Handheld weapon modular building/customisation (Other decorative items) repost from old forum.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    There is a bit of a difference between ships and personal weapons. Thousand of blocks make first just a medium-sized (depending on one's take on it) ship, the second makes rather humongeous device, more of a infantry-sized mobile weapon platform than actual infantry firearm.
    Thousand blocks make a 100 mass ship. It's really nothing comparing to many ships in Starmade.
    And i think You missed this, but these blocks wouldn't be normal (1m x 1m x 1m) sized blocks, but much smaller ones :) So the weapons would have sizes of normal guns

If only this would be that easy. What I meant was an effect of character hitbox in case of the former as I'd assume weapon held would be part of the whole model's hitbox - otherwise people would make weapons acting as impenetrable shields. I didn't actually suggest weapon durability and in all honesty, I am not sure if such would be a good idea. The latter I addressed above - such items should be aforementioned personal weapons, not magical, spawning from cosmonaut's pocket artillery cannons.
    If someone wants to make 1 block gun (remember these blocks are much smaller then normal ones) then he would have a useless gun.

Then i haven't understood this part of Your suggestion, but i think weapons having their HP would be a pretty nice feature.

I am wiling to bet that lot of people would feel very much differently (I may go as far as to say I'd hope so). Ultimately though, it is a matter of sense of humour the same way one person may only laugh at witty, finesse remark wonderfully fitting the situation but someone else needs merely a sound of a fart to roll on the floor laughing. My bad, I shouldn't touch upon tastes, though I would rather have Starmade on the ambitious side more rather than less.

This is a valid point. However, I'd risk saying that there's certain difference in how a person shooting someone with a penis gun would look and how they'd actually would make themselves a laughing stock if they'd fly in a penis. My impression here may be skewed or simply not shared.
    I understand Your concern, it's not like i want to see penis-shaped guns everywhere. It just isn't IMO a reason to be against the idea of voxel based system :)
    Probably even with Your system of premade parts there would be a way to create phallus-shaped guns, there is always a way :)

Whether it's fun may be a matter of preference. Customization limited to stacking cubes into whatever shape one wants actually would be only for looks and that'd be even more disappointing than regular premade guns, IMHO.
    No, no, no, number of cubes in different systems would change the stats of the gun. Players could place a lot of single laser blocks (not connected to each other) and make something similar to shotgun with small damage of each projectile, but they could also place laser blocks in 3 rows, creating a machine-gun.
    By adding more aiming system blocks, their weapon would have less recoil or even maybe would be self-targeting (to some degree).

That means a lot of space for customization and two different guns could be completely different.

Also, in some way modular pre-made equipment components design actually would make it stand out more from games like Planet Explorers than voxel system, as both in suggested voxel models and in latest version of Planet Explorers I've checked out biggest part of gun creation is making the model and basing the performance on that.
    Basic parts of everything in Planet Explorers are pre-made parts, like barrel.

Voxel system in PE is mostly for the look of the weapon, to add some details, etc. It also determine the stats of the weapon, but i think it has less impact than pre-made parts.
    I may be wrong, because i haven't found new videos about creating custom weapons in PE.

My impression may be biased here, but I actually proposed this system first because it's very simple, merely the post describing it in detail is long. In practical setting it would basically mean 'craft several different parts and put them together = get piece of equipment suited for various tasks and needs', making the whole thing rather robust, yet relatively easy to implement and balance.

Your post isn't that long and it isn't hard to understand Your view, but Your very suggestion is pretty complicated. Not in terms of not being intuitive but more about needing many new systems or blocks.

I.e.
    Armor:
    - Jetpack (...) Different modules could allow different speed, use of energy, responsiveness/class of stabilisers (one module could stop the player nearly instantly after letting the key go, other would decelerate very slowly) or even change a bit of dynamic of flight (continuous, smooth flight which could use up the energy rather quickly vs jetpack creating periodically bursts of push in the direction the user specifies).

- Additional. Similar, with differences, to helmet's additional modules slot. Ability to mount lights, additional protection layers against certain types of damage, servomotors increasing speed of of running character.
    So for jetpack and for additional stuff for armor, we would need plenty of pre-made modules. And there are few more systems, so total number of modules would be pretty big.
    With voxel system all of the stats would be dependent on number of blocks of different systems used in specific body part/weapon.

I would like to see buffing HP of player by adding armor, or faster flying when more concentrated about thrusters in jetpack, but imo better way to do this is voxel based system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thousand blocks make a 100 mass ship. It's really nothing comparing to many ships in Starmade.
    Yes, my point exactly - thousands blocks for a ship is not that much, for a weapon - quite so. That's why I said that those two aren't exactly the same.

And i think You missed this, but these blocks wouldn't be normal (1m x 1m x 1m) sized blocks, but much smaller ones :) So the weapons would have sizes of normal guns
    Depends how small. In the mock ups in this thread, regular, sizeable machinegun has maybe a few dozen of blocks. By compariosn, thousands-big item would be the size of a house, even with blocks being as little as proposed. You'd have to make them lot smaller and then fit in a lot more for a weapon model which brings us to earlier mentioned worry about whether it wouldn't be pain for connections, the way now many server cannot handle any sizeable number of even thousands-block big ships.

Now, think about dozen of players in a single place on the server, each with such a gun, each in possibly way bigger ship. If multi-block constructions are really as tough on connections as many people commonly claim, that'd be a serious issue (if there's a dev willing to reassure me that multi-voxel guns wouldn't add to those issues though, I'd appreciate that).

Probably even with Your system of premade parts there would be a way to create phallus-shaped guns, there is always a way :)
    Actually, not that much. Premade parts models are, well, premade. Since you cannot stick them wherever you want as they're simply parts final gun's model is crafted from, they wouldn't be that much of a problem. I believe when it comes to looks of different parts alone - which would be nice but isn't necessary for proposed system and completely up to devs - Borderlands series offered something akin to what's suggested in my particular example here. I am yet to see randomly generated penis-shaped gun there that isn't made by modding the game, a thing that wouldn't fly in multiplayer here if the server wouldn't allow such a mod.

No, no, no, number of cubes in different systems would change the stats of the gun. Players could place a lot of single laser blocks (not connected to each other) and make something similar to shotgun with small damage of each projectile, but they could also place laser blocks in 3 rows, creating a machine-gun.
    By adding more aiming system blocks, their weapon would have less recoil or even maybe would be self-targeting (to some degree).

That means a lot of space for customization and two different guns could be completely different.
    This also brings us to actual problem the system I've suggested somewhat rectifies - if you are able to stick whatever cubes raising whatever weapon stats you want, the likelihood of people messing with the balance or exploiting the feature increases dramatically. When, however, you offer only a range of how much a certain stat can be affected by introducing just a group of modules, there's no such issue that cannot be repaired very easily and while some creativity may be limited, you still get a decent number of options, where each one of them is viable choice.
    In addition, actual free block combining would allow greater range of possibilities, initially - but since the size is the limit, in the end, sooner or later actually I suspect most people will run with clear-cut 'maximum efficiency' designs. Current block systems when it comes to ships actually proves it somewhat, what's with the people sharing designs of maximum-power, minimum-space generator block setups and so on.

Voxel system in PE is mostly for the look of the weapon, to add some details, etc. It also determine the stats of the weapon, but i think it has less impact than pre-made parts.
    I may be wrong, because i haven't found new videos about creating custom weapons in PE.[/QUOTE]
    From what I recall, premade PE gun parts were just regular ingredients in the recipe which couldn't be mixed and matched too much. Was it changed?

Your post isn't that long and it isn't hard to understand Your view, but Your very suggestion is pretty complicated. Not in terms of not being intuitive but more about needing many new systems or blocks.
    And here, I find it quite ironic. Actually, the proposed system is made with ease of implementation in mind and probably far easier than putting stuff together and then balancing it when it comes voxels, though it's just an assumption based on the fact that voxel creation of guns and then their use requires new systems, while what's proposed probably could work with slightly modified crafting system as it is, with each stat effect per a module being simply written as a certain inherent value of each module. Seems lot more easier to add (though it's, as stated, a guess, as I don't know how much effort devteam has to put in what) and easier to use than mucking around with arranging blocks if you'll ask me.

So for jetpack and for additional stuff for armor, we would need plenty of pre-made modules. And there are few more systems, so total number of modules would be pretty big.
    With voxel system all of the stats would be dependent on number of blocks of different systems used in specific body part/weapon.
    Yes, remember though that most of the modules use the same system and as far as code goes can be simply copy-pasted with their values changed. As in, you need code to support jetpack module and it's stats in general and that will support however many copy-pasted-and-modified jetpack modules you'd like to implement. If in voxels stats would be dependant on size, it'd only encourage people to build devices as big as possible, which aside from the aforementioned possible issues with balance, simply means that at certain point there's not as much of differentiation between as-effective but varied weapons and armors.

I would like to see buffing HP of player by adding armor, or faster flying when more concentrated about thrusters in jetpack, but imo better way to do this is voxel based system.
    Concentrated about thrusters? Here I confess I may have some issues with understanding what you meant. Clarify?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The intended point of this discussion was the general voxel vs pre modelled guns.

Firstly, while I appreciate the possibilities, I'm not interested in custom armour etc, just guns for this discussion.

The purpose of my original proposal way back when was to simplify things in general.

Not only are the systems already in place for this, being a voxel based game, but the assets exist already (Amc, rockets etc).

There really would be comparatively little set up in comparison to a modular system as described by visitor.

At most, it might be an idea to have a few gun types, which you would select in our theoretical work station prior to building. I.e. Rocket launcher, shotgun, pulse/amc/beam rifle, pistol, etc. (point of which would simply be to determine how Dave holds it, be it with two hands, one, on the shoulder etc.)

You could work balance Into this actually. If you chose rifle, you can use a set number of several types of weapon. If you choose rocket, you have set number of rockets. Less if they lock on, more if dumb fire etc.

The workshop could potentially even have the Dave preview while you build for help sake, though we're talking expansions here.

As for discussion of thousands of blocks, I'm not sure what limits should be placed on these voxel weapons, however I had something more like max 30 by 30 by 30 cube worth in mind.

Furthermore, the discussion of penis shaped guns etc... I mean, it'll happen but why shouldn't it? The entire idea behind this suggestion and it's expansions was to provide more room for expression and creativity, not just to provide utility and sense.

There is a large set of us who build for creation rather than actual utility. Additionally, power and balance isn't my prime concern. While it is eventually going to be important, there's no use worrying about that when choosing a system. As it is, people are more than able to build over powered ships anyway, so op guns isn't a big deal...

I'd rather see voxel guns in a variety of flavours than be limited to a number of set items as suggested by visitor too.

It's all about sandbox building at the end of the day, so it seems sensible to me to expand such a game with a weapon system that provides more of the same joy. I envision a sub forum dedicated to recreating all of our favourite sic fi guns. (Boba fetts blaster please.... Ok maybe more that 30 for that fidelity haha).

The secondary purpose for this idea originally was to point out that once you have the framework for voxel guns, you can apply it to many more items, and expand further with the creativity.

This is where the decorative items part came to mind. If you can build small voxel guns, why not mini ships too!

In fact, why stop there..... Who wouldn't love deployable mini drones ?

Anyway, as I said: voxel is best in my mind because of potentially how easy it will be to set using the blocks and weapon systems already used for ships. Everything can be used as decoration, while weapons can be used fully.

Also, new thought: multiple weapon CPUs = multiple fire modes.
    Rifle with under slung missiles.....

The possibilities of a voxel system are fairly limitless, as you can see with the number of additional ideas that keep arising.

It would probably take less effort to create this system than to add in an interchangable part mechanic. simply because you dont really need any new things to implement this other than a workstation block or something similar.

I also find it funny that say "mucking around with blocks" visitor. That is after all the main point of this game?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Edit to original post: Ive added a list of all suggestions that I feel fit, as well as a list of my ideas for each section.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd also like to see decorative blocks with logic systems, so making a computer or more complicated logics systems wouldn't require too much space. Additionally these computers would be easy to place in different places and to share with another players.

Maybe then it would be even possible to make calculators which would be only 1m x 1m x 1m. YEAH, FUTURE SPACE SCIENCE!

The only drawback with mini logic blocks i see is that it would consume a lot of CPU as players could place thousands of blocks containing hundreds of logic blocks. But i don't know how much CPU these logic blocks need, maybe even with great numbers like hundreds of thousands blocks it wouldn't lag the server or the operations are client made, not by servers, dunno.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Keep the opinions coming on this guys. The idea is important to me, as I really do like the creative side of the game!

Reaction score
    I like the idea of us all having individualized weapons, and some of or own decorations. However, I think that we really need the professional opinion to see if this would be possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea of us all having individualized weapons, and some of or own decorations. However, I think that we really need the professional opinion to see if this would be possible.
    Well thats partially the point. The first reply to this post was by one of the devs, who said he would watch the thread to determine what people wanted from a weapons system.

Its definitely possible in Java, its just a case of how resource intensive it would be, and ways of mitigating this.

It would theoretically be time saving to implement because of its reuse of pre existing items.

Its really more about what people want from the game and the resource side though I think.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I totally want this, even if it means the occasional penis that shoots white lasers all over people... I could finally build energy crossbows and stuff. :3

Reactions: Darth Plaigus
    Reaction score
    +1 for the custom item and weapon building. This would radically change the possibilities in creating close-up, first-person environments:

Fighter/Ship Cockpits: Flight sticks, yokes, switches, levers, raised buttons, glass HUDs, screens, etc.

Also, give lots of variety and character to those facilities all large ships must have (no more uniform bedrooms, etc.):

Command Bridge: Custom consoles, levers, screens, chairs, tactical display table (with tiny ships), "holographic" maps (arrange lights and other objects suspended in air to create a floating universe map)

Quarters: Beds, jukeboxes, fish tanks, picture frames, musical instruments, flowerpots, ... on and on

Basically, this takes a load of work off of kupu and other decorative block designers in that they no longer have to design blocks for every situation in every possible art style. Plus, maybe this will encourage people to focus on detailing ship interiors. Maybe instead of building bigger and bigger, I might finally settle on perfecting my customization of a small personal freighter that may or may not have made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs..

By the way, as far as weapons go... we're getting an awesome new weapons update! Am I the only one who'd be excited to tote a multishot, EMP mini-d1000 rocket launcher? No? a long-range, punch-through damage laser for cutting into thick hulls? No? C'mon, you gotta at least smile for the handheld high-damage, explosive damage pulse!

The system won't have to be rolled out in one piece. The devs could test a prototype voxel system with an initially-limited number of applications (start with decorative, non-functional small items). If this takes off, they could then work on implementing functional items like weapons.

Gonna state my allegiance here... pro-voxel-armor. I want my exoskeleton!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I used to really dislike this on the old forum, but my main problem was people talking about building melee weapons capable of slicing a fighter in half. I've decided to give this a second chance, though.
    I think that guns should be buildable in a 1x1x1 for pistols and 1x1x2 (one wide/tall, two long) for rifles/shotguns/rocket launchers/ect. They should be buildable with ship blocks, but shields and thrusters would not work on them for obvious reasons. They should have a mass cap (the player can only lift so heavy a weapon) to prevent people from just filling up the whole block with gun pieces. The gun needs appropriate computer and weapon parts and power to function. Things like power draining rifles or pulse shotguns should be cool and doable with this system.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    small personal freighter that may or may not have made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs..
    I know that that's a reference to something, but isn't a parsec a distance? :\
    (Sorry for off-topic)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    1cm blocks.

Mass of the weapon decreases player movement speed and shape of the weapon determines how maneuverable it is. You can swing a pistol or SMG around just fine, but try it with an anti-tank rifle and you'll have a bit of trouble controlling yourself if you try to spin around too fast.

If a player's turn speed and movement speed were changed by the size and shape of the weapon, we'd instantly solve the problem with min and max weapon sizes. A weapon that could realistically damage a ship would be so heavy that it'd require some kind of powered armor or a lot of patience to carry, for instance, while a small personal machinegun would be great for jetpack infantry.

Pre-made parts is a bad idea, IMO, because of the limits to creativity it'd pose. Being able to use individual blocks to design a weapon would mean you'd be able to build *ANYTHING* - be it a WWI era pistol or a massively futuristic alien tentacle that spits purple death globs. I dunno.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    1cm blocks.

Mass of the weapon decreases player movement speed and shape of the weapon determines how maneuverable it is. You can swing a pistol or SMG around just fine, but try it with an anti-tank rifle and you'll have a bit of trouble controlling yourself if you try to spin around too fast.

If a player's turn speed and movement speed were changed by the size and shape of the weapon, we'd instantly solve the problem with min and max weapon sizes. A weapon that could realistically damage a ship would be so heavy that it'd require some kind of powered armor or a lot of patience to carry, for instance, while a small personal machinegun would be great for jetpack infantry.

Pre-made parts is a bad idea, IMO, because of the limits to creativity it'd pose. Being able to use individual blocks to design a weapon would mean you'd be able to build *ANYTHING* - be it a WWI era pistol or a massively futuristic alien tentacle that spits purple death globs. I dunno.
    Just one point I'd like to make is that hull should have NO MASS on guns, so players don't feel the need to scrape their hull away for maximum speed.

I also think 5cm or 10cm blocks would be better.

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Perhaps if you add a camera, it can be the viewpoint while scoped in on your weapon.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What if camera blocks worked as scopes with x2 zoom for scopes?

Also, another idea. what if the game detected the lowest part of the gun above the topmost weapon block with a clear line of sight to the end of the gun, and focused the "iron sights" x1.2-4 zoom on that?