FTL is here! It's a StarGate!

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/2elkjl/starmade_warp_gates_confirmed/

Here's some of the details I've learned so far:

How and What and Where: A sort of Stargate Module is placed on your station (sorry, not Gate ships). You expand the area with modules. This might mean no circular gates - which I heartily disapprove of. But it's FTL, so who the hell cares? afaik, you can faction gates just like any other activated module.

Who: Once your core passes through the field, you are taken through an animation and warped to the next gate. This means smaller ships have an advantage on warp gates - bigger ones are most likely going to be more rare.

Another How: There is also some linking system involved to actually *connect* two gates. In that respect, it works like a Mass Relay from ME - it's a trip to one specific other gate until someone manually changes it by traveling to a new gate and "marking" it. I think big signs on the sides of gates will start to be commonplace., or at least large color codes. Like Faction symbols. Or gigantic purple mushrooms.

Ohh TOM! A SHROOM GATE! We should totally do it.

More Details:

After speaking with Raiben for a bit this wonderful morning, apparently there will also be jump drives for larger ships. The power requirement for large gates will also be quite massive - so be ready to build some interesting systems on stations......

EVEN MORE DETAILS:

In the new Dev Build, 0.1633, Jump drives now WORK! WAHOO!
    The drive needs to be 1/10th of your total mass. If someone could test the power consumption....
    It's Really, REALLY high :) Dedicated jump ships, anyone?

Update:

14 Blocks causes approx. 95k power consumption. It also takes you 4 sectors (I went from 0 0 0 to 4 4 4 in one jump.....and then 8 8 8 in the next one.....and then I was roasted in the sun :D)

Maybe Cal can jump in here with more details? or anyone. I feel like i'm missing alot of pieces.

--Ender

Last edited:

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I made a video with the Maelstrom going to warp, I had to build two really really huge warp gates xD
    warp gates are just AWESOME :3

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So, it's more of a warp node instead of a gate? Cooooool, that's a lot more practical.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that schema plans to make their configuration round, or oval (whatever configuration you want).

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If non-squares are allowed, I'll build my gates X or V-shaped to make my gates not usable by builds from somebody else :D
    Else I will just cover it partially with hulls, or would that break it?

Will make nice gate-species.

First Classification System for WarpGates (AFAIK):

Sizes are minima, not maxima for that classification.
    1st number = minimum number of bits to represent minimum diameter.
    2nd or 3rd number = size ratio (larger / smaller), rounded down.

1st Alphanumeric = lower axis size (diameter)
    • binary = dezimal = Name _infix_ Gate = 1st char
    • Default 0 = broken (1st) or no derivation (2nd) from standard gates.
    1. broken | no derivation = Broken _ _ _ | _ Normed _
    2. 0x10 = 2 = Personal _ Gate = 2 or P
    3. 0x100 = 4 = Spy _ Gate = 3
    4. 0x1000 = 8 = Scout _ Gate = 4
    5. 0x1'0000 = 16 = Shuttle _ Gate = 5 or S
    6. 0x100'0000 = 64 = Margin _ Gate = 7
    7. 0x1000'0000 = 128 = Meridian _ Gate = 8 or M
    8. 0x1'0000'0000 = 256 = Medium _ Gate = 9
    9. 0x10'0000'0000 = 512 = Large _ Gate = A or L
    10. 0x100'0000'0000 = 1024 = Hyper _ Gate = B or H
    optional 2nd (with 3 numbers):
    • same as 1st, but without the first bit in the bit-representation (derivation from standard sizes)

2nd or 3rd Alphanumeric = larger axis size : lower axis size
    • ratio L:S = Name infix = 2nd char
    1. 1:1 = _ Tailored _ = 1 or T (DEFAULT)
    2. 3:2 or 4:3 = _ Uncommon _ = 2 or U
    3. 2:1 = _ Wide _ = 2 or W
    4. 3:1 = _ Extended _ = 3 or E
    5. >=4 :1 = _ Anarchy _ = 4 or A
    TO-DO:
    • E and A may be hard to tell apart from 1st and 2nd letters.
    • Need a few better names :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    If non-squares are allowed, I'll build my gates X or V-shaped to make my gates not usable by builds from somebody else :D
    Else I will just cover it partially with hulls, or would that break it?

Will make nice gate-species.
    Gates can have any closed shape, I hear.

Reactions: Cybertooth

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    you need two gate (aka station with a warp computer & warp modules) , you have a new handled tool named the marker beam
    wich basically store datas of a gate on right click and load datas on left click, you choose the destination of a gate by loading another gate's data into it. you need to do it twice or you won't be able to come back to the gate you came from

you can cover it , even make blocks go through the gate (but , well it's pretty useless xD)
    so you can have you circle shaped warp gate but only the hulls and/or others systems, not the warp gate itself :)

when I see a train in space , It makes me think of Space Mountains 2 *O*

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    jumpdrives computer and jump drives modules are already in the devbuild but arent' working atm
    I guess it will work like any weapon/module (a computer connected to a bunch of modules)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yay, FTL :)
    Damn, another computer bloating my inventory :(

What do you think about the gate-classification system like described in my last post?

I am thinking of recommending +10% size before assigning a gate-class to ships, thus a 54-2 ship fits through a 54-1 gate and a 43-2, but not a 43 gate.
    Letters are just for Hardcore RP players.

Last edited:

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I don't now if it will be in the hotbar ^^

IMO we don't need gate classification ,or just the same class as the biggest ship wich can go through it (titan class warp gate , etc)
    but even me, I won't use any classification ^^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd just like them on a ship. But i guess with the whole marking thing it would be hard cause the ship would be moving around and not in the same place all the time. But Warp ships would be sweet in a fleet and just imagine your under attack and everyone flies through our ship to jump out, A sweet view indeed.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    sorry but that sounds more like a space gang bang xD
    anyway we will have jumpdrive ^^

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What do you think about the gate-classification system like described in my last post?
    Class names would be for rp servers, because classes are so subjective. I imagine regular servers using a sign system, similar to what you see on real-life bridges, that describe the maximum size allowable. It will be neat to see people's different ideas on how to make the description signs. Regular display blocks are too tiny. Logic LED displays would be shiney. I want.

If there isn't a sign, and you aren't sure you'll fit, you'll probably simply bounce off when you impact the edge of the gate.

It would be a lot of fun to see such an impact with full impact damage and ship-splitting on. crunch!

Reaction score
    Holy shit! That is some awesomeness! I can't WAIT to out this in game!

Also, mushroom guys you have to get rid of that dubstep into please...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Usually I would agree that we don't need a gate classification, but it would be useful if you want to make a ship that exactly fits through gates on different servers, used by different factions...
    Without it, factions end up making all their different, complete chaos in gate-sized :p

S, M, L would be Standard for ships, P for StarGates on planets (BTW has somebody tried?)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Usually I would agree that we don't need a gate classification, but it would be useful if you want to make a ship that exactly fits through gates on different servers, used by different factions...
    Without it, factions end up making all their different, complete chaos in gate-sized :p

S, M, L would be Standard for ships, P for StarGates on planets (BTW has somebody tried?)
    don't forget PS (a whole sector can fit through)

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

I'm gonna try when I can get the dev build :D