Cannon Turret Visual Enhancement

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Alright, so this is my first time actually posting a suggestion and I apologize if this has been suggested before. I'm heading to work soon so I really don't have time to search the forums.

So I've been watching a lot of 'From the Depths' lets-plays and I noticed that the cannons in that game have a visible recoil effect where the barrel slides back with each shot and goes back to the default position after the shot. I think that this would look awesome in StarMade.

Yes, I know that the way that many people design cannons these days is in a huge blob of cannon blocks. FtD resolved that by having you construct the barrel which sticks out, and the actual systems inside the turret. That is one option but it would be adding another block to the game which could be used for other stuff. Another possible way to do it would be to dynamically detect which cannon blocks are sticking out of the ship, maybe detect which ones don't have something covering four sides of it. I'll leave that up to you guys and the devs to figure out.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Alright, so this is my first time actually posting a suggestion and I apologize if this has been suggested before. I'm heading to work soon so I really don't have time to search the forums.

So I've been watching a lot of 'From the Depths' lets-plays and I noticed that the cannons in that game have a visible recoil effect where the barrel slides back with each shot and goes back to the default position after the shot. I think that this would look awesome in StarMade.

Yes, I know that the way that many people design cannons these days is in a huge blob of cannon blocks. FtD resolved that by having you construct the barrel which sticks out, and the actual systems inside the turret. That is one option but it would be adding another block to the game which could be used for other stuff. Another possible way to do it would be to dynamically detect which cannon blocks are sticking out of the ship, maybe detect which ones don't have something covering four sides of it. I'll leave that up to you guys and the devs to figure out.
    If weapons activated adjacent activation blocks when they fired, you could probably use rails to implement something like this. Rail speed might be too slow, though.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah I thought of rails when I posted the idea. I have yet to fully experiment with them, but from what i've heard, they can only be sped up so much.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The rail activation method should work on non cannon secondary systems. High damage cannons and such. Definitely worth looking into.

Reaction score
    WHat IF:

cannon barrel blocks shift slightly backwards if fired and shift back in original position while reloading?
    just the visible blcok, the collision box would remain in original position, as that would be recource friendly and not resume in massive lagging if to much cannons are fired at a server