High speed rails systems

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It may have been asked already but didn't find a good thread about it thought.
    Why don't make the ability to make high speed rails so so players would be able to build big monorails or MAGLEVs system across big stations? It would make moving across the station easier and you could event buils an automatic, timed system that makes trains goes on their own and make the stations lively.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I was disappointed at how slow rails were the very first time I used them. I'd built a space elevator type thing to get from the planetary surface to a ship docking area way above and it took a minute or two for the elevator to travel. Then I discovered transporters and never touched rails again.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would love high speed rails.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's programmatically possible. With faster rails, the physics software needs to run much faster and in more depth and optimization. As it is, high-speed rails will allow short "trains" (whether they be rail doors, stubby torpedoes, or whatever) to pass through walls, or otherwise violate common sense rules. Basically, instead of running tests of where things are right-this-moment, the game would need to draw a ray to indicate all the positions that the object would have been in between frames, and test for that entire continuum of distance.

Work-around: You can get some exceptional linear speed by placing a long-arm rotating object on a mass-balanced (supplied with sufficient mass enhancers) rotator. The end of the rotating arm will be moving at high velocity in a circle around the rotator.

There was a picture or video someone posted labeled "warp speed", where they designed a rocketship as the end of a rotating arm, placed on a rotator set to autorotate indefinitely. The rocketship was several hundred blocks away from the rotor, so it looked like it was flying at a very high speed.

For a high-speed rail, using rotors, you could lock the train at a stopping point at one of the four cardinal directions around the central rotator, and then use plex door to close the gap between the landing and the train.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    No no, it would be high speed rails OR the ability to have a free rail that allow a ship to move on 1 axis and accelerate with thrusters.
    It would be awesome to make this train works.
    You can make it work by these extendable rails. I get what you mean but this is a possible workaround for now, but Crimson-Artist 's solution is the best in the current system.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I was disappointed at how slow rails were the very first time I used them. I'd built a space elevator type thing to get from the planetary surface to a ship docking area way above and it took a minute or two for the elevator to travel. Then I discovered transporters and never touched rails again.
    Lol, me too! :)

I did find the rail speed controller handy to speed things up, but found the old gravity elevator trick is so much better.
    Oh, the speed controller freezes at max speed on my single player mode. Guess that could be my PC as the bottleneck there though.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    eh I made a high-speed circular monorail by using a rotator and "hanging" the cars 100-or so blocks off to the side. "high speed" is a relative term, but it's easily achievable in that way, as longer radius= "faster" movement along that radius.

Reactions: jayman38