the Ballista, is designed for sustained combat operations. It has a balanced weapons loadout similar to the Lancer with a somewhat shorter weapons range but still well beyond standard weapons range. Double the thrust and more than triple the shielding allow it to keep pace with opponents, take more punishment and get out of dodge when needed. This is a work in progress that will be undergoing extensive revisions and testing over the next few weeks.
    Ballista 01.jpg Ballista 02.jpg Ballista 03.jpg

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You ought to make an NPC faction mod featuring the United Star Axis. (y)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    While I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a true StarMade Mod, I am working on a project where players will be able to learn about our conflict with the fictional enemies from my "who's who" section in my faction lore page; "The United Earth Governments" (UEG).

When I create the UEG, I plan to make most of their ships available on community content to simulate the mass exportation of military hardware by modern governments ( Abrams tanks sold to Egypt, T72 Tanks to Iraq, F-14s sold to Israel, etc). Some older Star Axis ships may be refit and uploaded as well. Then I will incorporate multiplayer factions into my conflict; as they will be flying the same ships as our enemies. They can play the role of the UEG and attack us in role play, negotiate for peace as neutrals or even join our fight against the oppressive UEG as Axis supporters.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    While I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a true StarMade Mod, I am working on a project where players will be able to learn about our conflict with the fictional enemies from my "who's who" section in my faction lore page; "The United Earth Governments" (UEG).

When I create the UEG, I plan to make most of their ships available on community content to simulate the mass exportation of military hardware by modern governments ( Abrams tanks sold to Egypt, T72 Tanks to Iraq, F-14s sold to Israel, etc). Some older Star Axis ships may be refit and uploaded as well. Then I will incorporate multiplayer factions into my conflict; as they will be flying the same ships as our enemies. They can play the role of the UEG and attack us in role play, negotiate for peace as neutrals or even join our fight against the oppressive UEG as Axis supporters.
    It's not hard to actually make an NPC faction ya know. :P

I could help if you want. I've got a whole discord server for that express purpose. ;)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It's not hard to actually make an NPC faction ya know. :P

I could help if you want. I've got a whole discord server for that express purpose. ;)
    Really? :confused:

Then I guess I really need to talk to you. I'll take you up on that offer when my UEG ships are complete. Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
    I just popped in to say:
    I know you've heard it before. I know you'll hear it again.

But...

Holy
    Crap.

Everything you've posted on here is awesome. Keep it up man!

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I just popped in to say:
    I know you've heard it before. I know you'll hear it again.

But...

Holy
    Crap.

Everything you've posted on here is awesome. Keep it up man!
    Thanks man,

That really made my day.
    :)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9

SR-4 Javelin

Manufacturer: Nexus Inc
    Role:
    Medium support fighter
    Defense: 4,000 shields, Standard and Advanced Armor plating.
    Armament: dual gauss cannons, particle flare

New fighter X2.jpg