BUILD CHALLENGE: Torpedoes, launchers, magazines!

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hell yeah! Now that is three dimensional thinking... I can't wait for the AI to smarten up a bit. Then I'll go all D.A.R.P.A. on this place. :D

I've got a new trick too. Remember my 16x torpedo launcher? I gave it the same anti-jam fail-safes as the 10-rounder. Due to logic glitches, it tends to hiccup between salvos but the anti-jam keeps it from blowing up. It's not perfect but it IS fun to see 4 torpedoes at a time go speeding off toward a distant target.

Also, I've constructed a new 25 round launcher with the exact same dimensions as the 16x as well as the auto anti-jam. It's kind of logic heavy and the feed system is ridiculous; it makes my head hurt when I look at it.:confused: Absolutely no space was wasted. I have one last thing to work out (prevent the unit from firing with the blast door closed) then this will be one of the smallest high capacity launchers around.
    I think all you need for a logical door is to have the doors V'ed to a NOT gate, and then that be V'ed to an OR gate. the OR gate needs to be active whenever anything is moving or any logic is active which is telling a torpedo to start heading outside. I'ven't (I have not) built it though, that's just what I remember from experience.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Actually I think I just did it. I created a logic interlock that uses an "AND" signal that will not let the warheads cycle unless the "Armed" switch has also been toggled. I'll need to do some armed testing soon.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The torpedo madness continues...

SR-SB1 (Dare Devil)

An ultra light deep space reconnaissance craft/stealth bomber.

Dimensions: 11m long, 11m wide, 6m tall, mass; 12.4.
    Equipment: 2 torpedoes, cloaking device, radar jammer. Both the cloak and jammer can be run continuously while moving.

Armed only with 2 torpedoes; this little guy can be used to sneak behind enemy lines, scout, grab intel, damage or destroy high value targets then fly back home.

Little Stealth Bomber.jpg

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Wow, I cant believe you built a cloak/jam ship to fit in such a small box dimension with so many power draining blocks! To quote something you said earlier in the thread, now THAT is some three dimensional thinking! I can honestly say I never considered using warheads on a cloaked ship. Brings back fond memories of the warhead bug of 2013(ish)... I'm referring to the series of glitches that plagued warheads, such as them not disappearing after after exploding on contact with another entity, or not disappearing if set off by logic. I remember several encounters with small cloaked ships continuously ramming me :confused:

Any who, nice build Dr. Whammy! Thanks for the fleet lineup link as well, you seem to have a knack for building ships!

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Wow, I cant believe you built a cloak/jam ship to fit in such a small box dimension with so many power draining blocks! To quote something you said earlier in the thread, now THAT is some three dimensional thinking! I can honestly say I never considered using warheads on a cloaked ship. Brings back fond memories of the warhead bug of 2013(ish)... I'm referring to the series of glitches that plagued warheads, such as them not disappearing after after exploding on contact with another entity, or not disappearing if set off by logic. I remember several encounters with small cloaked ships continuously ramming me :confused:

Any who, nice build Dr. Whammy! Thanks for the fleet lineup link as well, you seem to have a knack for building ships!
    Thanks Fellow Starmadian!

If you like that. I have another stealth goody for you...

This one is fully stable as well. It also has 2 separate 40/0 Beam-Missile arrays and a rudimentary warp drive in addition to the torpedoes.

Blue Raven.jpg

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Thanks Fellow Starmadian!

If you like that. I have another stealth goody for you...

This one is fully stable as well. It also has 2 separate 40/0 Beam-Missile arrays and a rudimentary warp drive in addition to the torpedoes.

View attachment 16569
    You might be able to hull them with circuits.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    what does that mean, hull it with circuits? do circuits not use power, or give power off of their own? I know there used to be a power hull or something a LONG time ago.. is it something like that?

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    what does that mean, hull it with circuits? do circuits not use power, or give power off of their own? I know there used to be a power hull or something a LONG time ago.. is it something like that?
    The charged and non-charged circuit blocks make a great aesthetic stand in for actual hull without effecting the ability of jamming or cloaking in any substantial manner.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The charged and non-charged circuit blocks make a great aesthetic stand in for actual hull without effecting the ability of jamming or cloaking in any substantial manner.
    0.01 mass? Sweet! Thanks Thadius Faran.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    oh, they take much less power than hull? Never realized that, although it does sound familiar.. something about blocks other than hull only using 5 energy a second or something. In any case, thanks! After my top secret logic project I've just committed to, Ill have to mess with aesthetic cloaking ships equipped with warhead torpedoes. Oh, I wonder if tracking torpedoes that are fired from your cloaked ship still mistake you for an enemy for a second like they usually do? maybe if they can't see you, they don't aim for you?

I would test it, but my logic project is calling to me.. I can't say anything much about it, but I just recently discovered a logic exploit that I plan on exploiting for perfectly valid reasons. Honestly it should be available for us to use anyway.

edit: gramar (lol)

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    0.01 mass? Sweet! Thanks Thadius Faran.
    Its first appearance was on an Atlas Cloaker that I sadly can't find the image to... Maybe an ex-Atlas member has the image's link.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    Motherboards weight 0.01 as well and look a bit more solid IMO.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm in the process of building a Star Axis style stealth torpedo cruiser. It would have been significantly larger but the 1 million e/s soft cap on power output has kind of wrecked that idea. I have to bolt some more weapons on to it, as well as a scanner but I'll post it when it's finished.

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Construction complete...

ASC Atlantis

Advanced prototype deep space strategic reconnaissance Starship.

Mass: 664
    Dimensions: Length 115m, Width 57m, Height 27m.
    Thrust to mass ratio 1.3:1
    Power grid: Capacity 568,499. Recharge 1,000,094 e/sec.
    Shields: Capacity 28,950. Recharge 121 e/sec.

Armament:
    - 4 Repeat fire cannons (4000DPS)
    - Heavy ion beam weapon: 200,000+ anti-shield
    - Warhead Launcher (will most likely switch out with a 25x launcher for mass reduction)
    - 2 Point defense turrets

Equipment:
    - Radar Jammer (stable)
    - Cloaking Device (stable)
    - Primary and secondary warp drives (can charge while cloaked, jamming and moving)
    Stealth Unit2.jpg

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    jesus, Dr. Whammy! Looks epic with the motherboard hull :)
    I've not been able to work with any torpedo designs lately, due to a large amount of college homework I have to get done for, well, tonight. I'll be computer-less for a few days, so I absolutely have to finish it, lol. I'm hoping I can have some torpedo ship competition for you by the end of next week, although I don't know if I'll be capable of topping that 'beaut, lol. I've also begun developing my Conway's Game of Life circuit more, with its own thread, which led to further torpedo R&D delays.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Holy shitballs, this thread is full of win.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I am really liking the idea of cloaked fighters unleashing warhead hell on the enemy. Do adjacent warheads stack? And what if it was redesigned to be a ship-board push system, to release a projectile at about 100 meters away. Oh, that might decloak the ship, nvm.

Do ships decloak when they undock these torpedoes, or just the torp's themselves? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I am really liking the idea of cloaked fighters unleashing warhead hell on the enemy. Do adjacent warheads stack? And what if it was redesigned to be a ship-board push system, to release a projectile at about 100 meters away. Oh, that might decloak the ship, nvm.

Do ships decloak when they undock these torpedoes, or just the torp's themselves? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ah, an inquiring mind... That's the best kind. ...after a 'lost' mind of course. To answer your questions;

1) Yes but only damage stacks, not blast radius.
    2) You can do this but it wouldn't be 100 meters; more like up to 4000 meters with something like this...
    3) Yes; a push beam throwing a warhead will decloak your ship.
    4) No; releasing a torpedo does not decloak your ship.

I'm going to equip the Atlantis with a repeat fire launcher. It will be either a 25x or my new lighter 15x (still in testing phase). I can only imagine how much damage a cloaked starship of that size with 15+ torpedoes can do to a station/planetary base/docked capital ship...

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    So the first 1-2 torpedoes of a burst should be larger to potentially get through advanced armor, and the rest don't need the extra damage to kill system blocks. Hmm I want to build something like this now.