BUILD CHALLENGE: Torpedoes, launchers, magazines!

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    HERE'S MY FIRST BUILD CHALLENGE IDEA, FOLKS!

Since warhead torpedoes are a very popular actual topic right now, I guess it's time to whip out your designs and amaze each other!

So, the challenge is as follows:

1. Build self-propelled warhead torpedoes! Extra credit for guidance system and protection against stray shots! Box dimension limits: 3x3x10 blocks.
    2. Build a launcher system to securely launch the torpedoes from your ship using an inner ship remote, without risking them colliding with the launching vessel. Extra credit for launchers that allow the main ship to maneuver during launch sequence!
    3. Build a torpedo magazine to store multiple torpedoes and reload the launcher after each shot. Extra credits if you manage to build a full system that does the fire-reload-chamber next round sequence in one (or two, as inner ship remotes are toggle logic) click!
    And finally, while individual torpedo damage does matter, the main goal should be to make the whole system as compact and as safe as possible.

So, if you're interested, and want to show off how epic you are with practical logic builds, here's your great opportunity!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'll just wait for the update containing inter-rail movement.
    have an idea that combines a minigun and a tank hatch.
    it would be a ship with torpedoes as main damage source

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I have some ideas for this. I'll make them and maybe post them here.

Reaction score
    My design obviously does not fit requirements stated above (since it is too big), but I think it is still worth mentioning.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you MIRV torpedo Topol.

This torpedo is unique in a way that it scatters into 1 main torpedo and 32 bomblets when the signal is received from the control unit docked to the ship. I will write more detailed description on the forums later, just wanted to make sure I enter the history as the first person to post about functioning MIRV in starmade starmade-screenshot-0012.png starmade-screenshot-0015.png .

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My design obviously does not fit requirements stated above (since it is too big), but I think it is still worth mentioning.

This torpedo is unique in a way that it scatters into 1 main torpedo and 32 bomblets when the signal is received from the control unit docked to the ship. I will write more detailed description on the forums later, just wanted to make sure I enter the history as the first person to post about functioning MIRV in starmadeView attachment 16150 View attachment 16151 .
    That thing looks absolutely nasty! I love it!
    (How about you put a timer on it too, in case it gets too far from the ship to detect the signal? Would it make it too big?)

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That thing looks absolutely nasty! I love it!
    (How about you put a timer on it too, in case it gets too far from the ship to detect the signal? Would it make it too big?)
    Part of the fun of wireless logic is that you will never be too far from something to activate it unless it's unloaded, and if it's unloaded, the timer wouldn't work either.

Reaction score
    It is possible to use coprime clocks to make it size efficient, but i prefer docked control unit because you can adjust the distance before the torpedo "mirvs", as well as use the control unit multiple times.
    As far as I understand the game mechanics, wireless logic will transmit the signal as long sector in which torpedo is is loaded. In case it is not loaded, torpedo will also stop, so there are no real advantages of putting timer on the torpedo itself. Again, I might be wrong about that, needs to be checked.

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    how dare you mention space engineers on this site!
    But seriously, both those ships look pretty cool. After I'm done with the ship I'm currently building, Ill have to see what kind of torpedo contraptions I can work up. My current ship build kinda correlates to this, so maybe I can use parts of that build for this project?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443121671,1443121187][/DOUBLEPOST]

This torpedo is unique in a way that it scatters into 1 main torpedo and 32 bomblets when the signal is received from the control unit docked to the ship. I will write more detailed description on the forums later, just wanted to make sure I enter the history as the first person to post about functioning MIRV in starmadeView attachment 16150 View attachment 16151 .
    How did you get 8 ships docked at 45 degrees to each other like that?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    how dare you mention space engineers on this site!
    But seriously, both those ships look pretty cool. After I'm done with the ship I'm currently building, Ill have to see what kind of torpedo contraptions I can work up. My current ship build kinda correlates to this, so maybe I can use parts of that build for this project?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443121671,1443121187][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How did you get 8 ships docked at 45 degrees to each other like that?
    Probably rail rotors.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Probably rail rotors.
    Ah, I see now (kinda). Still confused where he hid the logic for the propulsion on all those tiny missiles. If you would be ever so kind as to give us a download link, comrade?
    Also, on a side note, I might have the first magazine design uploaded tonight, unless someone else beats me to it :)

Reaction score
    Tiny bombs don't have logic nor propulsion. When mother-missile receives logic pulse, it undocks all of them and shuts down it's own propulsion. Because mother-missile is still moving due to inertia, bomblets collide with the wedges behind them, making them scatter around.

I will upload sment and give much more detailed explanation and gifs in another thread in a day or two. I still need to calibrate the control unit to make aiming much more accurate. I'll let you know when it's up, if that's ok.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    sweet! Thanks comrade, looking forward to deconstructing your ship. Sometime tonight I'll have my upload ready (hopefully) and I'll post a link to it here :)

Reaction score
    Actually I realized I might not be online for next few days, so I will upload missile itself without the control unit now. The missile should be stored in a container (my L sized container, used for transporting missiles now, will be able to carry cargo when it's updated) and it can be launched and triggered manually. There are two buttons on the top of the container, one in front launches it and the other one triggers it (or maybe other way, I forgot haha). I still have not found optimal distance before triggering, so feel free to experiment with it. Oh, cleaning up all the bobmblets that survive the impact is pretty frustrating. Have fun!

Keep in mind this is not finished product, just a proof of concept.
    Reverse engineering might be difficult because it is cramped, but my setup in the mother-missile is by no means optimized so I believe it can be improved. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to contact me here or via private message.

Attachments

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    thanks man! Ive been ramming warheads into ships on SP, and I noticed that the blast damage had been greatly reduced.. what the heck is up with that?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443138558,1443138525][/DOUBLEPOST]oh wait, I think the ship had shields.. testing.. yeah it seems so. I forgot about that lol Ill keep working at it :)
    UPDATE: ok so its not shields, I guess they got nerfed or something since the last time I messed with them.

Reaction score
    Damage of warheads did not get tweaked after recent update that changed mechanics of explosions. It should be fixed eventually. When they fix that, warheads will be viable weapon, since they ignore shields.

I believe my design is working as intended?

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Your ship works well, nice and easy activation. Wasn't expecting the logic to work quite as smooth as it did, kudos to you :)
    As a side note, its easy to clean up all the entities with this command, if in SP: /despawn_all IPBM unused true
    Here is what the code does, bit by bit:
    >/despawn_all IPBM unused true
    >"/despawn_all" just the command to despawn entities
    >"IPBM aka (entity name)" enough of the beginning of the entity name to only delete what you want to delete (case sensitive)
    >"unused/used/all" supposed to decide what ships of the same name to delete. But even though I tried all three settings, with me in the cockpit of one of the ships, or with AI enabled, all the ships got deleted all the time, not sure why. The guide says its the "mode"
    >"true/false" declares whether it is only ships you are deleting (true) or all entities with the given name (false)
    hid this in a spoiler in case you already knew this :p
    I am also in the process of making the first version of my torpedo launcher. My missiles cant do this like yours:
    But my design will start to incorporate the re loadable, wireless controlled magazine. As of right now, the functions I've been able to get working are:
    -basic firing logic
    And that's it.. lol. While I work on the logic it will be all laid out, but the finished product can be compact and inline with the mag. The big issue is that I need to stop the second missile from coming out into the chamber as the first is fired, as that might not be good for the ship firing it...
    I am going to be offline for the weekend as well, so it most likely won't be done until monday.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Totally going to make an entry for this, expect to see something in a few days unless I become extremely busy for some reason. :)
    I already have ideas for reloading I tested about a month ago... :cool:
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443199281,1443197533][/DOUBLEPOST]Uhoh, my Steam version of Star-Made seems to have an issue were disintegrators don't explode on impact... The heck?

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Finished my V1 of the torpedo magazine! All the logic is integrated into the device, and includes a safety, firing cycle, and torpedo staggering (making sure the missiles are spaced out). All that is needed to connect the magazine to a main ship is 2 wireless blocks. I didn't add the wireless blocks to this version because I wasn't sure where the interior would be to hook things up.

To add wireless logic blocks, merely connect them to the two exposed OR gates. the top one fires a single missile and the bottom one is the master switch for missiles going in/out of the mag. (makes the torpedoes go inwards or outwards. to load more missiles, make the magazine pull them inwards first.) To prep the missiles for firing, activate the delays on the missiles by double activating them.

If you have trouble using the ship due to faction issues, use the /faction_set_entity <faction ID> command to change the ship to your faction. your faction ID should be visible in the diplomacy tab under your faction, just select the ship with F and type that command into the chat. only works in SP or if you have admin permissions, btw (obviously lol).

The logic is pretty straight forward, and if you don't understand how it works but want to know then let me know :)
    Link to the community content post: http://starmadedock.net/content/torpedo-magazine.3415/
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443487526,1443487367][/DOUBLEPOST]
    My Steam version of Star-Made seems to have an issue were disintegrators don't explode on impact... The heck?
    I had this problem as well, but it was with two separate computers so I don't know what to tell you for sure.. All I can tell is that the max speed was different on the two computers. The working one was set to 200m/s and the non-working was set to 75m/s.

Reactions: kiddan

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Lol, just realized that my design doesn't even function properly, its got errors that I still need to fix o_O
    On another note, I'd like to propose something similar to the Universal Dock that mindlord0013 proposed quite a long time ago: the Standardized-Torpedo-REloading-SyStem, or S.T.R.E.S.S.(less) for short.

The STRESSless has to be able to dock a low profile torpedo magazine on a rail so it can be slid in and out for easy replacement. We also have to decide on a standard point to dock the magazines to the ship, and also a standard spot to access the wireless logic blocks. Preferably inside the confines of the ship for aesthetic and safety reasons. :p Bonus points if you find an easy way to add flair to a 12 x 5 square box, XD.

I've got no idea how to approach it, any suggestions?:)

Last edited: