FTL is here! It's a StarGate!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is dev build access still files.star-made.org? I can get to the basic builds page, but I click on the dev archive and get a 404. Any ideas? I really wanna mess around with this.

Reaction score
    The dev build can be accessed here: http://files.star-made.org/build/dev/
    For those having the 404 error, I really have no clue as to what causes it. I have access to 2 laptops and both get the error but my main comp does not.

Did anyone actually read this thread? http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/
    Cal mentioned 3 types of FTL: warp gates, jump drives, and hyperdrives (which have yet to make any sort of appearance in the code). If you want to know more specifics for each, go read the thread

Just so everybody knows, here's the run-down on gates as of the Aug 25th build:

Range: unlimited (I assume due to an unimplemented cap), however in the thread I mentioned above it was stated it would be about 8 star systems (subject to change)
    Shape: ANY closed 2D loop, which could be concave and convex in different areas
    Linkage: it seems that stations link to stations (not computers to computers), so right clicking on any block with the marker beam (no texture, but you spawn with it) will set a target station and left clicking on a station sets the previously marked target as a destination for that station's gate. You'll have to do this twice to make a 2 way gate, but for simple tests you can actually set a gate as its own destination.
    Ship damage (from going through a gate system too small on the other side): not implemented as of yet, but mentioned in the thread
    Mechanics: when your CORE (player does not activate it) passes through a gate, you have a brief period before any acceleration starts, at which point you can stop or speed up, and any momentum you have when the boost hits will be kept when you come out the other side. Don't worry about colliding with anything when boosted as it appears you become non-physical or something of the sort

Because I find myself with a lack of people to test with, I have not tested if there is a hard cooldown or if it needs to recharge, and I have not tested any power mechanics (idk if they're even implemented), but there is definitely a cooldown

ANYTHING above is subject to change.

ps: inb4 working mass relay and giant replica of Stargate sg1 stargates

Last edited:
    Reactions: z1967 and Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Is dev build access still files.star-made.org? I can get to the basic builds page, but I click on the dev archive and get a 404. Any ideas? I really wanna mess around with this.
    Error 404. As far as I know it either means missing resource or missing authentification.(I have forgotten which exactly)
    Does your browser ask you to enter a username or password when accessing?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    sommeone post pictures of it! my net sucks and I cant watch youtube until friday :(

Reaction score
    I REALLY hope we will be able to build gates in a circular shape, otherwise this entire thing is ruined for me. :(

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    404 is it cant find the file. (403 is authentication)

I think the site is having issues ATM, i get 403'd on pages I think I should be able to access, and no password box appears. I have just asked lord high skooma about it :)

Reaction score
    Error 404. As far as I know it either means missing resource or missing authentification.(I have forgotten which exactly)
    Does your browser ask you to enter a username or password when accessing?
    404 means "Not found". It's a bug with the web server and it occurs when your URL doesn't have a slash at the end.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well, i imagined a warp drive where you can warp to sectors to join battles but this is fine too :D

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Just tested. It works on planets :D:D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    404 is it cant find the file. (403 is authentication)

I think the site is having issues ATM, i get 403'd on pages I think I should be able to access, and no password box appears. I have just asked lord high skooma about it :)
    I managed to get it, I tried clicking the link in this thread, and it worked.

Reaction score
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    "Cal mentioned 3 types of FTL: warp gates, jump drives, and hyperdrives"

Another good feature that will be introduced (From Calbiri in chat) When ships come out of warp or out of a stargate the ships shields will drop to zero and begin recharging to prevent people jumping into a battle with full shields, jumping out to regen shields, and jumping back in to the battle

Reactions: z1967
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Did anyone actually read this thread? http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/
    Cal mentioned 3 types of FTL: warp gates, jump drives, and hyperdrives (which have yet to make any sort of appearance in the code). If you want to know more specifics for each, go read the thread
    Yea i saw that, found it strange when i saw this thread, like, this isnt news... Allthough i guess it is the first time we're actually seeing it.

But all the same, very interested in this, one particular gate i want to build. Not mentioning names, i want to be the first to build it :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Noticed a video about this new development too, although on Twitch. ;-)

The name Stargate does remind me of a movie and spin off TV-series from some time ago. I wonder if and when this is released it would be possible to create a dial-up system like used there, maybe using logic blocks perhaps, that would open up a lot of interesting additional possibilities.

Greets,

Jan