Forum Suggestions: On Council Conduct

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Recently a colleague of mine recently posted a ship to the dock, and in the comments section of the release video, a certain council member (no names yet) got really mad at him for calling his dock a USD variant. His concern is justified, however, he then proceeded to bash the ship and have his friends bash it, because he objected to that tiny detail. I wrote a long comment about his duty as a council member, about being a friend of the community, rather than an ass. I think that, if such a system doesn't already exist, there should be a way for the community to have a council member voted off the council, so long as a legitimate concern about their conduct can be found, along with proof of said misconduct. For the time being, the aforementioned council member's conduct wasn't enough to warrant such a system. But in the event of such impropriety, a system like this should exist. Even if you don't agree with me, please take this into consideration. Thanks for reading my spiel.

I get your point it isn't false to claim you have a USD variant. If you just look at 3x3 docking ports there not including corner positions 2^12 positions the could place the rail and docker there are 4 orientations each could have thus the total number would be (2^12)^4 variants for just the 3x3 docker all of which can work. You can implement which everyone you like on your own server or ships. After all this game isn't about telling people how to build stuff. The day it becomes that I'll say good by.

Last I checked no one in this game or company owns the patent on USD. As for the one in RL NASA Space docking system also known as the international low impact docking system and other names you can guess who owns it. It has also been changed and updated over the years.

Besides that USDs aren't going to work for a huge number of ships.

I should also point out I see no reason for an argument over what is and isn't an USD. There are good reasons people may choose not to use that one specific design even if Suggested by the game manufacture. Not accepting it can provide added security. Considering the number of variations there isn't really a right or wrong way it is what works best for you. In truth what works for the greatest number of ships not just the number of ships with a so called USD attached would be the real real USD. Maybe I'll just call mine a USDS (universal space docking system) one of the proper names for the actual docking system.

The elections are currently on hold until the new launcher is up, though.
    Votes should never be held off just because they are waiting for some part of an update. There is always going to be something coming out. It is a poor excuse to stall a democratic process.

It is also telling of what you think of the rest of the community members when you think there would be rampant calls to remove someone.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Votes should never be held off just because they are waiting for some part of an update. There is always going to be something coming out. It is a poor excuse to stall a democratic process.
    The new voting process is going to be integrated into the launcher so more people are aware of and vote in the election. Do you not want the people who don't use the forums to be able to vote?

It is also telling of what you think of the rest of the community members when you think there would be rampant calls to remove someone.
    Well, if this thread is anything to go by...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The new voting process is going to be integrated into the launcher so more people are aware of and vote in the election. Do you not want the people who don't use the forums to be able to vote?

Well, if this thread is anything to go by...
    I have no issue with the voting system being included in the launcher. Just saying the voting process shouldn't be put on hold to wait for something. Right now the launcher from what I see has a browser based system built into it so there is no reason it couldn't already be done via the launcher since you can already distribute news that way.

I'm sure their are some but as the OP said he didn't consider that incident and necessarily a reason he was using it only as an example and that worst stuff could happen. I haven't read every post attached to this though so not sure what everyone else said.

Besides that can be solved with a simple list of requirements for impeachment like we do in real life. We have a set of rules governing what is and isn't impeachable offenses.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Besides that can be solved with a simple list of requirements for impeachment like we do in real life. We have a set of rules governing what is and isn't impeachable offenses.
    You know how the US people can't call for an impeachment, their representatives need to? Yeah, the same applies here.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's because the next voting process will be done via the launcher, so it's not like we have much choice.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    That's because the next voting process will be done via the launcher, so it's not like we have much choice.
    Correct me if I am wrong but having looked through my directories and at the current launcher it supports HTML so it isn't like voting can't be done through the launcher now. It would essentially take setting up a page the launcher can use and directing the form to a php page or whatever you are using on your server.

Which means it was technically just a choice to wait till the next launcher came out. Even if this one didn't support HTML it would be a choice.
    For that matter steam also has an built in HTML browser which could also access any page you put to it.

In short someone made a choice because there was and always have been options. Simply someone made this one so why act as if their wasn't an option. Wouldn't it just be more honest for someone to come out and say we could have done it a number of ways but we made this decision rather than act like there wasn't options so people like me who have a brain in their head or simply know the options don't end up thinking negatively about it.

What would you think if I sat their and told you as a game developer I had no choice or little choice yet you knew differently?

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Correct me if I am wrong but having looked through my directories and at the current launcher it supports HTML so it isn't like voting can't be done through the launcher now. It would essentially take setting up a page the launcher can use and directing the form to a php page or whatever you are using on your server.

Which means it was technically just a choice to wait till the next launcher came out. Even if this one didn't support HTML it would be a choice.
    For that matter steam also has an built in HTML browser which could also access any page you put to it.

In short someone made a choice because there was and always have been options. Simply someone made this one so why act as if their wasn't an option. Wouldn't it just be more honest for someone to come out and say we could have done it a number of ways but we made this decision rather than act like there wasn't options so people like me who have a brain in their head or simply know the options don't end up thinking negatively about it.

What would you think if I sat their and told you as a game developer I had no choice or little choice yet you knew differently?
    Why is it so damn important to you to have a new election right here and now?
    Besides there is probably a reason why Schine is waiting with a new election ofcouncilors

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Why is it so damn important to you to have a new election right here and now?
    Besides there is probably a reason why Schine is waiting with a new election ofcouncilors
    You are missing the point it was about the statement rather than the election itself. Or is that so damn hard to figure out?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Council terms are meant to be 6 months. Voting closed on the 25th of April (and I believe the current councilors were announced on the 26th), which means the current term isn't even done yet.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You are missing the point it was about the statement rather than the election itself. Or is that so damn hard to figure out?
    This all just turned out to look like:" uhhh I dont like this council dude, lets make new elections ASAP"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This all just turned out to look like:" uhhh I dont like this council dude, lets make new elections ASAP"
    Did you bother reading what I wrote to Keptick? Guessing not or maybe English is a second language to you.

Guess I will have to spell it out.
    The excuse is they had to wait for a new launcher to include everyone.

My point is that isn't the case. They had other option that can include everyone now. I was trying to be nice and not come out and say the requirement for a new launcher is nothing more than a lie. It may not have been intended as a lie. I didn't want it to come off that way. They may not have considered or realized the other options.

But I guess I need to act like a blatant ass and forget being nice so people don't get my intentions misconstrued.

Personally I have no issue with the current counsel I think they done just fine from what I can see. They done work they aren't getting paid for from what I know.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Personally I have no issue with the current counsel I think they done just fine from what I can see. They done work they aren't getting paid for from what I know.
    *In agreement*

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Let's keep things civil here. I'll have my eyes on the thread to make sure that the discussion doesn't get out of hand.
    It won't be getting worse on my part. I simply won't be responding to any more of it.
    That was in response to Nauvran's comment, "Why is it so damn important to you to have a new election right here and now?"
    It was the hostile tone he took which I responded in kind to.

In short no need to threat rest easy.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    So the council did discuss this and for the sake of discussion I'm just going to make it clear that nobody is being impeached because of this.

We reviewed the "evidence" and we seriously didn't see anything that warranted a removal.

As far as I can tell this is a case of bruised egos. I cannot reconcile removing someone from the council over something so ultimately petty due to the precedent it would set. Future councillors would be forced to walk a tightrope in terms of dealing with their constituents, since even the slightest offense against someone's emotions, intentional or not, could justify a removal. I'm not one to police what someone says at all, and telling a councillor that they can't engage in a rational discourse (which is exactly what I and the pther councillors saw in the conments) is absurd. In the future, if you want this to be addressed impartially and confidentially please contact Schine PR first, BEFORE you make a thread that brings the dirty laundry into the open for everyone to see. That way we can avoid drama and speculation like this.

Reactions: Keptick and Lecic

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Just to clear some things up, Megacrafters post above is correct. Councilors were only supposed to be here for 3 months. The first three months flew by and we saw little happen. Not because of a lack of trying, it was organized poorly. We expect councilors may be around for up to 6 months in future elections.

We are waiting for the new launcher because it will be cleaner. The current one isn't exactly pretty and it would be a simpler experience with the new launcher which will have different tabs dedicated to the council, news etc.

I have seen the launcher and it is the future. It looks cool as frick.

Reactions: GRHayes and Lecic

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

By "we" I was referring to the council. The council has absolutely no say about the next elections, that's all decided by the devs.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    By "we" I was referring to the council. The council has absolutely no say about the next elections, that's all decided by the devs.
    Keptic didn't mean I tried to avoid it sound like I was pointing a finger at you or anyone specific. Which is why I said, "Someone made the choice"
    If the devs or the council made the choice really wasn't my issue. I wasn't interested in pointing a finger at anyone.

My issue was the excuse that the new launcher was needed to provide the ability for everyone to vote.
    Why not just say the dev team made a decision based on council really didn't get to do anything the first 3 months. Or simply say the dev team made the choice to put it off. Treat people like adults and they can handle the truth.

Status
    Not open for further replies.