Forum Suggestions: On Council Conduct

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Recently a colleague of mine recently posted a ship to the dock, and in the comments section of the release video, a certain council member (no names yet) got really mad at him for calling his dock a USD variant. His concern is justified, however, he then proceeded to bash the ship and have his friends bash it, because he objected to that tiny detail. I wrote a long comment about his duty as a council member, about being a friend of the community, rather than an ass. I think that, if such a system doesn't already exist, there should be a way for the community to have a council member voted off the council, so long as a legitimate concern about their conduct can be found, along with proof of said misconduct. For the time being, the aforementioned council member's conduct wasn't enough to warrant such a system. But in the event of such impropriety, a system like this should exist. Even if you don't agree with me, please take this into consideration. Thanks for reading my spiel.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lukwan and ephla442

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If you claim your ship has USD and it doesn't, that's false advertisement.

If players could vote for council members to get booted off, there would probably be a constantly running set of "should we boot X from the council?" things to vote on. The council can kick it's own members off if they feel that member isn't contributing (and there's precedent for this), and besides, if a councilor is a dick, they probably won't get re-elected when the next election comes around. The elections are currently on hold until the new launcher is up, though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you claim your ship has USD and it doesn't, that's false advertisement.

If players could vote for council members to get booted off, there would probably be a constantly running set of "should we boot X from the council?" things to vote on. The council can kick it's own members off if they feel that member isn't contributing (and there's precedent for this), and besides, if a councilor is a dick, they probably won't get re-elected when the next election comes around. The elections are currently on hold until the new launcher is up, though.
    I didn't want to get into the minutia of the situation, and my colleague didn't falsely advertise whether his ship had a USD or not. He said it had a USD varient. As for how that would be handled, it should be a report system, the way you'd report inappropriate content or inappropriate conduct by members of the forums. If someone has been reported, then it should be like a thread with a poll, kind of like, here's what happened, and if you think this is inappropriate, then click here to vote this person off the council.

Reactions: ephla442

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Well is it in-fact USD compatible?

What ship is this?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    And how do you get the entire community involved? Do you put down-putting "Vote Here If You Want This Person Removed!" signs on the launcher?

The council can vote people off if they're being unhelpful dicks, and Schine can remove a councilor if it feels the need to. If you don't like a person, convince people to not vote for that person in the next election, and, if people agree, they won't get elected.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    And how do you get the entire community involved? Do you put down-putting "Vote Here If You Want This Person Removed!" signs on the launcher?

The council can vote people off if they're being unhelpful dicks, and Schine can remove a councilor if it feels the need to. If you don't like a person, convince people to not vote for that person in the next election, and, if people agree, they won't get elected.
    This thread can serve that last purpose though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How do any of the threads on the forums get viewed? If it gets posted, and it's pinned, then the community will get involved. If it's important to a member the community to contribute to the community then they will. I'd hope that it'd important to the members of the community to stop injustice in the community.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • Video Genius
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I have to say my opinion, as the flaming happened on my video that I made for first time uploader Borst. Forget the USD variant, or selling point comments, let's address the fact that what occured by a member of the Starmade council was Cyber bullying! That should be at the forefront of this discussion.

The fact that the member may not aware that he was bullying makes this matter even more important!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    How do any of the threads on the forums get viewed? If it gets posted, and it's pinned, then the community will get involved. If it's important to a member the community to contribute to the community then they will. I'd hope that it'd important to the members of the community to stop injustice in the community.
    No, see, you've misunderstood- the new launcher will have council voting integrated. A lot of the community never uses the forums, so this is being done to reach out to them and make sure they get represented. If you want everyone to also be able to vote on who gets removed from the council, you'll need to have that on the launcher as well.

There is no need for the playerbase to vote people out- the council and schine can take care of it in the event there's a crappy council member (again, this has already happened before), or, in the event they don't find it a justified reason to boot the councilor, convince people to not vote for them in the next election.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well is it in-fact USD compatible?

What ship is this?
    I'm just saying that there needs to be a system for the aforementioned eventuality. As to whether the USD variant is compatible with a regular USD is irrelevant. The point is something really small was blown out of proportion a member of the council. As ephla442 said
    what occured by a member of the Starmade council was Cyber bullying!
    That is my concern.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Recently a colleague of mine recently posted a ship to the dock, and in the comments section of the release video, a certain council member (no names yet) got really mad at him for calling his dock a USD variant. His concern is justified, however, he then proceeded to bash the ship and have his friends bash it, because he objected to that tiny detail. I wrote a long comment about his duty as a council member, about being a friend of the community, rather than an ass. I think that, if such a system doesn't already exist, there should be a way for the community to have a council member voted off the council, so long as a legitimate concern about their conduct can be found, along with proof of said misconduct. For the time being, the aforementioned council member's conduct wasn't enough to warrant such a system. But in the event of such impropriety, a system like this should exist. Even if you don't agree with me, please take this into consideration. Thanks for reading my spiel.
    I'm purely going to address the suggestion mentioned in the OP...

Such a system does indeed exist, as has been mentioned previously, council members can vote to impeach another member. If a council member has broken the Council Code of Conduct, the councilors will decide whether a vote should begin. You can read more about the process and about the code of conduct here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/council-code-of-conduct.6566/

I suggest you start a conversation with a Schine member and/or other members of the council. Criss is the Schine lead for the council, you can see all Schine staff here: http://starmadedock.net/staff/ (the ones with the orange usernames). You can see all members of the council here: http://starmadedock.net/council/

To prevent heated conversation, please move the complaint about the councilor to PM. Thanks :)

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There is no need for the playerbase to vote people out- the council and schine can take care of it in the event there's a crappy council member (again, this has already happened before), or, in the event they don't find it a justified reason to boot the councilor, convince people to not vote for them in the next election.
    And if the bullying occurs on some obscure forum that the devs don't know about/don't check regularly? How does someone let the devs know? Even if there isn't a impeachment system, there should be a way that tells the devs: "This person has abused his position or done something that isn't proper". Like the bullying. I don't know the complete story of Tomino_sama's removal from the council position, or for how long his impropriety had been going on before his removal, but I get the feeling that if a system like this implemented, a person's removal from office would be quicker, with less drama, and would seem less like the rest of the council/the devs bullying a member of the council, and more like a justified removal of a member of the council who had acted inappropriately. The council member might not like it, but I think there'd be a lot less of a chance of another Tom incident.

Reaction score
    I think you guys are taking his disagreement on whether or not your ship had USD a little too.. extremely? The only thing I see him saying is 'this isn't x because y'. I don't see him making any personal attacks or anything of the sort. If people are going to try and kick folks off of the council over something as petty as that(and you know they will), I rather leave it to the other council members

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    And if the bullying occurs on some obscure forum that the devs don't know about/don't check regularly? How does someone let the devs know? Even if there isn't a impeachment system, there should be a way that tells the devs: "This person has abused his position or done something that isn't proper"
    The best way is to contact the Schine council lead, Criss.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think you guys are taking his disagreement on whether or not your ship had USD a little too.. extremely? The only thing I see him saying is 'this isn't x because y'. I don't see him making any personal attacks or anything of the sort. If people are going to try and kick folks off of the council over something as petty as that(and you know they will), I rather leave it to the other council members
    Can you send me a link to this? I was unable to find it myself.

Reaction score
    I have to say my opinion, as the flaming happened on my video that I made for first time uploader Borst. Forget the USD variant, or selling point comments, let's address the fact that what occured by a member of the Starmade council was Cyber bullying! That should be at the forefront of this discussion.

The fact that the member may not aware that he was bullying makes this matter even more important!
    Would it have been if the person in question hadn't posted with his recognizable account?

I have no connection to the council, the ship's architect (nice ship btw), or the video maker (nice video btw), but I fail to see any "bullying" in the comments thread. The concerns voiced are valid in my opinion, and the way I read it, were voiced in a civil manner, and not claiming positions of authority. If anything, the way some of the posts of the council members were interpreted feels like somebody tries to make an issue out of nothing.

And other than the shape of the hallway, which is irrelevant to USD, the docking port simply is not a USD.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I think that, if such a system doesn't already exist, there should be a way for the community to have a council member voted off the council
    If someone has been reported, then it should be like a thread with a poll, kind of like, here's what happened, and if you think this is inappropriate, then click here to vote this person off the council.
    And a new thread would pop up every week for the sake of upsetting people and disrupting the system. There is a system in place.

let's address the fact that what occured by a member of the Starmade council was Cyber bullying

I will quote what has been stated elsewhere.

Sven (Gothic Farms) Was simply trying to alert ToasterBorst and Ben to the fact that a number of community members have accepted a specific docking design. This concept was so favored that it eventually made it's way to Schine's attention and is now a part of the new starter station that will be present in the default game. There are plans to incorporate the dock into future stations.

Surely, ToasterBorst, being new, may not have been aware of this and that is nobodies fault. Sven was simply trying to alert him. ToasterBorst is of course free to call it whatever he wants as it is his ship. If he wants to agree with a standard dock or not that is his own decision.

I think if we can understand this then perhaps we can all calm down a little.

If you have further issues with any of this then a PM is where to take this. Otherwise I suggest we all continue doing as we do and build whatever we want in this great game.

Reactions: Lecic

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Pointing out that somebody is wrong about something or is lying about something is not "cyber bullying" no matter how you try to frame it. To claim that it is, falsely, is clearly an attempt at stirring up drama to garner views. Of course, trying to stir up drama has the unfortunate side effect of drawing in real attacks from less civil community members.

If you had a genuine problem, the proper method of dealing with it would have been to submit a private message to a moderator or staff member. If it were sent to the wrong staff member, I'm sure that they would happily forward it to the right person.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • Video Genius
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I, myself found that the manner of "outing" Borst with his redesign of the USD to be in poor taste, and rather than continuing the critique through PM to Borst (whos account is linked in the video description) the "flaming" continued in the video comment box. The fact that other Starmade users felt compelled enough to defend Borst, makes me observe the incident as an act Cyber Bullying.

Just because one perceives it as harmless, doesn't make it so. The same goes for the alternative I know, but it seemed, from my point of view, two peoples voiced views gained multiple negative feedback from multiple members, and no matter which way you read it, you have to see that something must of been said in a less than adequate manner to have this knock on effect.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445051916,1445051672][/DOUBLEPOST]I fail to see what makes my reply funny Lecic! Unless you rated it that by mistake!

Status
    Not open for further replies.