Devblog 18th July, 2017 - End Goal Document Part 2

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    And I wouldn't say SM has weapon designs either-it has an depth way to customize the skin of your weapons but thats where it ends.
    Are you serious dude? The weapons in this game have insane depth, far more than any other voxel space game out there. The differences between different combos are hardly just "reskins."

Reaction score
    Idk if its possible in SM but kind of like how Space Engineers has turrets and guns that aren't made out of blocks, but are stationary tools-that I would love to see.
    fully customizable 100% player created components is starmades biggest advantage over similar games.

And I wouldn't say SM has weapon designs either-it has an depth way to customize the skin of your weapons but thats where it ends. Well it also has effects but they all look the same so its not very "creative" at the end of the day.
    youre equating starmades lack of well developed graphics and sound with a lack of depth... youre wrong.

Reaction score
    One idea for the warp gate problem

Make it to where warpgates function like the ship current/total HP system. You build it, push the button to set its HP and activate it, then itll work until its hp reaches a certain point. Could even make it degrading effectiveness, where each teleport will start to set the gate on a cooldown if its HP gets too low, until the warpgate stops working entirely.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No. You and I have both been on these forums for over 4 years. You should know that rainbows and flowers do not work on Schine.
    Have you tried mice, yet?

Be tactful and assertive, not aggressive and rude; in no other area of life would this be remotely tolerable except on internet forums.
    You can't have seen much from the world. I met people irl who are much worse.

Reactions: Lecic

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    all this talk about warp gates. What happen to hyper drive? Is that off the table now?

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    What i find absolutely fascinating is the point that you guys are developing for over ten years and this vision still needs tweaking... How could you even start coding if the game concept was not done before?
    Well the game has potential, which comes from the building aspect... just saying.
    Thanks for reading
    This is a common misconception. The ENGINE has been in development for 10 years, give or take. The game itself has been in development for ~5 years. Not only this, most, probably 90% at least, of both of those were done by a single man, who gained no profit from either until around year 3 of the game's development, whereas he had to work another job and may still have to while working on this.

I've really got to commend Schine, especially Schema. Not only could he have pursued a more paying career, such as a lawyer or a doctor, he purposefully set his life aside to pursue his dream, which, unfortunately, has a large chance of being a lot less profitable than the other options.

Not only that, they regularly face harsh and usually regurgitated criticisms from the community over everything they do. If they focus on new things the community's all, "Focus on getting your game fixed and working before you add in new stuff, you dumbasses!" If they follow this advice the community's all, " WTF is with you tweaking the old stuff so much that anything new is gonna break the game? The game is so stale, 7-month old saltines look better in comparison! WE NEED NEW STUFF!" If they take a break, it's "GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASSES AND DO SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE!" If they take a long time to do both it's "Does it really take so long to do something so trivial? My god Schine, maybe you should sign off your game to someone else." If they show even a little favoritism in any direction, the community is either up in flames or slowed to a crawl as it is now. If they choose to do everything equally like they had been, they are called mis-organized and unable to do anything meaningful. If they choose to reveal their current PLANS, they're going to be called liars when some of it isn't released on schedule or are redone. If they try to switch priorities every update they get "Fucking pick one already!" along with having to make sure the game and their plans can handle both without breaking or becoming unbalanced. It's really a lose-lose situation for them. Yet they push on, with no sign of stopping. They have so much patience with us, it's almost like they're being held hostage. Hopefully one day at least a somewhat sizable group of us on here can be appreciative of the work they've done.

Reactions: Jananton
    Reaction score
    Will you be able to limit a server to 1 galaxy?

Could a faction points cost be used to offer "homebase" protection on other stations? Incentive for players to group up.

Starmade-australia is using a reverse faction point system (gain additional points per system owned) and so far more enjoy it this way than to the default settings, our current problem is what to do with FP

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Does this mean that Starmade is going to develop and officially support add-on content? All aboard the hype-train!
    What was meant by that comment was that flora and fauna aren't really going to be a primary aspect of the game in a major way. They will be things you encounter, and maybe you will need something out of them or receive something out of harvesting them, but they will not be the way to achieve your personal victory in the grand scheme of things. They aren't the biggest priority.

implication is that other galaxies will still be present, yes?
    Yes they will be. When we get to properly working on universe changes, we may tinker with the concept that they are even farther apart than they are currently.

I wonder if it would be possible to implement various scale build mode?
    We can put models into the game that take up more than 1 block of space, but nothing that pertains to that is a priority. Those would be decorative blocks or features such as mini anti-personnel turrets for vehicles, which is not what starmade needs right now.

What happen to hyper drive? Is that off the table now?
    No it isn't. We are thinking of a way to incorporate that into the capital ship/chamber stuff without it being a glorified jump drive with a different name.

It is something that I and at least a few others would like to see as an option. For now we will still have an infinite universe, however we might increase the space between galaxies.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    What was meant by that comment was that flora and fauna aren't really going to be a primary aspect of the game in a major way. They will be things you encounter, and maybe you will need something out of them or receive something out of harvesting them, but they will not be the way to achieve your personal victory in the grand scheme of things. They aren't the biggest priority.

Yes they will be. When we get to properly working on universe changes, we may tinker with the concept that they are even farther apart than they are currently.

We can put models into the game that take up more than 1 block of space, but nothing that pertains to that is a priority. Those would be decorative blocks or features such as mini anti-personnel turrets for vehicles, which is not what starmade needs right now.

No it isn't. We are thinking of a way to incorporate that into the capital ship/chamber stuff without it being a glorified jump drive with a different name.

It is something that I and at least a few others would like to see as an option. For now we will still have an infinite universe, however we might increase the space between galaxies.
    REPLY.TO.YOUR.THREAD

Reaction score
    I don't know why I even read the comments anymore lol. I think my phone is on the verge of becoming a piece of beef jerky in my hand from all the saltiness...

It's just a game y'all.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Not only that, they regularly face harsh and usually regurgitated criticisms from the community over everything they do. If they focus on new things the community's all, "Focus on getting your game fixed and working before you add in new stuff, you dumbasses!" If they follow this advice the community's all, " WTF is with you tweaking the old stuff so much that anything new is gonna break the game? The game is so stale, 7-month old saltines look better in comparison!
    THE community doesn't do this, because THE community doesn't exist. The problem is the part of the community, that makes the wrong demands, while the other part is right. ;)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is a common misconception. The ENGINE has been in development for 10 years, give or take. The game itself has been in development for ~5 years. Not only this, most, probably 90% at least, of both of those were done by a single man, who gained no profit from either until around year 3 of the game's development, whereas he had to work another job and may still have to while working on this.

I've really got to commend Schine, especially Schema. Not only could he have pursued a more paying career, such as a lawyer or a doctor, he purposefully set his life aside to pursue his dream, which, unfortunately, has a large chance of being a lot less profitable than the other options.

Not only that, they regularly face harsh and usually regurgitated criticisms from the community over everything they do. If they focus on new things the community's all, "Focus on getting your game fixed and working before you add in new stuff, you dumbasses!" If they follow this advice the community's all, " WTF is with you tweaking the old stuff so much that anything new is gonna break the game? The game is so stale, 7-month old saltines look better in comparison! WE NEED NEW STUFF!" If they take a break, it's "GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASSES AND DO SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE!" If they take a long time to do both it's "Does it really take so long to do something so trivial? My god Schine, maybe you should sign off your game to someone else." If they show even a little favoritism in any direction, the community is either up in flames or slowed to a crawl as it is now. If they choose to do everything equally like they had been, they are called mis-organized and unable to do anything meaningful. If they choose to reveal their current PLANS, they're going to be called liars when some of it isn't released on schedule or are redone. If they try to switch priorities every update they get "Fucking pick one already!" along with having to make sure the game and their plans can handle both without breaking or becoming unbalanced. It's really a lose-lose situation for them. Yet they push on, with no sign of stopping. They have so much patience with us, it's almost like they're being held hostage. Hopefully one day at least a somewhat sizable group of us on here can be appreciative of the work they've done.
    This may surprise you, but "the community" is actually comprised of multiple groups that have different opinions on the state of things, so if you focus on any one thing dramatically over another, those players will speak out. And I thought the whole point of releasing information about future updates was to get feedback on how to improve them before they're implemented, saving time? You act like receiving criticism of plans is bad thing.

Reaction score
    Ok sounds good!
    You should make the Warpgates be able to connect by just linking them via the map, maybe a UI when the player is close by, I often felt I had the need to reroute gates when one is destroyed, or I wanna go somewhere else than I set it up, having 4 different warpgates for my little planet base is just silly, that is why rerouting them would make them much more useful.
    -Regards
    As far as warp gates go I think that they ought to have "destination blocks" in which you would toggle what warp gate or coordinate [as in the gates functioning as accelerators, not as strictly linked objects] it would send you to. These could be toggled on and off with logic. This coupled with my "Logic Activator Beam" suggestion [Read by Schine - Logic Activator beam] would lead to a SUPER cool system that would allow for multiple destinations to be triggered from a single point. Think about a sort of hub kind of experience.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yeah I meant as small accessory things. But thats not how I feel like about SE. When I use those in SE it feels more like a real game, like in Futurama when Fry uses the gun on the Planet Express. Starmade has nothing like that because everything you pilot feels the same. And I wouldn't say SM has weapon designs either-it has an depth way to customize the skin of your weapons but thats where it ends. Well it also has effects but they all look the same so its not very "creative" at the end of the day.
    [doublepost=1500411930,1500411599][/doublepost]
    Theres a game called Fortress Craft that does something like that. I havent really checked it out but it has space elements too. That would be the best way to implement it I think. And it could be used for everything because it would add so much detail to the game. Things like plates and forks, knives, swords, and guns hanging on the walls of your bridge, better letters/signs without display blocks, roleplay joysticks and helmets laying around. Damn the more I think about it the better it seems! It would make detailing the future dungeons and planets easier too because the devs could just whip up any block designs in game instead of a editor.
    [/QUOTE]

Dude, do you even build?
    you really consider placing turrets and reskinning them the same as building them from ground up any size you wish? seriously, try farmville you might like it...

My point still stays how to cater the engine towards a game if you do not know what the game should become like? Your version made it even worse, no wonder the game concept and engine are so alien towards each other an thus result in theese weird mechanics just trying to mix it together somehow...
    And i could not care less about "the community"s demands switching like a flag in the wind. I always express my concerns and i am not doing this as a popularity contest either. I did software development for over 15 years and if stuff shows signs of "uargh guys, you still have a plan?!" i have two options either share my concern/my way of doing things or not care. - i like the game so...

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I'm pretty stoked about all of the options to explorer-style players. These are all elements that I have been LONG wanting to interact with in my gameplay. I really like the idea that a person will be able just do "whatever" -- This fits my gameplay style. I think I want to be a Builder/Explorer/Industrialist some day!

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    I'm pretty stoked about all of the options to explorer-style players. These are all elements that I have been LONG wanting to interact with in my gameplay. I really like the idea that a person will be able just do "whatever" -- This fits my gameplay style. I think I want to be a Builder/Explorer/Industrialist some day!
    You don't have to label yourself like that, maaaan!

Reactions: Jacemachine

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I think you just answered your own question. Why not just fold its functionality into jump drives by having a special chamber that greatly extends the jump drive range but gives some severe penalties?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I sort of love how we end up getting more info on the game from the comments and replies than we do from the actual dev post.

I was okay with the first 'document' post. But I was honestly expecting something a little more substantial, like perhaps a link to a multipage google doc roadmap or game plan that isn't formatted/shortened or broken up into several parts.

While the development of Starmade is still going strong - there is a huge disconnect between Schine and it's community. I believe Schine, in particular - coding, art and concepts need to be much more transparent with the community.

Sure, you'll get people hounding you to implement confirmed features - But I'm sure that'll be easier to manage than being practically abused by the most vocal of the playerbase.

Schine, please stop beating around the bush and trying to be mysterious devs about where you want Starmade to go.

If you're unsure, decide on an end goal, tell us. There are many players with thousands of hours of pvp/building and engine experience to assist with design and planning. Scrap what isn't needed and get it done. Once you reach that stage, modders will add in functionality you didn't.

If you are sure on the game concept and direction, tell the community. We will appreciate it and provide feedback. And not some neutered version of your plans either. Internal documentation on the game.

I've stuck by this game for a long time, and I know that this is the worst state the community has been in. It's not a lack of players, few players is fine. it's the loss of the most loyal players of the game, the people that actually care about the game enough to sink a good portion of their lives into it. Servers becoming less and less populated, a huge drop in activity on the forum.

I know i've defended Schine in the past. But it's time for them to be 'better'.

Reactions: alterintel

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I think you just answered your own question. Why not just fold its functionality into jump drives by having a special chamber that greatly extends the jump drive range but gives some severe penalties?
    We'd like to incorporate fleet mechanics into the capital ship jump drive stuff. Yet to be fully determined although I am sure you get which direction we are going by my comments.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive

Could a faction points cost be used to offer "homebase" protection on other stations? Incentive for players to group up.

Starmade-australia is using a reverse faction point system (gain additional points per system owned) and so far more enjoy it this way than to the default settings, our current problem is what to do with FP
    Faction points is essentially a place holder system for an over arching mechanic and will change substantially in the future. This is why you don't see it developed on much or at all. It's been talked about at length, and we have a system "designed" it's waiting on other parts of the game though.

Reactions: Macharius