Please make rails default speed faster (work around)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would like to see rails that can move about 4x faster, as shown here without the need for this space consuming work around.

Even with the rail speed controller set to max linear motion is just so slow

In the mean time we will have to use this setup for faster lifts etc.

Also, i wander if it is possible to break the max server speed by stacking rails like this...

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    You could definitely break the max server speed but unfortunately objects to not inherit the velocity of their parent rail when they undock so no ship launchers.

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Also agreed. And while I don't think it should be possible to break server max speed, I think allowing a rail-docked entity to inherit the velocity of its mothership while undocking should be allowed if only for catapult decks on carriers and other such novelties. To ensure server speed settings are respected we can limit the velocity inheritance to one layer. So if you have a stack like above, the undocked entity would conserve the momentum of the entity it was docked to relative to the entity that THAT entity was docked to. So if you have three rail launchers on a planet surface each going 50m/s with a drone on top, the drone would move 15om/s when docked but only 50m/s when undocked.

Alternatively we can raise rail speeds to the server max setting but then impose a penalty for chain docking, where the top speed of any set of chain-docked rail segments is server max speed divided by the number of chained rails. So in the previous example, if the server max speed was 150m/s, a rail on a ship, station, or planet would move an object with nothing else docked to it at 150, but an object with a second object docked to it would move 75m/s, etc.

We could also implement my previous idea of increasing a ship's effective mass relative to its velocity as a percentage of server max speed using the Lorentz transformation (basically inducing the effects of general relativity with respect to mass using server max speed as a substitute for speed of light), then have a docked entity's effective mass determine whether it suffers a movement penalty for exceeding the rail's mass limit.

There are various ways we can enforce server speed limits on rails, but the point of the matter is they are still too damn slow.

Reactions: Winterhome

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    How about instead of just raising the max speed, we allow the Rail Speed Controller to also increase speed (and thus increase mass enhancer requirements for that object)?

...also, inherit undock velocity please.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    How about instead of just raising the max speed, we allow the Rail Speed Controller to also increase speed (and thus increase mass enhancer requirements for that object)?

...also, inherit undock velocity please.

Firstly, all of the yass for undocking velocity please

Furthermore, i'd sooner see this be done on enhancers attached to the rail speed controller which increase the max ratio value (if that makes sense - currently max is 200% default rail speed), rather than a config value.

I only say this as sometimes you want things to move slowly, and it'd be a PITA to constantly add more non-activated activators to slow things down for various servers

Reactions: Winterhome