Criss' Thread

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The inner ship remotes definitely had names when saving the final versions. This notion that stuff that should be saved isn't being saved is quite annoying.
    This has been on going for awhile. It happens for wireless and other meta data.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thank you. I will check the ships for such links.
    You can also just fill your whole hotbar with weapons computers and keep placing and deleting different computers until the permanent logic link from the ship core to that spot disappears. I've done that before. That would probably be easiest.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    That is intentional. We do not want every civilization using USD. That standardizes it too much for the lore we were going for. The Outcasts use a half USD. The Scavengers are lucky to get a docking ring at all.
    Sorry Criss, but this makes no sense at all. A half USD is just silly, how are they supposed to dock to each other? And why wouldn't they use the USD if the Traders, who seem to be the most organised, use it on their ships?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sorry Criss, but this makes no sense at all. A half USD is just silly, how are they supposed to dock to each other? And why wouldn't they use the USD if the Traders, who seem to be the most organised, use it on their ships?
    It makes sense to me. Outcasts are essentially civilized Scavengers. Furthermore, why does it matter? Docking ship to ship is a player only action. NPC's will not be pulling off these maneuvers without carrier rails. I don't see the point.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It makes sense to me. Outcasts are essentially civilized Scavengers. Furthermore, why does it matter? Docking ship to ship is a player only action. NPC's will not be pulling off these maneuvers without carrier rails. I don't see the point.
    ...Because in the future players might be able to obtain these ships?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    My points still stand. While it's one block, Saber and I discussed it at length multiple times. The factions should be different. Down to the docking module. Of all the things, I don't think it's the biggest concern. I am sure others don't think it is either.

Reaction score
    If anything, only trading vessels would have standardized interfaces between all factions. It would be very advantageous to make it harder for the enemy to board your combat vessels, while civilian-only vessels would WANT to be able to connect to the faction that is responsible for most of the trade in the galaxy (Who uses the already-player-standard USD).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Once obtained, simply re-design the dock.

I would, however, expect any trade or diplomacy oriented ships (Freighters, VIP shuttles etc.) to have some agreed docking standard. I believe all three factions are supposed to be capable of non-combative interaction since the update?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Once obtained, simply re-design the dock.

I would, however, expect any trade or diplomacy oriented ships (Freighters, VIP shuttles etc.) to have some agreed docking standard. I believe all three factions are supposed to be capable of non-combative interaction since the update?
    Well we weren't even sure the Outcasts would get docking rings. They don't actually, we made them into docking squares. The Scavengers will use an assortment, as they steal their components or scratch build them. The way I see it, I don't see NPC ships docking with each other. They would dock to stations maybe, but the actual AI wouldn't be doing either of these things.

Reaction score
    ...Criss, I hate to be the negative person here, but build for lore, not for the poor functionality we have now. Don't base every off of the honestly dreadful docking AI, or what they WILL be able to do. Base it off of what makes SENSE. They MUST be able to connect to each other if they're in the same faction, should have some way to dock to each other if they're allies/trade partners, and might not only if they're combat vessels designed to never interact with the other faction(s).

Call it what you will: Lore, realism, OCD, whatever. But just saying "Because game mechanics don't allow it" is a poor way to design for a game that is ever-changing.

That said, it's probably time to start refitting some of my vessels...the ones that relied on the game mechanics that existed at the time.........so all of them, in fact. Anyway.

Hypocrisy to victory!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    What about docking to each other's stations?
    The ship docks to a station. A station does not dock to a ship, or anything for that manner. The only thing that can fire a docker is a ship. Stations will accommodate the ships for the faction. Docking rings will of course grant wider access to other types of ships. Scavengers for example will have hangars that only really work with their own ships.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The ship docks to a station. A station does not dock to a ship, or anything for that manner. The only thing that can fire a docker is a ship. Stations will accommodate the ships for the faction. Docking rings will of course grant wider access to other types of ships. Scavengers for example will have hangars that only really work with their own ships.
    No, he means docking to one another's stations. As in, a Trading Guild diplomatic vessel docking to an Outcast station, or vice versa.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    No, he means docking to one another's stations. As in, a Trading Guild diplomatic vessel docking to an Outcast station, or vice versa.
    Diplomatic vessel being a special case here, but would you expect different space-faring civilizations to create the same docking mechanism? Within a faction, sure, things should dock. The Outcasts already have half a USD, although it's square. I don't think that shape matters, but it is as close to being a galactic standard while still keeping the factions separate. Now I can try to make it so that one docking ring does not work at all with another factions docking ring, but I imagine that would result in only a few options. It's not a lot of space to work with.

And for the record, I really do not believe NPC ships will ever be using these docks. You have way too many possible ship-to-ship or ship-to-station combinations in order to create either the AI that knows how to use it properly, or the tools in-game to designate all of that. I mean, Schema has surprised me in the past for sure. He is a wizard. But I really really really doubt it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Diplomatic vessel being a special case here, but would you expect different space-faring civilizations to create the same docking mechanism?
    Yes, when they are in contact with one another and there are no particular reasons why they shouldn't.

(My faction doesn't use USDs, but only because it would make our docking ports ugly, and I'm trying to figure out a way to efficiently haul around a USD adapter with every ship)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I think the best argument for the USD being used is this community.

We can't agree on anything. At all. Yet the vast majority agreed that a standardised docking protocol was needed, and we're sticking with it. If we can do it, the same would happen for factions that have to trade with each other.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hello. With the release of the new update, I would very much like it if feedback on the ships and stations was posted here. Anything goes, from missing blocks, to system stats changes and so on. I would like the ships to be the best they can be.

However I will not change them immediately for marginal changes. I will also not change them if they are out of the original design philosophy for that build, such as putting lasers on the missile oriented combat ships for the Scavengers. I will also not change them if the result is something way too powerful or weak for their intended purpose.

But say if you know how to make power systems more efficient on something or a better route for weapon ratios, let me have it.
    Would adding text to the display modules on the Trader Base/HQ be something you could do? It would be very useful if the ones in the elevator shafts said what the floor above, current, and below were named. Maybe the ones in the bedrooms could have some logic making an ASCII person dance, heheh. =)

Reactions: Blodge

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Wait a minute. You guys are asking whether factions would be able to connect with one another's stations, but they already can. The Docks on the outcasts can be used on a TG station, and when we have Outcast stations are done they will have the receiving rail on their docks for the Outcast ships. Did you guys not know?

Would adding text to the display modules on the Trader Base/HQ be something you could do?
    They do have text. It is currently bugged out. Thadius spawned them in and they were properly listed.

Reactions: kiddan