Dev-Thread: New Shielding System in devlopment

Reaction score
    Maybe a new dock block: one that holds something in place only. Doesn't cause things to become child/parent.
    Which will allow to dock self powered turrets with 1 more step between a turret dock and the ship. Or a station and the turret if you say restrict it only to stations.

Reaction score
    Which will allow to dock self powered turrets with 1 more step between a turret dock and the ship. Or a station and the turret if you say restrict it only to stations.
    True, it would...was just an idea that sprang to mind.

Reaction score
    The Reactor of the Docked ships will still work. only the chambers will be turned off. at least the devs wrote it would be like that in the forum somwhere.
    so you can still build self powering turrets but you cant get them to use their own chambers.
    i dont know for sure if this is correct but i had the impression that power would also only go UP the docking chain. so you would not be able to dock Reactors to your ship that would provide power to the mothership.

Reactions: Dire Venom

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The Reactor of the Docked ships will still work. only the chambers will be turned off. at least the devs wrote it would be like that in the forum somwhere.
    so you can still build self powering turrets but you cant get them to use their own chambers.
    i dont know for sure if this is correct but i had the impression that power would also only go UP the docking chain. so you would not be able to dock Reactors to your ship that would provide power to the mothership.
    This is what should happen, whether that actually happens is something to be determined.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Docked entities will only pull power from their root entity for the foreseeable future, and perhaps unlike the other power changes, this is a clearly good thing. Self-powering turrets are a problem for balance, performance (as a self-powering turret can be arbitrarily large), and more importantly, they allow for clipping or chain-docking exploits that lead for far higher power density per dimensions (and even mass, as there's no extra volume to armor) than the system is intended to allow.

Reaction score
    So recharge power consumption is just a placeholder now, right? 0.1e/sec/block seems quite low.

Also, if the goal is to break up the shields of big capital ships into multiple units, I can tell you right now that the new system doesn't really accomplish that...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    So recharge power consumption is just a placeholder now, right? 0.1e/sec/block seems quite low.

Also, if the goal is to break up the shields of big capital ships into multiple units, I can tell you right now that the new system doesn't really accomplish that...
    it is not 0.1 e/s/b this depends on the stabilization. you will get up to 100 e/s/b when stabilization is at 100%

Edit: forget the above... thats the wrong system

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    it is not 0.1 e/s/b this depends on the stabilization. you will get up to 100 e/s/b when stabilization is at 100%
    Wait, so stabilization increases power consumption? Does it increase generation proportionally?

I don't understand, b/c right now I'm at 100% stabilization, and my shield generators are consuming 0.1e/s/b recharging shield capacitors as I add them.

Reaction score
    Wait, so stabilization increases power consumption? Does it increase generation proportionally?

I don't understand, b/c right now I'm at 100% stabilization, and my shield generators are consuming 0.1e/s/b recharging shield capacitors as I add them.
    ahh sorry i was somwhere else in my mind :-D

the 0.1e/s may change while the system is being finished and balanced.
    but if you consider that they lowered the power consuption of nerly every system and that you now need Multiple Shield generators for a bigger ship to cover it all this value seems to be quite nice to me

Reaction score
    ahh sorry i was somwhere else in my mind :-D

the 0.1e/s may change while the system is being finished and balanced.
    but if you consider that they lowered the power consuption of nerly every system and that you now need Multiple Shield generators for a bigger ship to cover it all this value seems to be quite nice to me
    Well that's just it, I'm making a death cube in .154 right now just to learn the ropes, as I've been away for over a year. The shield regen radius appears to scale linearly with block count, which means it gets MASSIVE on big ships. Right now I'm at 2500 meters, and I'm still using less than 1% of my power capacity recharging shields.

Reaction score
    Well that's just it, I'm making a death cube in .154 right now just to learn the ropes, as I've been away for over a year. The shield regen radius appears to scale linearly with block count, which means it gets MASSIVE on big ships. Right now I'm at 2500 meters, and I'm still using less than 1% of my power capacity recharging shields.
    as far as i know Shields in the new system do only consume power to recharge so you better take a look on how much energy they need to recharge when your shields took a nice ammount of damage

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As in ship size or bubble size:?
    2500 M would melt my computer O_O... Props for building that big anyway XD

Reaction score
    As in ship size or bubble size:?
    2500 M would melt my computer O_O... Props for building that big anyway XD
    Bubble size, 2500 meters. Ship was only a few million blocks.

And yeah, unfortunately I managed to corrupt the ship before I could test the shields on it :P

Also, I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but do we have any good stats for the reactor shields the chambers can make?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Bubble size, 2500 meters. Ship was only a few million blocks.

And yeah, unfortunately I managed to corrupt the ship before I could test the shields on it :P

Also, I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but do we have any good stats for the reactor shields the chambers can make?
    "Only a few mill......." o_O
    Corrupted, what do you mean btw:? Ship files shouldn't normally become currputed. As long as you save regular backups they shouldn't be an issue (saving as a new BP when you log off).
    But then again who knows what is going on with the devs builds XD A misplaced block and the whole ship goes down in flames.....

By reactor shields and chambers, do you mean the bonuses you can get from the chambers or how the shields scale :?

Reaction score
    "Only a few mill......." o_O
    Corrupted, what do you mean btw:? Ship files shouldn't normally become currputed. As long as you save regular backups they shouldn't be an issue (saving as a new BP when you log off).
    But then again who knows what is going on with the devs builds XD A misplaced block and the whole ship goes down in flames.....

By reactor shields and chambers, do you mean the bonuses you can get from the chambers or how the shields scale :?
    I accidentally deleted a giant portion of the ship right when the game was saving (I have the advanced build max dimensions extended past the official limit), game hung, when I eventually restarted more than 1/2 the ship was gone. It's probably somewhere in a backup, yeah, but it was just a dirty test cube so I haven't bothered yet.

And I meant how the "reactor shield" and "chamber shield" from the power chamber tree scales, yeah. I see no stats about it in the UI.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hm, thats odd. I think the UI for that dissapeared in the last version or so for whatever reason.

Reaction score
    Fights are already long enough between well balanced ships: See Blood and Steel Season 3, and specifically the finale. The finale was 30 minutes of combat between two ships of equal 12k mass.
    half that was lag and half that was you guys ships sucked

way easyer to do.
    "easier" not "better"
    theres your problem.

performance (as a self-powering turret can be arbitrarily large),
    in fancy meta pvp ships self powered turrets are much smaller than non self powered turrets, cause they can only properly run 2m on each entity, as opposed to jamming a few hundred k modules in there to 1 shot stuff.

Reaction score
    I'll admit there was lag, but calling the finalists of Blood and Steel's ships bad is like saying Olympic athletes suck at sports
    thanks for the laugh, but no, its nothing like that at all.

...and yes its a fact the ships in bns werent particularly great.