CIR - Term 1

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What? I'm not even on the ballot. Dalmont and skylord are no longer playing on MF. They haven't been for a while. Tomino is the only MF player here.
    I meant Tom, Dal, and Sky, not you. :P

...Regardless, I didn't realize that.

Reactions: Criss

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Congratz and good luck to the the ones that made it, I hope that works out well; and a big thank you to everyone who voted and trusted me.

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I would believe this EXCEPT; tomino lost in every category compared to keptick. Something doesn't make sense here.

It has been explained via skype that it is indeed an unfortunate quirk in the voting system and the way the math turns out
    You should not need a explanation, it should not have been complicated. Those who have the most votes wins right. At least that is how I hoped and assumed it was going to work. Keptick clearly won against tom, in every group. But still lost?? By the first ranking group alone, he had more than one percent. This was meant to be a simple vote for a council. Why is it so hard to pick those who have the most votes? The fact that many here question this result makes you think that.. hmm maybe something isn't adding up. Something should be done.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430139540,1430139338][/DOUBLEPOST]
    As the table within the spoiler is not in a very readable format, have a plot detailing the votes. The candidates are sorted by how many 1st choice votes they recieved:
    Wow thanks mega. This proves my point. In fact, it makes me wonder why the top 7 players arnt the council members... it should be simple. Players should not be selected..

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, I don't recommend STV for further council terms. Keep it simple and let tactical voters screw themselves by not voting for their vote if they really want to. Everyone else can vote for one person to be in there as usual.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    May I propose something like this for future elections:
    1. People rank their choices from one to whatever
    2. First votes counts for: ( amount of votes for that person ) x ( total amount of people that could be voted for). Second would be ( votes ) x (total - 1), etc.
    3. The first so many people with the most voting points get onto the council.
    What this mean for this election, for example, is that if a person had 10 people list him/her as first choice, 20 as second, 15 as third, 60 as fourth, and 5 a fifth, he/she would get 10 x 5 + 20 x 4 + 15 x 3 + 60 x 2 + 5 x 1 = 300 voting points. Say he/she has 7th most total voting pints, he/she would be on the council.

I would also like to empasize 'something like this'. There probably is something way better out there, or not. Either way, this is how I think it could be done.

Reactions: CyberTao and Lecic

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm find of surprised about the election results. Some of the people that won didn't even have a Q&A, or a large Q&A. Seems people who won were the people who were really active on the forums.

Reaction score
    Congrats to the new council, I'm looking forward to what is going to happen/change.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'm find of surprised about the election results. Some of the people that won didn't even have a Q&A, or a large Q&A. Seems people who won were the people who were really active on the forums.
    The people who won were also the ones who advertised the most to their friends and followers.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    The system worked, and I hope they use it again next time. What they need to do though, is post a bar-graph when they announce it showing just the winners and there votes and transferable votes. That would squelch some of the complaining going on here.
    I like this method because it shows the demographics of our population: Keptick, a very active forum goer, was competing for the same slice of votes that people like Mega. But Keptick also is an impressive builder, and had to compete with delmont(he creates ships right?) and others for those votes.
    The results might be misleading, because while Keptick is undoubtedly popular, most of the people that voted for him had already voted for their other popular candidates. Tomino and Comrade had different pools to draw from, and they had less competition overall for votes.

I can only assume, that as elimination continued, Keptick stayed strong with his original pool of primary votes, but the secondaries and onward were all locked up and unable to be used, as people who voted for Keptick as a latter choice also voted for the winners as a primary choices.

Now, if using the animal videos as an example, and the forum goers are all monkeys (the analogy is too perfect), the turtle (Youtube) supporters would cry foul that their voices were unheard and unfortunately for Keptick the Silver-back, he was eliminated due to voter pools and demographics.
    Which I view as fascinating, and want to see more data to learn more. Like, the average person to vote for X also voted for Y and Z as secondaries or something.

Reactions: Criss and Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I wouldn't mind knowing how many votes there was in total for each candidates if its possible...

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I wouldn't mind knowing how many votes there was in total for each candidates if its possible...
    As the table within the spoiler is not in a very readable format, have a plot detailing the votes. The candidates are sorted by how many 1st choice votes they recieved:
    You had a lot of primary and secondary votes, but that was it. Sorry.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think we need less people on the ballot, and a TOTAL VOTES voting system. None of this 1st 2nd 3rd crap. Because if you notice, Skylord won over Dalmont by just over 3%. Thats crazy amount.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    i can promise you, this system is fair. Tom likely got 100% of the votes that originally went to me, and there's a few others that likely had their votes transferred to Tom as well. Keptic's 2nd and 3rd vote folks probably had skylord or dalmont as their first choice.

If you had your way and did it according to simple raw numbers without using the algorithm, you'd have people who had 2 or 3 votes, while other's votes wouldn't be counted at all.

in this STV method, everyone's votes are counted ONCE.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i can promise you, this system is fair. Tom likely got 100% of the votes that originally went to me, and there's a few others that likely had their votes transferred to Tom as well. Keptic's 2nd and 3rd vote folks probably had skylord or dalmont as their first choice.

If you had your way and did it according to simple raw numbers without using the algorithm, you'd have people who had 2 or 3 votes, while other's votes wouldn't be counted at all.

in this STV method, everyone's votes are counted ONCE.
    Honestly, i would rather have that happen, than this algorithm crap

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Honestly, i would rather have that happen, than this algorithm crap
    So you'd rather have 3 votes for yourself, while the majority of the SM population got no say at all?

Listen, I know it's confusing, but the system works.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430157029,1430156844][/DOUBLEPOST]They shouldn't have shown the stats they did, they should have shown where all the actual votes actually wound up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So you'd rather have 3 votes for yourself, while the majority of the SM population got no say at all?

Listen, I know it's confusing, but the system works.
    whats wrong with just having a straight up vote? AMERICAN PERSON! XD

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    whats wrong with just having a straight up vote? AMERICAN PERSON! XD
    watch the video and you'll see whats wrong. It's becoming clear you didn't watch the video.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430157234,1430157118][/DOUBLEPOST]

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    idiotplaysgames
    let's use american voting as an example,
    Most people want their vote to count, so most of them are going to vote for someone who they think has a chance.

Lets say 38% of them want to vote for a 3rd party candidate, 28% want a republican, and 34% want a democrat.
    25% of people don't think a third part candidate has a chance, because historically that's been the case, so 14 % vote for the Republican instead, and 11% vote for the democrat instead. What you have is

42% republican, 43% democrat, and 13% 3rd party.

If they used STV, the third party would have won because people could simply put the other candidate down as their 2nd choice if the first choice didn't win.

STV would be more fair in American politics too, but because people believe that a 3rd party candidate has no chance, we're stuck with more and more extreme candidates on both side of the aisle, rather than someone in the middle who likely represents everyone.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430157866,1430157829][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No, i watched it. I just don't agree with it.
    Hopefully you are in the minority.

Reactions: DraconisDomini