Devblog 2017 - 10 - 13

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Greetings Citizens,

A week ago, we started uploading public dev builds containing the new power system. These are unstable versions and should never be used on your everyday StarMade installation, yet they do allow you to play around with work in progress features for the upcoming release. You’re most likely going to suffer from data loss on the tested world so make sure to use a separate install for only these dev builds.

We would normally not ask to check out these early dev builds. However, considering the nature of this update, we would appreciate it if you left constructive feedback on these early in-game features to give us time to adjust them.

We’ve already read the feedback left here and that gave us a good idea on what to still work on or redesign. Currently we’re working out some small but important changes to address your concerns.

We could also use more feedback on the user interface and the information it provides, where it should be streamlined to ensure a better build and flight experience.

Balance concerns or suggestions should be mentioned too, the configs change almost every dev build though so make sure to mention the version number you’ve tested with.

If you find any bugs, report them here (only fill in areas that are relevant) or leave a comment in this thread if you’re not too sure about it.

We’ve also created a thread where you can leave chamber related suggestions (thread)

Thanks for playing StarMade,

~ The Schine Team

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We could also use more feedback on the user interface and the information it provides, where it should be streamlined to ensure a better build and flight experience.
    I encountered a few issues where the UI wasn't working correctly (I'll put screenshots in spoilers which show the issue)
    • The stabilization indicator in build mode befor placing a stabilizer doesn't work
    • Elements of trees overlapping each other for stealth and FTL chambers
    • Not specific to new power system, but the HUD icons show on cores and computers despite being set to none

Reactions: AtraUnam

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I encountered a few issues where the UI wasn't working correctly (I'll put screenshots in spoilers which show the issue)
    • Not specific to new power system, but the HUD icons show on cores and computers despite being set to none
    Those are the "crucial" only indicators such as press "R" to enter ship core, to activate block, ... as they replace the old text that used to appear on the block themselves.
    "none" could be changed to really have nothing but then you would be missing out on a lot of information such as not knowing which button to press to enter a core, or to link blocks to each other. I'm not sure if that is desired.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Those are the "crucial" only indicators such as press "R" to enter ship core, to activate block, ... as they replace the old text that used to appear on the block themselves.
    "none" could be changed to really have nothing but then you would be missing out on a lot of information such as not knowing which button to press to enter a core, or to link blocks to each other. I'm not sure if that is desired
    In my opinion the current "none" should be renamed to "crucial" or something like this.
    I for one would like and use an actual "none" setting. I used to ignore the old text (I forgot it even was a thing until you mentioned it) and find these icons harder to ignore. The information I would miss out on is stuff I already know, so the flashier the indicator telling me things I already know the more anoying it is to me.

Reaction score
    In my opinion the current "none" should be renamed to "crucial" or something like this.
    I for one would like and use an actual "none" setting. I used to ignore the old text (I forgot it even was a thing until you mentioned it) and find these icons harder to ignore. The information I would miss out on is stuff I already know, so the flashier the indicator telling me things I already know the more anoying it is to me.
    So very much this.

"None" should do what it says on the tin, and it should definitely be available as an option.
    If you have been playing the game for any amount of time, you may actually come to remember what certain keys do, and not want that in your face all the time. I mean, I could try to ignore it if it were in some distant corner of the screen, but even then I think I'd find it more annoying than useful.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    As always, thanks for the effort and dedication in the game.

I hope this new change of mechanics, facilete more things, instead of overwhelming the player with configurations.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Short of a complete redesign of the current windowing system to allow switching between multiple concurrent windows while still being able to control the ship, here are a few thoughts on the UI as it is:
    - focus search fields when opened from another window. In other words, for example don't focus the search box in the inventory screen, as that is opened via hotkey and you may want to close it using the same hotkey, but do focus the search box if i "change recipe" in a factory, or "add purchase price" in a shop.

- fill-as-you-type selection drop down lists everywhere, like it is done when selecting which items to storage-auto-pull. Moreover, change them from drop down to actual lists where the containing window is big enough to allow such luxury, or if possible resize any windows with such lists. Again, storage auto pull, "add single/category", just resize the window to encompass the full length of the list, change it from drop down to fixed, and dynamically update the content as you fill in the search field.

- change the way highlighting is done in "shop - set prices". Currently, a commodity that is just outside the acceptable stock volume is rendered in white, when it should be red. Example: Commodity 'A', selling, min stock=1000, available stock=1000, currently white, should be red because I won't sell any more. Commodity 'B', buying, max stock=10, current stock=10, rendered white, should be red, same thing.

- if the message log is open in map view, scroll wheel also affects map zoom. In fact, there are still lots of places where either scrolling, clicking, or click-dragging affects underlying windows. Do not completely disable access to the underlying windows, just catch the clicks on the topmost window.

- the map in general could do with some improvements:
    - currently, faction territory is opaque except the selected system
    - it would be nice if the 26 systems around the selected one would show stations as well, provided they have been explored of course
    - stations and fleets should be rendered in their faction's colours, and/or have some other way of identifying their status; maybe the names could be coloured and tagged, and a toggle to show all names at the same time

- the ship HUD would be much improved if several targets could be selected at the same time, with their distances shown even when they are out of view and only the direction indicator is shown. Selection could be by faction, by type, or multi-select individual items from the list.
    - integrate the navigation filter into the nav list, it doesn't really have to have its own window
    - do not hide the HUD, and allow the ship to be controlled when the nav window is open
    - give us a way to disable those pesky status info windowlets. Yes, I know my "jump drive isn't charged", and "something is affecting me"...
    That's just a few things off the top of my head, I may remember more as I encounter them ;)

EDIT:
    Here's more, I'll add as I go

- add those small red 'x's to all the input fields. Some already have them, most don't but would profit.
    - also add one of them to the brush size selection in advanced build mode to quickly reset all dimensions, same for symmetry axes.
    - allow text input fields to receive double clicks to 'select all text'; also, select all text by default when text fields get focus as is already done in some windows.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Greetings Citizens,

A week ago, we started uploading public dev builds containing the new power system. These are unstable versions and should never be used on your everyday StarMade installation, yet they do allow you to play around with work in progress features for the upcoming release. You’re most likely going to suffer from data loss on the tested world so make sure to use a separate install for only these dev builds.

We would normally not ask to check out these early dev builds. However, considering the nature of this update, we would appreciate it if you left constructive feedback on these early in-game features to give us time to adjust them.

We’ve already read the feedback left here and that gave us a good idea on what to still work on or redesign. Currently we’re working out some small but important changes to address your concerns.

Balance concerns or suggestions should be mentioned too, the configs change almost every dev build though so make sure to mention the version number you’ve tested with.

If you find any bugs, report them here (only fill in areas that are relevant) or leave a comment in this thread if you’re not too sure about it.

We’ve also created a thread where you can leave chamber related suggestions (thread)

Thanks for playing StarMade,

~ The Schine Team
    Thank you Schema, really thank you! I know this is far from the official release, but at least it is here: the power update.
    Was it worth months of waiting and reducing our StarMade time? I am sure it will turn out to be. I know that all of you are a group of people with lives and works outside of StarMade, so I can forgive the delay. I am greatful for all the work and spare time you put into this project and this update will be the result of that for a very long time. So again: thank you, Schema!
    I did not have a lot of time yet to test it, so I don't have any feedback yet, unfortunatly.

Reaction score
    Maybe I totally forgot how to make turrets and it might have been said before, but rail turret axis don't seem to know how to work anymore. I checked my costruction for collision a hunderd times and there is nothing in it's way, but still turrets refuse to move. I can move my cursor up/down and left/right, but they don't work as one piece like they used to.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Cleaning up mobs/spawned entities then going to navigation menu while Catalog still open causes crash. Have to go back to desktop as "continue" don't work.

Reaction score
    Maybe I totally forgot how to make turrets and it might have been said before, but rail turret axis don't seem to know how to work anymore. I checked my costruction for collision a hunderd times and there is nothing in it's way, but still turrets refuse to move. I can move my cursor up/down and left/right, but they don't work as one piece like they used to.
    Maarten, it's not the turrets themselves, AI is broken in the dev builds...
    When you go inside the turret, you cannot move it. I'm not AI...
    There are multiple issues around logic and rails at the moment; AI as such is not broken, fleet and NPC AI works the same as always AFAICT.

Reaction score
    fleet and NPC AI works the same as always AFAICT.
    For fleet its a no no. Not with my ships on my solo world anyway.
    Could you be more specific?
    I have tried the following fleet commands with results as expected:
    - Idle / in formation
    - Move to sector
    - Attack / defend sector
    - Sentry / in formation

If your ships rely heavily on turrets, then of course the outcome might not be pleasant. But the basic commands work for me, single player, 0.200.121 and earlier. Results not yet in for 0.200.122

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Fleet do not move at all. I tried those comands as well and when i spawn pirates my fleet just sit there.

Reaction score
    Fleet do not move at all. I tried those comands as well and when i spawn pirates my fleet just sit there.
    Currently on 0.200.122, I just ordered a fleet to attack a pirate station and then defend that sector.
    Something is definitely wonky, but it's not the AI per se. The fleet attacked just fine, but it couldn't crack the station's shields, so I went in and torched it. Up to that point, the station hadn't called in support. When it finally arrived, I had to order the fleet to stop attacking the now derelict station and take care of the pirate ships, which they did - up to the point where there were only the cores left, which apparently are indestructible. They never went into overheating, just swarmed around and tried to be a nuisance until I finally destroy_entity'd them.

Reaction score
    Sounds like this could be related to entities not having any structure/systems HP anymore. With that gone the game has no reference data for calculating Overheat threshold. This causes Overheat to not trigger at all, and you get to see indestructible cores being an annoyance...

Last edited:

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    regarding repulsors, they only work when aimed at the floor (ship downwards direction).
    tested in .122 build:

in the first image, i tried making the ship (hovertank) corner by repelling itself off the walls (nope). in the second i tried using them to let the cart pull itself towards the train. and again, no luck. (any downwards facing repulsors work like a charm tho)

Edit: its not at all visible in the images, but the repulsors floating next to the tank ar aimed left/right, and the traincart's are aimed foreward. neither group does anything at all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be *VERY* useful if the graphics of the factories and refineries would change to show the charge status. It takes painfully long for a single reactor block to power a refinery. A little green power bar filling up would be great.

Also, I've find that refining/building things takes painfully long when the limited power a single reactor block generates in the new power system. Not being able to place stabilizers outside of build mode doesn’t improve matters much. Instead, these blocks wait until they have enough charge to perform their action--which can take minutes with a single power block in the new system.

Also... speaking of power.. to solve another problem I've been bringing up from time to time with the game basically being dead to the player if they don't have a reactor or a power bean (no way to build new blocks). have newly factories, when in astronaut mode, be placed fully charged so they can fabricate one power block without external power (or, allow them to slowly charge themselves up at a rate of 1 power unit every so many seconds). The power requirement (and storage capacity) of a factory should increase lineally with the number of factory enhancers attached to it.