• Legacy Citizen 9
    the water was just for the picture otherwise it's blocking ^^

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    ooooooh. Just you wait guys. If you know anything about my current projects, you'll be excited for what I have planned in terms of gates.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    easy to do , but i'm not really good with circle shapes x)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    sry for double post but HOLY SH*T JUMPDRIVES !!!!
    I had a Nerdgasm.

Schema & Schine team > chuck norris
    Holy jeezus. So did you get to change where you went or was it directional?

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    it's directionnal BUT if you set a waypoint wich is in range it will jump directly to it :eek:
    the level of awesomeness is TOO DAMN HIGH !

p.s: I would love a longer hyperspace travel animation and I think everyone do ^^

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    it's directionnal BUT if you set a waypoint wich is in range it will jump directly to it :eek:
    the level of awesomeness is TOO DAMN HIGH !

p.s: I would love a longer hyperspace travel animation and I think everyone do ^^
    There needs to be really good sound design to accompany this. Just take a listen to the engines in Elite: Dangerous. Those things sound crazy.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    oh yes we need good sound ! but it's the less important thing in Alpha ^^

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just take a microphone, blow air into it and make it an ogg jump sound.

or add some glitch to make it more spacier.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Update for Jump Drives! Need people to figure out the power consumption

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm totally spamming now. I've been testing with my warp ship.....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Update for Jump Drives! Need people to figure out the power consumption
    Don't have reactors on my gates jet. I used a 3-4 barrel power supply and jumped 20 times :D Still no power used.

Little issue: sometimes you fly after a jump directly into the destination gate and jump again.

You can place this stuff on asteroids, but won't work / can't be targeted

EDIT:
    You can add keys to your gates.

Make factioned doors in your gate and cover it with non-physical stuff (plants, area triggers, rod lights, ...)
    Make a part 3 layers thick and add a weird shaped crack there in the middle of it (2 width).
    Put area triggers in it.
    If the ship nose is too small, it won't trigger them all at once.
    If the ship nose is too big, it won't fit into the crack.
    After 0.5 or 1 seconds reset area trigger status.
    After 15..30 seconds reset door status.​

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    After testing the jump drive, I can add to what's been said that more modules takes less time to charge up, and there is a minimum and if you are below that you cannot use the system. Also the range is 7 sectors, the exact distance changes depending on sector size (default sector size lets you warp ~9k, 4000 sector size allows for ~30k)

Also, warp gate destinations are now specific to the computers that each loop is linked to, so that means that you have to link the target right to the computer, and it also means that you can have more than one loop and more than one destination per station, so you could have a warp hub.

Also, be careful with that jump drive, it will not stop you from teleporting into objects (so I don't suggest jumping directly to 2 2 2) :p

For those who can't watch videos (I believe Rimmer is having this issue), here's a screenshot of the new warp animation (sorry, I tried a gif but it was too slow to catch it):

[\spoiler]

If anyone is wondering, it appears the animation is a sky-box like effect, I made a large tower on my test ship with a camera on top and failed to see any change in perspective.

Also, Mered4, the power consumption (per second while charging) is listed under the structure tab, but I can't tell you the equations involved.

It appears that shield-nerfing and block destruction from jump drives and warp gates (respectively) have yet to be implemented as of the aug 27th build.

Last thing (hopefully): Does anyone else disagree about the .1 ratio required? Making 1/10 of your ship dedicated only to jump drive seems pretty heavy, especially when I left a decent space in my new cruiser for ftl, but I literally had to gut the thing (1/2 shields gone, 1/2 recharge gone, 1/3 weapons gone) to fit in the necessary jump drive modules. I won't complain about power usage (for the cruiser, it's 1.2*10^10 per second, drains the 3.5 mil storage in 3 seconds) but the min blocks required to use the system at all is really high (I'd probably like .05 ratio at most as the min, but ideally would want there to be a very very tiny min but that many blocks would take an insanely long time to charge, almost making it not worth jumping at all).

Last edited:
    Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    After testing the jump drive, I can add to what's been said that more modules takes less time to charge up, and there is a minimum and if you are below that you cannot use the system. Also the range is 7 sectors, the exact distance changes depending on sector size (default sector size lets you warp ~9k, 4000 sector size allows for ~30k)

Also, warp gate destinations are now specific to the computers that each loop is linked to, so that means that you have to link the target right to the computer, and it also means that you can have more than one loop and more than one destination per station, so you could have a warp hub.

Also, be careful with that jump drive, it will not stop you from teleporting into objects (so I don't suggest jumping directly to 2 2 2) :p

For those who can't watch videos (I believe Rimmer is having this issue), here's a screenshot of the new warp animation (sorry, I tried a gif but it was too slow to catch it):

[\spoiler]

If anyone is wondering, it appears the animation is a sky-box like effect, I made a large tower on my test ship with a camera on top and failed to see any change in perspective.

Also, Mered4, the power consumption (per second while charging) is listed under the structure tab, but I can't tell you the equations involved.

It appears that shield-nerfing and block destruction from jump drives and warp gates (respectively) have yet to be implemented as of the aug 27th build.

Last thing (hopefully): Does anyone else disagree about the .1 ratio required? Making 1/10 of your ship dedicated only to jump drive seems pretty heavy, especially when I left a decent space in my new cruiser for ftl, but I literally had to gut the thing (1/2 shields gone, 1/2 recharge gone, 1/3 weapons gone) to fit in the necessary jump drive modules. I won't complain about power usage (for the cruiser, it's 1.2*10^10 per second, drains the 3.5 mil storage in 3 seconds) but the min blocks required to use the system at all is really high (I'd probably like .05 ratio at most as the min, but ideally would want there to be a very very tiny min but it takes an insanely long time to charge, almost making it not worth jumping at all).
    First... WOOOOO GATE HUBS!!!!

Second, I tend to agree that 10% feels high, but I suppose its the price you pay huh? I am not horribly against it..

Third, I am insanely curious about how much power these gate hubs are going to need...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Does anyone else disagree about the .1 ratio required? Making 1/10 of your ship dedicated only to jump drive seems pretty heavy
    Honestly? No. I haven't tried it myself, but I am sick of every ship I run into pulling the same thing. Trying to get a maximum out of their ship in every module possible instead of making that ship serve specific roles. I would say higher than 5%, less than 10%