Damage pulse is useless

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I just made a damage pulse ship and I now realise how useless it is, I have damage pulse supported by damage beams for increased radius (I have 100% support). And even with increased range I can't hit anyone since first of all, even with increased radius it's still too small and even more annoying, the pulse doesn't get the ship momentum, so if the enemy moves you will never hit him.
    I suggest increasing default range and making pulse follow the output module block.

Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The first part about increasing range is iffy due to how the damage is dealt. make it too big and you can insta-nom an entire wing of fighters potentially. Following the output is a good idea though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    The first part about increasing range is iffy due to how the damage is dealt. make it too big and you can insta-nom an entire wing of fighters potentially. Following the output is a good idea though.
    Damage pulse need a radius increase that's for sure the question is, should it be proportional to the mass of the ship or should it be like it is now. Both option are fine IMO but what you stated won't happen since the ship has to be at very close quarters for it to do something. I actually got maximum radius and sometimes it's even hard to hit an almost immobile target.
    Also damage can be made proportional to the distance you are from the ship, this way the radius can be increased a lot.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Personally I feel that as a master, the damage pulse should fire out as an expanding projectile. Basically an unguided, area-of-effect weapon that could be used for bombardment or artillery, with decent range. I feel that would solve its problems and include new tactical opportunities. But I'm not sure how or if it could work, and if it does happen, push pulse should stay as it is now.
    Just my two cents on the damage pulse matter.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally I feel that as a master, the damage pulse should fire out as an expanding projectile. Basically an unguided, area-of-effect weapon that could be used for bombardment or artillery, with decent range. I feel that would solve its problems and include new tactical opportunities. But I'm not sure how or if it could work, and if it does happen, push pulse should stay as it is now.
    Just my two cents on the damage pulse matter.
    I like this idea maybe a combo should do it but I think the basic pulse have to remain

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    One thing that needs to be fixed with the damage pulse is that it doesn't calculate damage until the animation is done.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Also damage can be made proportional to the distance you are from the ship, this way the radius can be increased a lot.
    Honestly, that sounds like something missiles could use more (when hitting multiple entities). The main damage feature of Pulse is it's ability to do full damage to everything within it's range, I kinda don't wanna lose that.

But there was talks of changing pulse before, so it is planned to be altered. I think that changing how it is fired (launched instead of instantly set off) would be better than just upping the range.

Reaction score
    I just made a damage pulse ship and I now realise how useless it is, I have damage pulse supported by damage beams for increased radius (I have 100% support). And even with increased range I can't hit anyone since first of all, even with increased radius it's still too small and even more annoying, the pulse doesn't get the ship momentum, so if the enemy moves you will never hit him.
    I suggest increasing default range and making pulse follow the output module block.
    All you have to do is to make a pull effect system to pull in the opponents...

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Lets just go back to having range based on system dimensions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Pull weapons are quiet common...
    Damage Beam+Cannon+Pull Effect
    Cannon+Cannon+Pull Effect
    Missile+Missile+Pull Effect (Annoying as fuck, both as pull or push)
    Ok so you're saying a pull effect and a damage pulse is more powerful damage wise or just in general that a cannon+cannon or almost any weapon? Because that's what I was asking to see.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok so you're saying a pull effect and a damage pulse is more powerful damage wise or just in general that a cannon+cannon or almost any weapon? Because that's what I was asking to see.
    Nah, Damage Pulse has only 0.5 DPS per Weapon Block, compared to most weapons 5 DPS. The option to use it combined with pull weapons is there and works, and thats what you didnt believe according to your exchange with Nighthawk_77. If its effective or powerful, is another question.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Nah, Damage Pulse has only 0.5 DPS per Weapon Block, compared to most weapons 5 DPS. The option to use it combined with pull weapons is there and works, and thats what you didnt believe according to your exchange with Nighthawk_77. If its effective or powerful, is another question.
    lol you're not going to tell me what I believe or not mr smart, why do you think the name of the thread is damage pulse is useless? What I was asking for is a proof of how effective it is compared to a real weapon.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Of course it's useless. It has the lowest DPS per block and is incredibly difficult to hit with.