[Discussion] Tired of hearing "soon"? Thoughts on the Q&A

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Well. if this fortress you are describing decide to just fly away with the same agility as any other ship in 149 km/h. well hallelujha.

there is nothing in the game for the PvPers.. not even a bounty system.. sure u can have one on another page.. But then it requires everyone to go on it. etc, People are lazy.

You do realize that a randomized quest system and a faction homebase assault system are *also* planned, right?

Your argument seems to roughly boil down to "I don't like playing alphas". This isn't the full community of the game. This is the alpha community. The full community will hit after it's released on Steam and we beg Youtubers to review it again. If the alpha community falls apart, so be it - schema is still going to continue his code. Really, the only thing that works well in this scenario is offering *constructive* criticism that gives him an idea of what can be better.

Some of y'all are assuming that this is all the community that'll ever exist for the game, while ignoring the fact that other extremely popular games with open dev cycles had a minimal population until a later massive population explosion.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    You want changes to the combat system and complain about a weapons update?
    ^ this +1

there is nothing in the game for the PvPers.. not even a bounty system.. sure u can have one on another page.. But then it requires everyone to go on it. etc, People are lazy.
    ?

On Our Server we have an established system for:

• Null Sec space (-x -y -z)
    • Claim sovereignty in Null
    • Bounties can be set and claimed on Kill in Null Sec
    • Capital Ship Fights (Battle Royale / Fleet Bros)
    • Squad Based Battles (Ship/Planet/Boat/Mech/Astronaut) (Arena/Planet/Freespace)
    • You / Fleet vs Swarm events (various ships 10/50/100/200/400/800/1600)
    • Capture the Flag (astronaut/ship)
    • Death Race (planet/freespace)
    • Smuggling of banned commodities
    • Police Patrol (catch teh smugglers)
    • Trading of banned commodities
    • Off-site/out-of-game order of banned commodities
    • Farming Subsidies for Legal Alternatives
    • Fighter Testing / tournaments
    • King of Iron Ship Tournament (Championship Capital Fights)
    • Faction Wars (weighed in Sectors, export vs export, no upload, no shops.)
    • Import factions homebases for assaults - this way they can be defeated without losing the base ;D
    • Established RP factions, with tasty Meta (player run and separate from Admin structure)

This game has all the PVP. You need to organise it :D come and join us for a few days and see what we get up to sometime :D
    ^ all of the above covered by over 30 channels on youtube and over 6 on Twitch.tv

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    ^ this +1

This game has all the PVP. You need to organise it :D come and join us for a few days and see what we get up to sometime :D
    ^ all of the above covered by over 30 channels on youtube and over 6 on Twitch.tv
    Well played Tomino!

It's a sandbox game - you only run out of things to do in it when you run out creativity :) It has a ways to go, but that's to be expected. It only gets better from here, but there's already more than enough to keep anyone with an imagination occupied... single or multiplayer.

.. can't wait for the coming logic system..

Reaction score
    Yes i do. Because why do We need new weapons when We cant use them properly. It will just really be useless to have them when Pvp is as it is.

What use is a siege laser beam when there is nothing to siege ;)
    The new weapons will do loads for pvp immediately. Just look at the big to small ship combat. Capital ships will naturally use the pulse based and slower cannons to attack other capital ships because they will have huge dps and accuracy doesn’t matter with ships that slow and big. These weapons will be useless against small fighters though, meaning that EMPs, turrets, and defence fighters will be necessary for every capital ship. Fighters specializing in dogfighting will most likely use the beams or the auto cannons as accuracy is more important than dps with other ships. Fighters meant to take on capital ships will probably use a laser missile combo, or the snipers to take out turrets.

All we need is the shield and thruster balances and we will almost have a complete and diverse combat system.

Also boarding....... but I think he has added a beam that locks your ship and your targets in the dev build, but you would need to stay in the cockpit to keep it up, maybe if you used the logic system......... I have experiments to perform.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I thought this thread died, but here we go

Zeveryn is a server admin. He sees all sides of a servers operations. This includes the sheer man power to keep a busy server online and operating. When he says a proper PVP, he means things like solving the lag and bugs that make it difficult for the faction fleets to fight, rather than a new weapons system, that is just going to bring EVEN MORE BUGS. I understand that this game is alpha, and bugs are to be expected, i really do, but for the sheer amount of feature ideas(including weapons systems) people have to be shelved because of the fact that the game is alpha and isn't ready for that, to come with an entire new weapons system, virtually say f*** you to everyone who has suggested a different system that the community supports is really annoying. We support the decision to fix the core, then you go and do this. it is annoying.

This game is bugged. the average player base doesn't actually see most of them, because they are on servers, servers that guys like Zev and I spend silly amounts of time running, dealing with idiots, and dealing with hell just so a server will stay up for a few minutes. Admins rarely have a voice on these forums, because it is dominated by factions, flame wars and new people. I do not have an issue with this. the issue is that every time we come out of the dark room from which we help support the game 24/7 to voice our opinion, an opinion we surely have the right to have, we get shot down for moaning.

Also, to Tomino, having a game that relies on the servers to organise the PVP like that just won't work. Their should be a system built in, how are the smaller servers who are not as well experienced supposed to do this? those who don't have the experience to set up a PVP system using external tools? That point is virtually invalid because they are not in the game, they are external tools that allow for this to be set up.

This is not a rant at anyone in particular, just letting out my feelings, and helping to explain why the people who are in this post criticising the way things are done are here.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As with therimmer96 I feel as though many people do not know what goes into running a starmade server. I recently had to upgrade the hardware I was hosting on due to problems caused in the latest builds. The server I use is on par with servers used to host some of the biggest gaming infrastructures in the world. I have seen 8-10GB of ram used when only 4 people have been playing. I have seen all of the cores of my server driven to 100% for hours due to the "sector conversion" thing that was introduced some time ago. The game needs work, and the features aren't as lacking as the functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: therimmer96
    Reaction score
    Well, isn't there going to be a patch to help with the ship lag problems? I thought were was something like that coming with the patch bringing the weapons release.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    While I'm sure that it takes impressive hardware to run a server, I don't think it takes *that* impressive of hardware - there's probably a memory leak hiding somewhere.

The weapons update isn't just "lol features" - it's a framework that other stuff can be built on top of, with some features tacked on to keep the audience from going berserk.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    While I'm sure that it takes impressive hardware to run a server, I don't think it takes *that* impressive of hardware - there's probably a memory leak hiding somewhere.

The weapons update isn't just "lol features" - it's a framework that other stuff can be built on top of, with some features tacked on to keep the audience from going berserk.
    You would be supprised. Look at servers like Illusive, NASS and gravy's Elwyn. They all run on some excellent hardware with the administration teams maintaining it around the clock, just to keep a game server going, and they barly manage. Also, yes, there is a memory leak, this is one of the things we want fixed. Some servers suffer more than others with it, Elwyn has to reboot every 3 hours to handle it, otherwise it just grinds to a hault. What is the point of building a framework for new features, when the framework below is so wobbly?

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Well played Tomino!

It's a sandbox game - you only run out of things to do in it when you run out creativity :) It has a ways to go, but that's to be expected. It only gets better from here, but there's already more than enough to keep anyone with an imagination occupied... single or multiplayer.

.. can't wait for the coming logic system..
    The logic system will really sate us for a long time, along with the new weapons system. But that's why we're so on edge! Because the new stuff is just so cool that we just can't wait!

Trouble is, I think it's the weapons system that's keeping it back, from what I've heard balancing it is quite hard.

Reaction score
    The logic system will really sate us for a long time, along with the new weapons system. But that's why we're so on edge! Because the new stuff is just so cool that we just can't wait!

Trouble is, I think it's the weapons system that's keeping it back, from what I've heard balancing it is quite hard.
    Let me just tell you this: Schema is on a fixing spree, it's unreal ( :P ).

So if you have an idea what might be wrong, just say so in Game Support. I can't remember one instance where someone hinted something like a memory leak (which is also unlikely, since it's Java).

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Let me just tell you this: Schema is on a fixing spree, it's unreal ( :p ).

So if you have an idea what might be wrong, just say so in Game Support. I can't remember one instance where someone hinted something like a memory leak (which is also unlikely, since it's Java).
    If I did I would :) but I think the game will take a while because balancing power requirements/power of guns etc is holding the game back. Everything else is probably done and ready. I have no doubt they are working hard though!

Reaction score
    As a developer myself, minor bugfixes and optimization should really come after the framework for the main features is built in. It doesn't make sense to fix a system you're planning on throwing out soon anyway.

Reaction score
    As a developer myself, minor bugfixes and optimization should really come after the framework for the main features is built in. It doesn't make sense to fix a system you're planning on throwing out soon anyway.
    I think they're trying to balance the game's new weapon system with power and other integers. From what I've seen in the dev build there is a LOT of work to do.

If you develop you could volunteer.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    It's always a little chicken / egg situation. But having a solid foundation is pretty crucial for moving forward.

Solid core before shiny things.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    But we want shiny :( *Throws tantrum*
    Better don't joke like that lest someone will take it seriously and we'll get crowds of players complaining about and generating bad rep for the game because of instability and horrible performance.

I'd agree that solid foundation is vital, especially in a game like Starmade which already is quite demanding when it comes to system resources. I strongly believe that optimization and bugfixing should take absolute priority over all features and polishing, though I'd say that at this point of development, it'd be also good to have core features finished before undertaking to rework and optimize them.

Reactions: Cybertooth