decorative block color control

should attaching a light to a decoration block change its color?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Currently decorative blocks are somewhat limited in terms of color you’ve got server blocks graphs personal computers with two colors (correct me if I am wrong there). However the problem is that adding all different colors for each block would take a big chunk out of available block ID's so that is not possible. What if there were a system to change color of each type of block without adding a single ID even removing one of the personal computers.

I propose that computer color could be changed using the same system that changes weapon color(the projectile/missile not the computer). IE: the personal computer would have whatever background color that was attached to it. From my basic knowledge of game dev this would not be hard to implement simply changing the texture, or even the background of a static texture for each computer saving ram for the textures.

Note this would not effect weapon computers as that would be confusing cannon comps should stay blue etc...

let me know of your thoughts.

Reactions: terra mining corp.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I had suggested something similar previously. The idea was to use linked colored lights to impart a back-light onto a decorative display, This may give some nice effects without affecting the block-IDs. The more deco-blocks this works for the better.

Reactions: spaceEngineer

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Currently decorative blocks are somewhat limited in terms of color you’ve got server blocks graphs personal computers with two colors (correct me if I am wrong there). However the problem is that adding all different colors for each block would take a big chunk out of available block ID's so that is not possible. What if there were a system to change color of each type of block without adding a single ID even removing one of the personal computers.

I propose that computer color could be changed using the same system that changes weapon color(the projectile/missile not the computer). IE: the personal computer would have whatever background color that was attached to it. From my basic knowledge of game dev this would not be hard to implement simply changing the texture, or even the background of a static texture for each computer saving ram for the textures.

Note this would not effect weapon computers as that would be confusing cannon comps should stay blue etc...

let me know of your thoughts.
    Great idea!
    I remember making a similar suggestion a while ago, where you would have a universal computer that had the ability to change its texture.

The idea was to use linked colored lights to impart a back-light onto a decorative display
    This is a great idea. You could simply make it operate like a light with the ability to connect to logic. Then you could incorporate it into ship lighting systems as well as RED ALERT or other WARNING systems. :)

Reactions: spaceEngineer
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think the game still needs different data for each color. Perhaps this could be solved with different colors being treated as different orientations, similar to cargo space.