Directed Hyperspace Inhibitors, Jammers, & Sensor Packages

Reaction score
    In summary, this request has been extended to expand on play counterplay experienced in star made. I am not fully familiar with all the mechanics of this game yet please bear with me. I would like to propose a modification of current systems or addition of modification blocks that alter the function of systems.

Directed Hyperspace Inhibitor Block for the hyperspace Inhibitor. In the navy, you don't have to counter Poseidon himself just the ship in front of you. Also, I personally would rather not hyperspace jam the entire sector. Just implement block that focuses the effect into a cone that I can direct in the 3D compass directions or mount to a turret. I propose allowing the effects of the jamming to follow the inverse square law with a modification of the intensity of the effect at its inception point for how focused down the effect is.

Directed Jammers Blocks would change the functionality of Jamming systems. Currently jamming systems in Starmade are actually more akin to ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) rather than the Electronic Jamming they claim to represent. An electronic countermeasure (ECM) is an electrical or electronic device designed to trick or deceive radar, sonar or other detection systems, like infrared (IR) or lasers. It may be used both offensively and defensively to deny targeting information to an enemy. I propose that directionalized jamming be proper jamming. Electronic jamming and deception is the intentional emission of radio frequency signals to interfere with the operation of a radar by saturating its receiver with noise or false information. In standard mode, directional jamming produces a Ph-alse Signals (Phantom Radar Returns) With the intent to overwhelm the opposing player's ability to keep track of real signatures amongst the noise. In standard mode, these false positives should last a few seconds each and is instantiated quickly. Moving about sporadically. In Deceiver Mode So long as the enemy is within your cone of jamming a single phantom ship is produced. But this ship will try and stay just outside of the visible detection range of an enemy. It will fly away slowly from them leading them away from the clocked vessel. In the obfuscate mode, it will create phantom signatures that are identical copies of all radar signatures within a small distance from your ship. This will allow you to make your fleet appear bigger than it really is to the enemy. We are not using these systems to defeat the enemies computers but rather the enemies ability to think and operate effectively. In standard mode, there should be a balance struck between the number of false contacts and duration of those false contacts.

Sensor Packages are a proposed directionalized system that can verify a target relatively reliably. It functions by expending the energy on a ship in exchange for limiting the duration and number of false contacts from standard mode directionalized jamming. It will dispell obfuscation mode entirely if the sensor is more powerful than the jammer. (Note because this is directionalized this means the scanner only dispells Phalse Returns in the direction the player is looking or turret is aiming. Meaning the Jammed player still has to look for their target.) And in the event of decever mode actually, detect and highlight the player's actual ship by tracing the signal of the deceiving ship back to its source after a period of time.

With the implementation of these systems, we can hope to see an additional layer of strategic resourcefulness from the player base as they strive to build stealth boats because of their new utility as dedicated Jamming and misdirection ships.

Nagas Guardian Mar 08-18

Last edited: