Criss' Thread

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Question... Criss/Saber, where exactly did you get the idea that Scavengers shouldn't have turrets? I can understand for the small ships, but for things cruiser-sized and above, if anything the Scavengers should have the biggest turrets of them all... (think a single gigantic swivelling gun on one side of a ship)

If the Scavs can build, (re)program, and fly spaceships, even if they're all made of existing parts that have been modified, surely they are good enough with technology to stick a gun on a pair of servos and program it to aim and shoot at stuff.

If you figure out how to take partially-wrecked cars, get salvageable pieces, and put them together to make something that runs (even if it conks out every few miles or blows a gasket half an hour after you start it) then you must know quite a lot about how cars work.

Also, even the tiny scrapyard needs some form of defense.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Question... Criss/Saber, where exactly did you get the idea that Scavengers shouldn't have turrets? I can understand for the small ships, but for things cruiser-sized and above, if anything the Scavengers should have the biggest turrets of them all... (think a single gigantic swivelling gun on one side of a ship)

If the Scavs can build, (re)program, and fly spaceships, even if they're all made of existing parts that have been modified, surely they are good enough with technology to stick a gun on a pair of servos and program it to aim and shoot at stuff.

Also, even the tiny scrapyard needs some form of defense.
    I completely disagree. Stealing a turret and putting it on a ship would make sense. But the skill and knowledge to take a weapon system, put it on mechanism that allows you to track and accurately target/hit a enemy up to a kilometer away while also moving sounds pretty complicated.

As for their ships, we already planned on putting them on medium sized ships and above, but certainly not the small vessels. It will be very limited and I would prefer if they used AMS the least of the three factions we have.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Refueling Station Original Left

Refueling Station Refit Right

Like the white but the newer one has much better tanks.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Refueling Station Original Left

Refueling Station Refit Right

Like the white but the newer one has much better tanks.
    Is this a new world? We shouldn't need anything other than the old stick shop to generate.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Is this a new world? We shouldn't need anything other than the old stick shop to generate.
    Yeah I made a new world to be full new.
    [doublepost=1482075147,1482073487][/doublepost]Soooo found this station

Was looking at it when this happened all on it's own

Laughed because that made no sense.

Then found this...

Fan Guns? WTF

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Okay. I can add more outputs on the frigate. The tg combat doctrine is big guns, not fast ones. It might now be the players first choice but i want their shots to be powerful, not quick. If you have suggestions with that in mond id like to hear it
    I just tried saving a flying TG Frigate batra190 from its fleet, but the game doesnt let me. Had to create the blueprint directory, find the ship in the files, then overwrite the contents with the NPC blueprints set, which is odd.

Also, there is an exposed computer block on the ship, next to the airlock on the batra 190 starmade-screenshot-0502.png really stands out IMO

this is the weapon outputs before I made my own version: starmade-screenshot-0504.png notice it fires 2 projectiles a second, and each one penetrates an apparent 31 times, However the last 2 dont have enough damage to kill a block each, so they kill 30 power capacitors in a line per shot. Per second, this will be up to 60 system blocks per second.

This is a little modified rig with identical size weapons, but 2 outputs. starmade-screenshot-0503.png Notice that splitting it into 2 has apparently "lost" you 9 penetrations, but, there are now 2 shells at once fired. It says on the stats it penetrates 22 times, but when fired it only does 21 penetrations, as the last one lacks damage to kill the capacitor target.
    with 2 shells firing for 21 blocks killed each, the system blocks killed per second is now 2(outputs)x2(shells per second)x21(blocks killed per shell) = 84. this is 24 more blocks killed per second without changing any of the effects or slave amount. a gain of about 30%

The same goes for your TG railguns Cannon-beam-explosive. Making those 2 outputs into 4 outputs will increase their block damage BUT! do NOT have them within 1 block of eachother, Otherwise their explosive AoE will interact with the same point. As you can see here, the explosive effect is "wasting" one of the destroyed blocks from their little + shape with each explosion, etc. starmade-screenshot-0505.png Therefore its best to offset them by 2 blocks, or put them at a 1 block diagonal (Imagine shifting the penetration pattern of the image above over to the left/right by 1) and you can destroy a few more blocks with each set of shells fired.

To use up some additional power, you may want to have some tiny. And I mean tiny cannon-cannon-Overdrive secondary cannons, no more than maybe 200 modules total for 100% overdrive to use up 150k power, but that is up to you when you refit the ship, etc.
    [doublepost=1482075880,1482075784][/doublepost]
    Yeah I made a new world to be full new.
    [doublepost=1482075147,1482073487][/doublepost]Soooo found this station

Was looking at it when this happened all on it's own

Laughed because that made no sense.

Then found this...

Fan Guns? WTF
    Skylord taking it to a new level, This time instead of the floor-fan, the Dakka fan strikes back for us laughing at its floor brethren

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Thadius Faran You are right those shouldn't be there. It might take a while to update that asset. Also the turrets on that station do not match the others at all. Not sure how to handle that, since they suit that station very well. But I need it to match. Also I will be lowering the warhead count on their tanks about 50%

exposed computer block on the ship,
    Intended to be there. Just a detail and if it isn't there then I get empty walls on either side of the ship. I don't see a problem with that specifically.

Therefore its best to offset them by 2 blocks
    I'm not sure I want this to happen. I assume you tested this with 2 barrels because the third is dedicated to another cannon. Either I change the spacing for them and get rid of the third barrel or keep it as is and put the second cannon system in-between. I think the latter would be the best option. I also planned on placing the large cannon behind the quicker one in order to use all three barrels for that one gun instead of the two you are suggesting.

Exactly how much damage is needed to destroy a block with default values.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    arhead count on their tanks about 50%
    Use Auxiliary. They can't be triggered by touch through collision issues (Fairly certain a TG ship rammed through causing the reaction)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Use Auxiliary. They can't be triggered by touch through collision issues (Fairly certain a TG ship rammed through causing the reaction)
    I suppose I could. Not sure they would really "pop" with the same effect though. Maybe they will. They seem to have a larger radius, even in small quantities.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I suppose I could. Not sure they would really "pop" with the same effect though. Maybe they will. They seem to have a larger radius, even in small quantities.
    Yeh it's the better choice I just rammed a fuel tank at 50m and triggered it.
    [doublepost=1482077244,1482076935][/doublepost]

This station's display modules are all blank.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Could you try loading in a new copy? Or multiple? There is no reason they should be blank like that.
    Alright seeing as how the TG home system is mostly Vaults yes you're right the others do have their data.

Might be missing their display data on that specific one because for some reason they are using it as their HB instead of the giant red plain others have. >_>

Have I been sekritly given a dev build? o_O

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm not sure I want this to happen. I assume you tested this with 2 barrels because the third is dedicated to another cannon. Either I change the spacing for them and get rid of the third barrel or keep it as is and put the second cannon system in-between. I think the latter would be the best option. I also planned on placing the large cannon behind the quicker one in order to use all three barrels for that one gun instead of the two you are suggesting.
    I tested with just 2, because I havent got a load of time dedicated to fixing other people's stuff and documenting it thoroughly.
    The part about the explosion interfering is nit-picky, just making you aware of it. It redeems itself a little later on when the shell is running out of damage, the explosion destroys a few extra blocks, but only like 5 compared to the 20 lost to "air". However Versus armour its able to destroy standard armour blocks between the 2 outputs when the target still has AHP, which is quite good I guess since most ships are heavy on interior armour and the like.
    Making that into 3 barrels at the front may be the best easy fix, and then add the basica cannon-cannon-punch elsewhere

The power capacity is nominal for that alpha draw, doesnt need changing.

Exactly how much damage is needed to destroy a block with default values.
    For decorative blocks it ranges from 5, 10, hp. Some are 50hp each.

For Systems blocks you have 3 target amounts of damage you want to do (Keeping in mind, Punch effect adds block damage, 20 damage + punch is like 28 damage - this applies to each penetration) these are: Power capacity, Reactors, Thrusters all have 25HP each and 100 SysHP. Its best to hide these blocks, and protect them as they are the weakest, and mass killing these blocks tanks the ships structure.

Shield capacitors, Rechargers Jump Drive/Inhib, and any effect all have 75 HP. Shields have only 25 SYSTEM HP, and effects 50 SysHP. Whenever possible, use shield caps and rechargers to pad out a ship, and the nsoe of the ship when it begins to take system damage not deduct huge amounts of HP, making you last just a bit longer. Padding out is especially effective VS Smaller missiles on top of existing armour.

and finally weapon blocks, Missiles, Cannons, Beams and Pulse all have 100 HP and 100 SysHP. They last the longest, but can really damage a ships combat potential as they are destroyed as having 10 outputs make a weapon draw TWICE their default power amount, 20 draws THRICE the power, etc. (This is bypassed by using multiple weapon computers. This is pretty much mandatory to make Damage beams USEFUL AT ALL FOR KILLING BLOCKS as well as just default cannons are)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Reacting from your tweet asking for suggestion for the fleets. Yes ideas but somewhen you guys need to fix the game and ai to make all this stuff work. Besides that you made it pretty clear that you are not loooking for performance...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    In the midst of all the suggestions. Here's another ship showcase. By now you will be seeing these ships in the game, but it's always nice to release some more information.

Right before the update we were asked to create a Scavenger Scavenging vessel. Scavenger ships (the role) are sent to the sites of recent battles to reclaim the wrecks. This will hopefully be the primary means of Scavenger industry. That said, it will likely be a slow process for them. That's fine. We might have other Scavenger groups to claim other regions of space, as we did while testing.

Anyway, here is the Kama. Their first scavenging ship. It is very small, and we will certainly be creating another ship in the small category to give them a boost.

The ship is a number of different parts strapped together horizontally. The cargo storage is found on the opposite end of the ship as the salvaging array. Quite an inefficient design when funneling resources into your storage systems :) . The engines feature a prominent design style that the Scavengers have used on other vessels.

That's it for this post, there's not much to this little ship. Thanks for reading!

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    A frigate sized salvage vessel perhaps? One that is like a small mobile defense platform and scavenging platform?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've noticed that some of your blueprints have ghost links that cause some of the slaved weapon systems to be listed twice in the weapons menu. Such as this on the Mantlet. This may or may not confuse the AI using the ships in the future.

mantlet.jpg

I originally created the (now hidden) phab ticket for how this is caused. I know of two ways to remove it.

Option 1:
    1. press up to highlight the ship core and find the ghost-linked slave computer
    2. delete the slave computer and put in it's place the original computer that caused the ghost link to begin with.
    3. delete the computer you just placed in step 2. (this will remove the previously permanent ghost link)
    4. you may now put down any computer you want without having a permanent ghost link to the ship core

Option 2:
    1. delete the logic file under the blueprint
    2. reload blueprint
    3. redo all logic
    4. re-save blueprint

I'm usually able to do option 1 if I catch it as it's created. It's just a matter of checking the core's logic links whenever you replace a computer system. But if it's something I don't notice until much later, I sometimes resort to option 2.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I've noticed that some of your blueprints have ghost links that cause some of the slaved weapon systems to be listed twice in the weapons menu. Such as this on the Mantlet. This may or may not confuse the AI using the ships in the future.

View attachment 35910

I originally created the (now hidden) phab ticket for how this is caused. I know of two ways to remove it.

Option 1:
    1. press up to highlight the ship core and find the ghost-linked slave computer
    2. delete the slave computer and put in it's place the original computer that caused the ghost link to begin with.
    3. delete the computer you just placed in step 2. (this will remove the previously permanent ghost link)
    4. you may now put down any computer you want without having a permanent ghost link to the ship core

Option 2:
    1. delete the logic file under the blueprint
    2. reload blueprint
    3. redo all logic
    4. re-save blueprint

I'm usually able to do option 1 if I catch it as it's created. It's just a matter of checking the core's logic links whenever you replace a computer system. But if it's something I don't notice until much later, I sometimes resort to option 2.
    Thank you. I will check the ships for such links.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Thank you. I will check the ships for such links.
    While you're at it give the inner ship remotes names? Also the Transit has no rail basic on it's USD.

How2Board?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    While you're at it give the inner ship remotes names? Also the Transit has no rail basic on it's USD.

How2Board?
    That is intentional. We do not want every civilization using USD. That standardizes it too much for the lore we were going for. The Outcasts use a half USD. The Scavengers are lucky to get a docking ring at all.

The inner ship remotes definitely had names when saving the final versions. This notion that stuff that should be saved isn't being saved is quite annoying.

Reactions: SkylordLuke