Dev-Thread: New Shielding System in devlopment

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Overall the new shielding is interesting and all, but I wonder will they add turret and docked entity shield sharing back? Currently turrets do not share shields, and can be crippled with almost any attack heavy enough to blow up the barrel, making them useless unless they are huge and self-shielded or casemate-style guns. And casemate guns create a ton of new problems, like excess collision checks on turret rotation.

Time to build monitors and missile-boats?
    This is a dev build. Features like this aren't generally added until a bit further on in the dev cycle. Right now they're just trying to get the base system working properly.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    If the new system of "shields" is going to be based on "bubble area", please, make a shield bubble, inside another, not be penalized.

Currently, the turrets, will not be able to have "own" shields, they must be "within reach" of the entity "mother", and I see myself, trying my turrets to be inside of the bubble shield or not completely covered with those shields.

Again please, do not put penalties on the shields, in my humble opinion, it will be the same as the 2.0 power system, many penalties, many changes, and we will have to wait another 2-3 months until this new change, be the new standard.

I would like to know what the developers are working on, what new penalties they will put in that new features ... if the weapons system is also going to change, will it have any penalties? because if they are going to have any penalties, I would like to know it now, and not with an eyedropper.

Reaction score
    Currently, the turrets, will not be able to have "own" shields, they must be "within reach" of the entity "mother", and I see myself, trying my turrets to be inside of the bubble shield or not completely covered with those shields.
    Currently (or in 200.143 at least) child entities don't benefit from their parent's shields even when in range

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    That's what I mean, if the turrets are not going to have their own strong shield, and I want to build a "bubble" shield under the turret, why should I have penalties that do not allow it?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That's what I mean, if the turrets are not going to have their own strong shield, and I want to build a "bubble" shield under the turret, why should I have penalties that do not allow it?
    I can see this being a bit problematic as well. The two main options I see: (assuming that docked entities get fixed and can benifit from shields)

-Build turrets on floating docks away from the ship and give each their own shield bubble
    Or
    -Build in-set ball turrets encased by the motherships shields

Building turrets with long barrels could be problimatic, and what happens when the turret rotates and part of the barrel goes outside the bubble?

Reaction score
    Either I've misunderstood what you said, or you've misunderstood what I said.

You said turrets won't have their own shields, but in 200.143 they will/do (who knows how it will end up)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Fellas don't forget, this stuff is far from finished. The devs haven't even said they're replacing the shield system yet, we don't know for sure it will make it into the release build. It could just be an experiment.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    yeah, that's why I ask it, if you build a turret, out of a ship, but you want to put a shield to protect that turret, using the shield of the mother ship, and this shield is "inside the area" of another shield of the mother ship, this would not work.

Reaction score
    yeah, that's why I ask it, if you build a turret, out of a ship, but you want to put a shield to protect that turret, using the shield of the mother ship, and this shield is "inside the area" of another shield of the mother ship, this would not work.
    Ok, I see. I haven’t tried it to see what happens - have you? I think it's too early to assume that this is how it will be.

Reaction score
    200.145 is out, and children are now being protected by the parent's shields again. Better this way I think.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Fellas don't forget, this stuff is far from finished. The devs haven't even said they're replacing the shield system yet, we don't know for sure it will make it into the release build. It could just be an experiment.
    From what I've seen in the past, the only thing the devs like more than reinventing the wheel is throwing good money after bad. You can guarantee this is going into the game.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    From what I've seen in the past, the only thing the devs like more than reinventing the wheel is throwing good money after bad. You can guarantee this is going into the game.
    Ya from the looks of it they were trying to simplify the power system but f'd it up badly as a result.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Ya from the looks of it they were trying to simplify the power system but f'd it up badly as a result.
    I fail to see how this system is bad?

Reaction score
    I fail to see how this system is bad?
    Let's say you dock a capital ship to an outpost station that is supposed to run its own systems and is not actually that big, more of a road stop. What happens to station and the ship when only one reactor is left working?

Or let's say you dock 4 ships to a station. What happens now? And that's not considering home bases that may have dozens of ships docked to them.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Let's say you dock a capital ship to an outpost station that is supposed to run its own systems and is not actually that big, more of a road stop. What happens to station and the ship when only one reactor is left working?

Or let's say you dock 4 ships to a station. What happens now? And that's not considering home bases that may have dozens of ships docked to them.
    That's a valid point.

Reaction score
    The capship will probably suck the station dry, until undocked, which is why it's something that needs to change...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I wonder if simply detecting whether or not the thing you are docking to is a station would work? (A ship is allowed to run its reactor if it's docked to a station, but not to another ship.) How could this be abused?

Edit: No wait I had a feeling there was a way. What would stop people from permanently docking "ships" with a reactor and loads of turrets for free defense energy? Weapon systems would have to shut down completely to prevent abuse.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I wonder if simply detecting whether or not the thing you are docking to is a station would work? (A ship is allowed to run its reactor if it's docked to a station, but not to another ship.) How could this be abused?

Edit: No wait I had a feeling there was a way. What would stop people from permanently docking "ships" with a reactor and loads of turrets for free defense energy? Weapon systems would have to shut down completely to prevent abuse.
    Errr already do that on my stations...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Errr already do that on my stations...
    I assume you mean your stations that you built with the old power system. Reactors of the new power system turn off when they're docked to something since the devs want to kill docked power reactors.

I tried to think of a way to allow ships docked to stations to continue running their reactors so their systems wouldn't suck the station dry, but... I think I accidentally re-invented docked reactors.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I assume you mean your stations that you built with the old power system. Reactors of the new power system turn off when they're docked to something since the devs want to kill docked power reactors.

I tried to think of a way to allow ships docked to stations to continue running their reactors so their systems wouldn't suck the station dry, but... I think I accidentally re-invented docked reactors.
    Maybe a new dock block: one that holds something in place only. Doesn't cause things to become child/parent.