CIR - Term 1

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    As the first person to bring this up, let me say that I don't give a flying frog's legs that Tom got in. I had already long accepted that he would. What happened was when the stats were released, we started poking around, and found that Tom had the lowest approval (what I call combined votes) of the council people, and then when looking through again, I saw the difference between his and Kep's.

Honestly, my bleh comes from Person A getting in despite having lower approval than Person B. If Tom wasn't in last place relative to everyone else, I would have used the name that was last, because that is where what I was talking about is most obvious. In hindsight, I should have used less Names in my posts.
    I don't really care either. It's a good thing that MF gets representation - at least we have one big server owner in office.

STV doesn't protect against minority voters getting representation, which in my mind is a good thing, even if the popular vote says no. Personal approval has nothing to do with it, IMO

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In a Single-Choice system, the withdrawal would have had bad consequences, but here? NO

Perhaps peoples shouldn't get eliminated, but if they receive 2nd votes,
    reset the resolve-state to the point where they lost their own votes and get the 2nd votes.​

Then continue. If the resolving ends, no more actions to make, then eliminate bottom-up.

Reactions: Lecic and Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Council does not get a whole lot of influence over Schine. Saying it like you did implies that a council of mostly PvE'ers could influence the game into focusing on more PvE aspects, which they could not. They just have to represent the views of the community, "How X should be done to satisfy the most people" is the question I expect the council to be faced with most. Schine wants to know what people want, and if the council ends up ignoring a certain part there are many very vocal people here that can kick up a storm to get the attention of Schine itself.

To put it bluntly, The council should not get any control over Schine's priorities, they can give proper feedback that might alter their choice of feature to focus on, but such an effect would probably involve a public discussion between the Council and Community as well. There is not so much a need for people who support pvp or pve, as it is a need to have people who understand the desires for them.
    I can see how you could interpret my post that way, but that isn't really what I meant. I should perhaps have emphasised vocalisation more. I'm not expecting the Council to have direct control over Schine's priorities, hence my previous agreement with EetherEel that the Council has no real power. What I meant is that in terms of passing on community feedback it is beneficial if the councilors understand the concerns that the community is passing on to them, as you said yourself. If you are getting into the details of particular things that irk PvP players, or PvE players, or creative builders, etc and trying to pass those on to the developers then it is obviously going to be easiest to understand and articulate those concerns if you are one yourself, or at least have strong links to that part of the community base.

I understand why you are lumping all of the voter preferences someone got together as 'approval', I'm just trying to point out why it doesn't work that way.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I think you guys need to trust yourselves, and the people you put in those council seats. I really don't see why you would vote if you didn't.

Reaction score
    Does anyone else feel that this voting system is needlessly complex for the purpose its being used for?

Either way, congrats to the winners. Hopefully you represent us well.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    No I quite like it actually. If your first pick doesn't make it, then your votes can get put towards your second pick. Everyone essentially votes for one candidate, and their vote is used so long as one of the five they ranked makes it.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I've added round statistics to the stats spoiler (thanks to kramerc for getting them).

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CLZ9a9FWiUFjlnxYlcg5t2RFo_YNlrckzEyov8eDeFs/edit?usp=sharing

The quota was 57 (votes) and each row represents a round. Documentation on our voting system and better statistics will be one of our large goals, hopefully ready before the next election in 3 months. This council is really our major testing round, the next elections we aim to broadcast to the entire active (and maybe not so active) StarMade population. We've got a few ideas on how to get more people involved, on top of targeting Steam, Reddit and foreign communities.

When we develop systems for more and better statistics, this thread will be updated and I will post like I have done so here. I'm aiming for a system where you can click on a name and see who their votes came from (if they won), or who they went to. Documentation on the voting process will be beneficial, so those of you who really understand how the systems work can point out any potential problems or mistakes.

I'm confident that it will be easier to understand how voting works and how certain members were elected as we learn from your responses here and create systems and documentation that helps to decrease misunderstanding and confusion.

Reaction score
    whats wrong with just having a straight up vote? AMERICAN PERSON! XD
    we're both american and know what you mean. but the way they did this is the most fair possible way. you only get one possible vote, but it can go to any of 5 people, as long as one of those 5 has enough votes overall to be one of the chosen ones. put it like this: you have obama and mccain running against each other, you vote for clinton, but shes got nowhere near enough votes to even be in second. wouldnt you rather your vote then go to your preferred candidate of either obama or mccain in that case? thats what this system does

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I've added round statistics to the stats spoiler (thanks to kramerc for getting them).

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CLZ9a9FWiUFjlnxYlcg5t2RFo_YNlrckzEyov8eDeFs/edit?usp=sharing

The quota was 57 (votes) and each row represents a round. Documentation on our voting system and better statistics will be one of our large goals, hopefully ready before the next election in 3 months. This council is really our major testing round, the next elections we aim to broadcast to the entire active (and maybe not so active) StarMade population. We've got a few ideas on how to get more people involved, on top of targeting Steam, Reddit and foreign communities.

When we develop systems for more and better statistics, this thread will be updated and I will post like I have done so here. I'm aiming for a system where you can click on a name and see who their votes came from (if they won), or who they went to. Documentation on the voting process will be beneficial, so those of you who really understand how the systems work can point out any potential problems or mistakes.

I'm confident that it will be easier to understand how voting works and how certain members were elected as we learn from your responses here and create systems and documentation that helps to decrease misunderstanding and confusion.
    Why are there only 3 rounds? Shouldn't there be 5?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm slightly confused about what the 'round statistics' are supposed to be showing. The total number of votes in row 1 is 453, the total in row 2 is 892 and the total in row 3 is 1091, and everyone seems only to be gaining votes. I wondered whether perhaps row 1 was the 1st choices, row 2 was the total of 1st and 2nd choices and row 3 was the number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices, but there should then be 5 rows, and if there are 453 1st choices there should be 906 1st and 2nd choices. They also don't seem to match up with the original stats.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Why are there only 3 rounds? Shouldn't there be 5?
    Technically, it should be 41 rounds (48 candidates - 7 seats = 41 iterations, as only 1 candidate can be eliminated per iteration)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430251894,1430250891][/DOUBLEPOST]Important Notice: Apparently an error occurred during the latest calculation of the statistics, duke is recalculating them currently. Thanks to everyone for pointing out the flaw.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I wondered whether perhaps row 1 was the 1st choices, row 2 was the total of 1st and 2nd choices and row 3 was the number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices
    That wouldn't even be the case, Tomino had around 3% with just first votes, but according to the Rounds spreadsheet thing, he somehow had 57 votes (enough to automatically get in) on the first round.

I assumed it was showing the possible turnouts in some way, as in votes being transferred, but no one being knocked out (Perhaps relating to my concerns over luck with order of elimination), but I can't seem to make sense of it, especially with that part of the first round.

Maybe the STV system was run 3 times, and each time showing the end results for each person based on when they were eliminated? Votes are lost if there is no one to transfer them to, so that might be why things don't add up as a simple multiple? I dunno.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    We've recalculated the percentages, it looks like the first preference percentages we originally gave out were incorrect. These new percentages *should be right.

The original post has been updated with the new percentages, you can still see the incorrect ones for comparison. I'm taking a look at the round statistics and I'm not really sure what's happening there. So, the best thing to do I think, is to recalculate the results and see what really is happening. Once that's done, the statistics will be updated and formatted to be understandable.

I'm aiming for a system where you can click on a name and see who their votes came from (if they won), or who they went to.
    If this is added, we shouldn't be coming across these problems with stats.

In the next few weeks and days even, the stats will improve and by the next one it should be clear enough what actually happened or how it will happen.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

These stats were correct right?

Attachments