[Discussion] Tired of hearing "soon"? Thoughts on the Q&A

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The primary annoying part is that the new update contains what probably should have been several seperate updates... The logic system, which is pretty much finished and would have made for a nice standalone update, the new planets, which still need work, the new decorative blocks (A.K.A. really awesome new shiny stuff... Colored crystals FTW.), which should probably be released right now as a seperate update since they're just decorative and don't depend on any other new system,and of course the long-awaited weapons update, which is impressive but full of bugs which will take a while to fix.

...Once the game is "finished" and released as Version 1.0, I'd like to see a return to this longer release schedule of "expansion packs." However, for now, without sufficient features to keep players interested in the long periods between these expansions, these updates should be released in units, not large chunks that take a total of 6 months to finish. Not only does this cause players to get bored in the interim, but it can cause people to burn out about two weeks after the update due to trying so many mechanics and features out...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Neon_42
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The primary annoying part is that the new update contains what probably should have been several seperate updates... The logic system, which is pretty much finished and would have made for a nice standalone update, the new planets, which still need work, the new decorative blocks (A.K.A. really awesome new shiny stuff... Colored crystals FTW.), which should probably be released right now as a seperate update since they're just decorative and don't depend on any other new system,and of course the long-awaited weapons update, which is impressive but full of bugs which will take a while to fix.
    [...]
    ...Once the game is "finished" and released as Version 1.0, I'd like to see a return to this longer release schedule of "expansion packs." However, for now, without sufficient features to keep players interested in the long periods between these expansions, these updates should be released in units
    I agree fully. The logic system update would have, reportedly, made a huge impact in performance.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    this thread makes me angry,some people should not be allowed to play any game.I dont want to call out people(i kinda do),but holy god ,there are some really unbelievable people.
    Shut down this thread,please for the sake of sanity,this is like a disease

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    this thread makes me angry,some people should not be allowed to play any game.I dont want to call out people(i kinda do),but holy god ,there are some really unbelievable people.
    So you are saying that because people are worried about the future game and show that concern we are not allowed to play?

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Then don't read it, problem solved. If the 'It's an alpha' argument is valid then this one surely is to.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    So you are saying that because people are worried about the future game and show that concern we are not allowed to play?
    well,i see that you guys misunderstood me,i read this whole thread just a few hours ago,and there are a lot of comments where certain people bash Schema for not releasing updates every day,and saying that schema is lazy,throwing hate all around,you read all that too ,right? that is what i meant

Reactions: generalBLT13

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    yes, but the convo has moved on, and saying that now is just wrong. You generalised this entire thread and the people commenting negatively here

Reactions: Neon_42
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    yes, but the convo has moved on, and saying that now is just wrong. You generalised this entire thread and the people commenting negatively here
    well,i guess now that i look at it that way,you are right.
    I guess my emotions took over when i read all that at once..it was too much lol.
    i love this game soo much,and some comments just made me sick,so anger took me over at that moment.
    i apologize for any inconvenience

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Furthermore I define "alpha" with feature incomplete, which it is. I just don't want to add flashy features with nothing behind it, as that will in the long run be the downfall of any game. Rushing implementation on important gameplay aspects that are not clean and fully thought through will mess up the code so much that it become unmanageable.

As said, I'm sorry it's taken so long, but it's in the best interest of the game in the long run. It will make the implementation of other things A LOT faster.

I do all the basic work first, and then add flashy features much faster.
    Yea my only thing is if that the case this game will never leave alpha... no offence. What more things can be "added" to make things flashy besides what we all are dying for?
    1.Better AI (autopilot)
    2.Working Npc's
    3.Finnish weapon update

I guess the flashy stuff would be user suggested ideas and mods? otherwise when will it leave Alpha? And I'm not saying go faster take you time this pace is fine with me... I'm just wondering what need to be finished before you get to the *Top-secret flashy stuff....

Reaction score
    Yea my only thing is if that the case this game will never leave alpha... no offence. What more things can be "added" to make things flashy besides what we all are dying for?
    1.Better AI (autopilot)
    2.Working Npc's
    3.Finnish weapon update

I guess the flashy stuff would be user suggested ideas and mods? otherwise when will it leave Alpha? And I'm not saying go faster take you time this pace is fine with me... I'm just wondering what need to be finished before you get to the *Top-secret flashy stuff....
    I'm guessing alpha will be gone once the game is fully sellable, IE once the things you mentioned are fully completed and integrated.

I didn't know Finland made weapon updates #crapjokes

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    there are a lot of comments where certain people bash Schema for not releasing updates every day
    ...No sane person is asking for this, and though I don't feel like reading through pages of previous discussion to confirm this, I don't recall anyone asking for updates 'every day'... just updates faster than once every six months.

Reaction score
    Okay, so, I'm new to StarMade, but I know a little about coding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

The Mythical Man Month is a book by Fred Brooks that says, in essence, adding people to a project after it has started will just make the project later. I would love to see someone else on the Schine team, but I don't think any new people should be added until after the game core is done.

As far as the game being in Alpha goes, it looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong) like it's approaching the end of alpha. Almost all the basic functionality is either there or planned for the next update So why complain about it now? You have to remember that the main point of an alpha build is not to garner a large community (although that couldn't hurt), or even to release frequent updates (although again, it's not a bad idea), but just to build a playable game. Right now, StarMade is ~80-90% playable, with a few kinks (economy being a big one) still to be worked out. Once it goes into beta, however, frequent updates will be required, and it will be important to build up a community. So, all these points people keep bringing up are valid, but not super relevant until the game exits alpha.

I don't think Schine has handled this development perfectly, but considering it's an indie game being developed by one guy, I'm willing to wait for an update. Heck, there's plenty to do in the game as is. So many ship ideas, so little time... And while I do think that new content should be released, IMO, as long as Schema is working steadily, I'm happy. Regular updates aren't very crucial until the game is out of alpha. And I don't see much of a way to speed up the releases.

Still again, releasing in smaller chunks would be nice. First decoration, then new planets, then logic, etc. It would make the interim a little more interesting...

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have a feeling that everybody has a different opinion on what an alpha or beta is or should be. An alpha is a working but incomplete software version, a beta a feature complete, but bugged and (in case of games) unbalanced version, and a gold version is a virtually bug-free version that can be released safely. Minecraft beta, for example, was an alpha that was labelled beta at an arbitrary point to justify a higher (but still quite low, to be fair) price.

When internet became popular and affordable patching software became far easier, more and more games were published while still in beta and had to be patched later. Why waste money on beta testers when the customers do that for free? Today games are often released as an incomplete and terribly bugged alpha for the full price and the missing content is later sold separately as DLC to people who are stupid or rich enough.

Thus wordings like "when the game goes into beta" are slightly ambiguous.

Reactions: der_scheme