Can't start the game (some weird Java problem)

Reaction score
    I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out the problem. The old starter won't start the game, the new launcher won't even load. From what I have learned from the forums, it seems most likely a Java problem.

The game used to run fine, but I did recently install a new game and, in the process, was told to update Java. I suspect that is where my troubles started.

I uninstalled, reinstalled... Java and Starmade... several times.

I just ran the StarMadeChecker, and it says I have an old version of Java, even though I know it's the latest. This is something that regular uninstalling and reinstalling hasn't fixed.

Suggestions?

Here is the log from SMChecker:

Starmade System Checker Report
    Thu 11/02/2017
    9:51:26.90

RESULTS:
    Windows version: Windows 10 64-bit ....PASS
    Processor: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 10240MB RAM
    Graphics Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6450 ....PASS
    Java version: "64 bit Java 6 (or below)" ....FAIL​

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Java version: "64 bit Java 6 (or below)" ....FAIL
    Java 6 used to update itself by adding new versions to the existing Java installation. It did not delete the version of Java that was being updated. This was a horrible security oversight. Since now people could get hacked true these previous Java installations. Many fell victim to ransom software in this manner.

Go to your Windows Configuration Screen. Select the installed Programs list and uninstall every single Java version you see. Especially the Java 6 versions!

Then restart your computer.

StarMade has its own bundled version of Java. If you use the new StarMade Launcher then you can make use of this. Look under the cogwheel labeled options at the top right of the Launcher. That way you do not have to have Java installed on your system unless you also have other uses for it.

Should you choose to install Java any way then make sure you get the 64bit version.

Manually download Java here.

Reaction score
    I'm not familiar with SMChecker, but the output seems to indicate that it couldn't find any Java version, six or below; that may mean it didn't look for Java versions 7, 8, or 9, or that it didn't find one of them either.
    I have no idea why anybody would even go looking for a Java version six or below, but as I said, not familiar with the tool. Where does it even come from?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Where does it even come from?
    DIAGNOSTIC TOOL -- Starmade System Checker

It is in the sticky thread list of the Support Forum.

but the output seems to indicate that it couldn't find any Java version, six or below; that may mean it didn't look for Java versions 7, 8, or 9, or that it didn't find one of them either.
    It did find Java a 64bit version even. but it was an old version of Java 6 or lower. StarMade does not run on Java 6 or below.

Java version: "64 bit Java 6 (or below)" ....FAIL
    Which version if any of Java is installed on this Computer: output 64 bit Java 6 (or below) result FAIL

A FAIL on any of the questions made by the tool means StarMade wil not run.

That said the tool is a bit old now. The last update was mid 2016.

Reaction score
    Go to your Windows Configuration Screen. Select the installed Programs list and uninstall every single Java version you see. Especially the Java 6 versions!

Then restart your computer.
    Thanks for the help!

I've uninstalled this way and reinstalled a few times. I just uninstalled and restarted as you suggested without reinstalling and tried to use the new launcher again. It still won't launch. I click on it and nothing seems to happen.

The Starmade checker still says I have an old version of Java. But, if I try to run a .jar file, it acts like I don't have java at all (which is what I'd expect.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The Starmade checker still says I have an old version of Java. But, if I try to run a .jar file, it acts like I don't have java at all (which is what I'd expect.)
    In my case on Windows 7 I get a warning that the New Launcher is from an unknown publisher and has no digital signature. It is possible that Windows has been setup to refuse to run software without this. The option is controlled from your Windows Internet Options screen.

A special version of Windows 10 called Anniversary had this turned on by default. It is explained here.

It should now run. I hope :whistle:

The New Launcher does not need to have Java installed in order to run.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    The starmade system checker is not fully required anymore, it is more an indication.

Running the new launcher will use the shipped java and thus make sure a compatible version is used.

Please download and extract the new launcher (from download above) to a new separate directory.
    C:\Starmade for example.

Now execute the starmade-launcher.exe and follow the instructions to set up an installation.
    This should ideally lead to a properly launching game.
    If not, please upload the logstarmade.0.log from your starmade/logs directory, we can look into the exact error then.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Please download and extract the new launcher (from download above) to a new separate directory.
    C:\Starmade for example.
    I've done that a few times, actually. And I do currently have it extracted to C:\Starmade

Here is what it looks like:

upload_2017-11-2_17-4-16.png

Now execute the starmade-launcher.exe and follow the instructions to set up an installation.
    This should ideally lead to a properly launching game.
    If not, please upload the logstarmade.0.log from your starmade/logs directory, we can look into the exact error then.

- Andy
    When I double click, or right click and try to run the starmade-launcher, nothing happens. It's like it didn't even recognize that a command was given. I did notice, though, that the launcher.txt file is updated with this:

Thu Nov 02 2017 17:00:40 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
    Logging level: normal (0)​

I've been looking around to find information about not being able to run .exe files generally, and haven't yet found anything useful. Nothing seems to show up in the event log, permissions seem ok (I can "run" it as administrator, but nothing happens), and I've tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and 8. Still nothing.

This is not happening with any other .exe file, so it makes me think something weird is specifically happening with this. Maybe steam... I will try uninstalling steam altogether. I had issues with the launcher when I installed it from steam. I uninstalled the app, but still have steam installed.

Reaction score
    Well, I uninstalled Steam and restarted. It still doesn't work but it is doing something different. Instead of doing nothing at all, I get the window that says: "Do you want to let this unknown publisher make changes to your computer?" I click "Yes," then it does nothing. I tried different compatibility modes, and still nothing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, I uninstalled Steam and restarted.
    I do not think it is a Steam problem. Java seems unlikely to at this stage. The launcher flat out refuses to run for you. Look at my post above the one AndyP made. Something on your computer terminates the launchers process. It could be a security setting for the missing digital signature or even some anti virus that red flags the launcher.

logstarmade.0.log
    AndyP would like this log file from you. But that maybe hard since the launcher has to download that core part of the game first. Right now all you have is a none working StarMade Launcher.

In your C:\STARMADE\starmade-launcher-win32-x64\ folder find the file launcher.log and add it to a forum post via the Upload a File option.

This is probably the only log file you can show us right now. But anything is better then nothing.

As a work a round try to use the StarMade Starter. This is the old way to load the game but it still works with the current StarMade version. To get the StarMade Starter use the grey download button in the download section. Note that the StarMade Starter NEEDS to have Java installed on your system as it to is a Java program. I listed where to download the latest 64bit Java in a previous post.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    That file might be empty too.

please ad the --verbose option to a links properties of the starmade launcher and start with that to produce a more meaning full launcher log.
    looks like this on win 7 (no clue what it looks like on win10 and in english)
    Screenshot_3.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Thank you, everyone, for your assistance. I did get the problem resolved, but it was by doing a fresh install of Windows. I used to do that every year or two, and it had been about four years, so it was way overdue anyway.

I had looked into all the security settings, to no avail. It had to have been something seriously screwed up in my config files somewhere. I remember having trouble with the new launcher about a year ago after I installed it from Steam. Rather than try to figure out the problem, I just switched back to the old starter and that worked... until it didn't. So, it was some problems long-residing on my system.

But, it's all good now.

Reactions: Batavium