Planned Give planets more of a meaning

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Im a huge diehard starwars fan. Yes, starmade involves space and whatnot!
    But imagine, if planets were capable of ground combat, or starting from a planet. To clarify, i did an experiment. i made the ratio size of all planets on a world set to 2,500m, little did i know it made each face of the planet 2,500m. (game handled great) But little did i know, Gravity....... Hell my standard ships struggled to get off the ground.... So imagine, starting on a huge planet, which seems endless on end (planets are pretty friggin huge, look out your window) And imagine just building a garage, mining resources, fighting off creepy spiders and whatnot, or hopefully be visited by space pirates and steal their ship. You will have to build your way up. go to space and build from there. (True meaning of started from the bottom)
    With the implementation of Clans and fleets, planets should play more of a strategical role, like in starwars.
    And with that being said, if you stumble across a planet with a city (and tons of ai dudes running around) If you manage to gain their support (without force) they give you bonuses to your clan, and if you're an opposing clan, ground combat comes into play (drop those walkers on the planet!!!!) and your goal is to kill the planets leader (some blingy looking ai guy) Once he is killed (be ware those ai guys fight back) the city will automatically be neutralized, but you'll have to sacrifice one of your AI guys to take up leadership of that planet for you to claim it.

Civilized planet perks include: Resources, increased AI skill in proximity, boosted clan stats, and free NPC armies.

There will be a multitude of planets: (using starwars refrences) the planet types will be arranged from greatest yield to minimal yield.
    Coruscant (Entire planet is a city)
    Naboo (Large cities around the planet)
    Tattoine (Scattered cities)
    Yavin (scarce towns)

If you looked at my other suggestion:
    Super Command Structure (kinda like command and conqure)

And implemented, Coruscant and Naboo will have a unique ability, upon orders. To construct warships from your catalog and build fleets (Which means you can build ships and fleets across your claimed galaxy)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459403057,1459402957][/DOUBLEPOST]I will be posting screenshots of how the large planets look, to give a better idea.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459403887][/DOUBLEPOST]Dear god, what have i done!?!?!?!?

[DOUBLEPOST=1459403919][/DOUBLEPOST]

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    interesting, but it is too complicated, and It would take a looong time to get it done

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I have a feeling that with crew, quest, and fauna updates planned planets will be playing some larger roles then. Also, Schema apparently had/has some ideas for a new way to do planets (the shape/model I'm guessing?), though "no promises".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There is a planned astronaut overhaul and also a flora/fauna system and an NPC system. I don't remember reading anything specifically about starting planet side and working towards space, but planets are going to be made more interesting in the future.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I don't remember reading anything specifically about starting planet side and working towards space
    With all the work we put into the spawn station I'm not sure where this idea came from. It might be an option in the future but wouldn't be default.

We have indeed drafted up some super sweet plans for planets that make them have more of a meaning to gameplay. Obviously all depends on performance and optimization of the planet systems though which will have to happen at some point before we can really expand on planets.

Reaction score
    I think the main reasons planets aren't that important is current in-game economy. Its very easy to mine single-handly gather resources needed to make enormous ships. Building structures is to easy to appreciate the existing ones.
    There should be some penalty related to cargo or so for mining every kind of blocks - some of the blocks should be useless too.

Reaction score
    I think the main reasons planets aren't that important is current in-game economy. Its very easy to mine single-handly gather resources needed to make enormous ships. Building structures is to easy to appreciate the existing ones.
    There should be some penalty related to cargo or so for mining every kind of blocks - some of the blocks should be useless too.
    Personally, I think the main reason planets aren't important now is because there's no good way to have them exist in the proper scale as an object in block-space. Think about it: Our planet's atmosphere alone, at the default sector sizes, would be 14 sectors thick.

I think the only way you could make planets useful in this game is if they were a separate world map you were transitioned to after dropping out of orbit and into the atmosphere. Then they could remain distant, giant set pieces in space and vast procedural maps on the ground. Climbing out of the gravity well should be fairly difficult, after all, not something you accidentally do when you're trying to fly an airplane-sized vehicle around the planet.

Perhaps they could used a curved map display to allow you to sort of view the actual planet from space, eventually. This could also help prevent and/or isolate a lot of the server lag associated with gravity and planets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Personally, I think the main reason planets aren't important now is because there's no good way to have them exist in the proper scale as an object in block-space. Think about it: Our planet's atmosphere alone, at the default sector sizes, would be 14 sectors thick.

I think the only way you could make planets useful in this game is if they were a separate world map you were transitioned to after dropping out of orbit and into the atmosphere. Then they could remain distant, giant set pieces in space and vast procedural maps on the ground. Climbing out of the gravity well should be fairly difficult, after all, not something you accidentally do when you're trying to fly an airplane-sized vehicle around the planet.

Perhaps they could used a curved map display to allow you to sort of view the actual planet from space, eventually. This could also help prevent and/or isolate a lot of the server lag associated with gravity and planets.
    That's actually a really good idea... Using seperate instances.

Except lag?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    That's actually a really good idea... Using seperate instances.

Except lag?
    unfortunately this has already been proposed and has been rejected by schema. His plan for starmade has always been a persistent universe. having separate instances goes against that.

Reaction score
    The bigger problem is space-to-ground interaction.

How do you render a base on a planet for attack from space if it's a separate instance, and you have to teleport to it?

Also, world-eating via mining vessels becomes difficult.

Reaction score
    NPCs Who defend their Planets/System from beeing farmed would be nice. With Planetary Defence and own Fleets.
    One Inhabited Planet every 10-30 Systems , would be realistic i guess.