Handheld weapon modular building/customisation (Other decorative items) repost from old forum.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    I support a voxel system for making weapons, but I am also very open to a modular model system (one with pre-made parts to select, put together, skin, etc. Where server admins could potentially make their own models, and these designs could be put in community content for download so people could share designs.) There are pros and cons to each. Voxel system has the gains of almost unlimited creativity, but the art style is a different sort from the Dave model, so it may look strange to hold. The modular model system would likely look better, but have a soft creative limit - people who were able, could add infinite new models for downloading and skinning, and thus gain a great number of possibilities of mixing these parts as weapons, but not everyone may be able to make their own model designs.
    Two Curiosities/Questions:
    Firstly, Cube World's voxel system has been shown as an example in making weapons. I will say that I love this idea, however, if you notice, that system fits perfectly in their art style. Cube World's characters are made of these small voxels similarly to the weapons they hold. We know if this system goes through it will not be the case with Dave. Some may be bothered by this, and some not. Judging by the overwhelming support for this voxel building system for weapons, which leans towards greater creativity, I might assume that many wouldn't care? But I cannot say for sure.
    I know the intended purpose of this discussion, the OP said, was "general voxel vs pre modelled guns" but I feel armor in this case must be thought about as well. Secondly, I feel armor must be mentioned because say armor pieces enter into the equation in the future. Should these also be a voxel-based building system to match the weapons? If Dave were made of small voxels similar to Cube World, I would support it immediately, but because Dave is not, and as a skinner myself, I wish to have skinnable armor pieces that would match the skins, and blend in like the armor was made to be worn.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I suppose there is always a place for armour pieces, but I dont personally feel that armour is necessarily something that we need in the game at all.

If that time does come, I guess this system could be applied, however I see no problem in having voxel weapons without the need for a voxel dave.

I think the items would fit perfectly well.

The comparison made with cube world was intended purely to demonstrate the idea of an in game editor and voxel based modifications, and not necessarily the visual style.

The weapons would use the same textures as ships, so they would look like models that fit in the starmade universe.

These are all theoreticals though, as we would need the idea of voxel systems to win over other ideas before we talk about implementation and look/feel.

Thanks for the input though, its all worth thinking about :).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Correct. Han Solo was actually bull****ing his way into getting the piloting job.
    This is off topic, however:

While parsec is a measurement of distance, this particular line in star wars can be explained into making sense.

While it is entirely possible that this was a bluff, its also entirely possible that Han was referring to the Falcons ability to plot more advanced routes. While usually it would take people 18 parsecs of distance to travel the 'kessel run', the Falcon could plot it in 12, by taking a more dangerous route.

From the wiki: "In the commentary for Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope DVD, George Lucas mentions that the parsecs are due to the Millennium Falcon's advanced navigational computer rather than its engines, so the navicomputer would calculate much faster routes than other ships could."

Back on topic: I had already added a section suggesting cockpits used as scopes.

Its also possible that 'useless' blocks like shields, cloaking, thrust etc could be used for other systems, such as ammo capacity etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Wow, this would be amazing for my bounty hunting, grab a rifle, my trusty blaster, a rocket launcher attached to my custom made jetpack... maybe even a small survival knife!

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Youve stolen my persona! :p

Thanks for the support though, imposter boba fett.

(Im the REAL Boba Fett)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Youve stolen my persona! :p

Thanks for the support though, imposter boba fett.

(Im the REAL Boba Fett)
    Sorry BasicPaul, guess who has both the skin (custom made by myself) and the Slave I (custom made by myself, and perfectly to scale). That being said, you can be Boba Fett too :) that or... I could custom make you a Jango Fett skin and we could settle things that way :p

Last edited by a moderator:
    you could make so there is energy weapons that you can put power modules in the weapon so it recorers over time the ammo but they are weaker then ones that don't have unlimited ammo. Make so there is a weapon recharge block so you can recharge you weapons faster useing the ship or station power

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sorry BasicPaul, guess who has both the skin (custom made by myself) and the Slave I (custom made by myself, and perfectly to scale). That being said, you can be Boba Fett too :) that or... I could custom make you a Jango Fett skin and we could settle things that way :p
    Feel free to send over the boba fett skin. I've been looking for one!

Interesting thing about sm is that you can log in and then authenticate any name you like, so I've played as boba fett many a time.

Reaction score
    I love this idea. I really hope Schema could implement something like this.

Being able to make armor would be amazing aswell. you could make it so hull blocks add armor points to your character, while adding shield blocks would give you a personal shield. thusters would give you a jump boost/flying capablity, cloakers would give you active camouflage, and jammer blocks would conceal your position from radar. Power blocks would be required to power the other blocks. all blocks would have mass, and mass would effect how fast you move, how high you jump, and how quickly you can turn.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I love this idea. I really hope Schema could implement something like this.

Being able to make armor would be amazing aswell. you could make it so hull blocks add armor points to your character, while adding shield blocks would give you a personal shield. thusters would give you a jump boost/flying capablity, cloakers would give you active camouflage, and jammer blocks would conceal your position from radar. Power blocks would be required to power the other blocks. all blocks would have mass, and mass would effect how fast you move, how high you jump, and how quickly you can turn.
    It'd have to be well balanced to prevent people from just making their character into a fighter, though.

Reaction score
    It'd have to be well balanced to prevent people from just making their character into a fighter, though.
    of course. youd have to limit the total mass an armor piece can have. also, heavier mass would require more thruster blocks to achieve flight. Therefore, if you wanted to be able to fly around, youd have to sacrifice armor/shielding. Even then, you shouldnt be able to fly around faster than a ship.

The same concept would apply to cloaking. the higher mass of your armor, youd need more cloaking blocks, which would require more energy blocks. to cloak indefinitely, youd basically have to have zero armor/shielding.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    of course. youd have to limit the total mass an armor piece can have. also, heavier mass would require more thruster blocks to achieve flight. Therefore, if you wanted to be able to fly around, youd have to sacrifice armor/shielding. Even then, you shouldnt be able to fly around faster than a ship.

The same concept would apply to cloaking. the higher mass of your armor, youd need more cloaking blocks, which would require more energy blocks. to cloak indefinitely, youd basically have to have zero armor/shielding.
    A jetpack for moving around would be very welcome as well. Like a space suit designed for extended sessions in vacuum.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Worth thinking about, I guess. Certainly possible if this system were implemented, too.

I think id rather not have armour personally, but a thrust pack would be a cool visual addition. Though, it would also be necessary to fly in space, and therefore you would always have one... otherwise you couldnt move to actually GET one.

All issues that need thinking about, but another time. Weapons and decorations are what im wanting to see! :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I see I'm not alone on making a voxel based equip system, but now that we are in fact getting a new crafting system next update, I really think now is the time to discuss this as it can be tied in with that new system as well.

In addition to doing the constructing of the items through voxel editor, you have to also consider really hard about just what this system will need to be utilizing. as is the case with the many examples of the other games discussed before, they all have one large editor system that makes all the different things that the game needs. if that is what we expect to make happen here, I also would like to point out a few consequences of doing that. if we make the advanced build mode make other things, then it will mean all the items made with it will need to be streamlined to use the same tools. it also means the tools usually do it all, but do nothing specifically well.

there is also another option rarely used and often forgotten. and that is a system of separate editors that all do only one thing well, and this can get complicated, but it doesn't have the above problem of needing the same tools to do everything, just what it is doing at the specific time.

it has already been shown to work well with guns and weapons in other games. we started this with just making the weapons a voxel at a time, but, I think it can be much more than that.

will we be making clothing and armor with it as well, and if so, how will the armor and clothing be equipped? will it be piece mail consisting of the typical five part body suit? or are we going to simplify it down to less? if we do go the five piece route, I would hope each piece would be separate and modifiable on their own. i think building armor one voxel at a time would be fun too.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Worth thinking about, I guess. Certainly possible if this system were implemented, too.

I think id rather not have armour personally, but a thrust pack would be a cool visual addition. Though, it would also be necessary to fly in space, and therefore you would always have one... otherwise you couldnt move to actually GET one.

All issues that need thinking about, but another time. Weapons and decorations are what im wanting to see! :)
    Perhaps the spacesuit could have small inbuilt thrusters, and thrust packs would just make you go faster. (Or they'd compensate for the mass of extra armor, kind of like thrusters do for ships)

...And... becoming a fighter should totally be possible. It would just be pointlessly expensive, and would burn through fuel like crazy.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Perhaps the spacesuit could have small inbuilt thrusters, and thrust packs would just make you go faster. (Or they'd compensate for the mass of extra armor, kind of like thrusters do for ships)

...And... becoming a fighter should totally be possible. It would just be pointlessly expensive, and would burn through fuel like crazy.
    There is no fuel.

Why should the player be able to make themselves into a fighter with their jetpack, armor, and handheld weapon?

I don't think we should be able to build armor or jetpacks out of voxels, that's what custom skins are for. Guns, however, should be able to be built with tiny voxels, because it would allow people to build custom shaped weapons.

The only reason I would support custom voxel armor and jetpacks would be if there was a small internal suit battery (maybe 5000e) that would charge slowly (maybe 10e/s) to prevent people from abusing the system by building overpowered suits and jetpacks. I'd still rather see this kind of stuff done with skinnable armor suits and jetpacks instead of voxel built ones, though.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This thread is absolutely beautiful. I love the idea of the customization of weapons and spacesuits, this allows for whole new levels of gameplay - factions that sell small arms, exo skeletons, magnetic boots (So you could enter a ships gravity no matter the faction), jet packs... cloaking/radar jamming space suits... the possibilities are endless and beautiful. And with the creatures and NPCs on planets coming out, this'll be great.
    Another thing: Maybe small arms should do extra damage to shields, to make them useful? Or penetrate the shields at 90%? As of now you cant really do anything to an enemy ship unless it's shields are down. Of course, some of you would be afraid of people stealing your ship, but honestly, turrets would most likely insta kill a player attacking a ship. (Personally, I think anyone who can jack a ship with nothing but an assault rifle deserves the ship...)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is no fuel.

Why should the player be able to make themselves into a fighter with their jetpack, armor, and handheld weapon?

I don't think we should be able to build armor or jetpacks out of voxels, that's what custom skins are for. Guns, however, should be able to be built with tiny voxels, because it would allow people to build custom shaped weapons.

The only reason I would support custom voxel armor and jetpacks would be if there was a small internal suit battery (maybe 5000e) that would charge slowly (maybe 10e/s) to prevent people from abusing the system by building overpowered suits and jetpacks. I'd still rather see this kind of stuff done with skinnable armor suits and jetpacks instead of voxel built ones, though.
    There COULD be fuel cells for personal jetpacks, or at least for large ones which need more powerful engines, which is what I had attempted to imply.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'm very much for everyone having a basic jetpack from the get go with various equipment pieces enhancing it later. as well innate personal shields.

my vision is that everyone from the start has basic personal shielding (much like all ship cores now have basic shields and regen), as well as the ability to sprint in gravity and use a thruster pack when not. (i've suggested this before) both actions drain the energy meter for balancing reasons.

apart from equipment like helmets and weapons we also have a equip slot for extensions which will act like a accessory slot. this will be for various ability boosters like "Thruster Overdrive" which will increase the speed of your sprint/thrust but will deplete your energy reserves faster, "Auxiliary Battery" will increase your overall energy reserves, and 2 shield extensions "Shield Booster/Regenerator" will increase the shields capacity/regen rate respectively.

this by no means would make us into ships like Lecic said. but giving players more range of movement and control over how we maneuver the world can go along way

Reactions: Lecic