Brainstorm mini-games

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Let's brainstorm about mini-games, anything you can come with.
    primary: Ways to let making mini-games easier on a wide range.
    secondary: more specific things concentrating on a certain mini-game (mode)

real brainstorm starts at my first post that doesn't say " . "

I had this idea, wouldn't it be awesome if players could design their game for astronaut mode? choose their game mode and adjust it to their vision? That's when I came to the idea of a game generator.

The game generator has multiple optional components, you can create multiple game modes with infinite setups modes like elimination, death match, team deathmatch, destroy the base and capture the flag.

component of the game generator:
    1. computer, the core module and interface of game generating
    2. spawn point, a spawn point made to temporarily spawn players that are in the game (unsets at end of game)
    3. flag post, the place a flag would be
    4. game block, a block breakable by the enemy team (re-appears when game is reset)
    5. goal, place to deliver the flag.
    6. register block, a block that allows players to join the game

all the components (except the computer) can be configured to be for a certain team (team blue red yellow and orange for example) this way the spawn point is set for only team blue etc.

you connect all modules to the computer, the computer will then show these components and stats (e.g. 2 red flags 3 blue spawn points) and it will also have options like: spawn lives, max players, game mode, hp of the game block, max point limit, max time limit, max hp of astronaut, gravity on/off and kick players.

for a player to join the battle, all he has to do is hit R on the register block and he will be put in the list, as soon as the game starts and he is still in the sector he will be put into a team and spawn at a spawn point.

possibilities with the generator:
    hunger games! may the odds be with you.
    halo without graphics
    team fortress
    or any other game you can connect to this lol
    you could even do dayz without the zombies :)

got suggestions to improve it? be sure to let me know!
    1. I had this idea, wouldn't it be awesome if players could design their game for astronaut mode? choose their game mode and adjust it to their vision? That's when I came to the idea of a game generator.

The game generator has multiple optional components, you can create multiple game modes with infinite setups modes like elimination, death match, team deathmatch, destroy the base and capture the flag.

component of the game generator:
      1. computer, the core module and interface of game generating
      2. spawn point, a spawn point made to temporarily spawn players that are in the game (unsets at end of game)
      3. flag post, the place a flag would be
      4. game block, a block breakable by the enemy team (re-appears when game is reset)
      5. goal, place to deliver the flag.
      6. register block, a block that allows players to join the game

all the components (except the computer) can be configured to be for a certain team (team blue red yellow and orange for example) this way the spawn point is set for only team blue etc.

you connect all modules to the computer, the computer will then show these components and stats (e.g. 2 red flags 3 blue spawn points) and it will also have options like: spawn lives, max players, game mode, hp of the game block, max point limit, max time limit, max hp of astronaut, gravity on/off and kick players.

for a player to join the battle, all he has to do is hit R on the register block and he will be put in the list, as soon as the game starts and he is still in the sector he will be put into a team and spawn at a spawn point.

possibilities with the generator:
      hunger games! may the odds be with you.
      halo without graphics
      team fortress
      or any other game you can connect to this lol
      you could even do dayz without the zombies :)

got suggestions to improve it? be sure to let me know!

Meet Starmade in new way. Check out this mod!

You guys are cute
      HolyCookie, Monday at 7:15 PM

2. Dire Venom
      Very nice!
      I thought alog these lines befor, but it typicaly ended up in hundreds of meters of logic circuts XD

Dire Venom, Monday at 7:22 PM

3. NeonSturm

Resetting blocks : shipyard.
      Flag block : 2 race gates. 1 at the flag, 1 at your base? perhaps a third after the spawn to invalidate the second.
      Spawn-point : spawn at one of many hubs and use a teleporter, unlocked by a wireless-logic password?

Perhaps the game needs a bit more, but I think a few things are already implemented and ready to be found by you.

4. Resetting blocks : shipyard.
      Flag block : 2 race gates. 1 at the flag, 1 at your base? perhaps a third after the spawn to invalidate the second.
      Spawn-point : spawn at one of many hubs and use a teleporter, unlocked by a wireless-logic password?

Perhaps the game needs a bit more, but I think a few things are already implemented and ready to be explored by you.
      yea right because I can register if team A is walking through the "flag" or team B, you'd just be able to get your own points with ease.
      you can't shoot down the guy "with the flag" nor can you pick up that gate or something, it would mean, get 1 guy at your gate and 1 at their gate ding ding ding infinite points.

spawn point would take too long or would not be flexible, spawn campers activated.

resetting blocks: I guess resetting a whole map could reset the blocks? but the teams can't break the blocks or they could break any block on the map.

no easy use for player and host

still no score counting in a legit way, especially with deathmatch.

you can't count a kill with logic stuff

that last sentence is just offending to me, most of my StarMade hours were playing and building with logic, the sentence feels like you talk to a noob that has only played 1 hour and then say there is still a lot ready to be explored by you. remember I made the first ground vehicle that moved without thrusters, I think I pretty much know every possibility of StarMade by now.....

You guys are cute
      HolyCookie, Tuesday at 5:54 PM

+ Quote Reply

5. Shadowed Draconian
      You have forgotten a block that can be set to create all manner of non-player characters, be they man or beast, friend or foe.

Shadowed Draconian, Tuesday at 6:10 PM

6. Aynslei

I really don't see what was so offensive about Neon Strum's post, I think you should just take what is said less personally.

"I think I pretty much know every possibility of StarMade by now"
      What would you say if I told you that I can use logic to count deaths?
      That a shipyard can be used to create entirely disposable arenas or replace parts on one.
      That a single admin command can make the base of a game area invulnerable, but nothing that is docked to it invulnerable.
      Capture the flag can already be done with drop on death, you just have to make sure each team has weapons to pick up after dying.
      Both undeathinators and factioned teleporter modules make great spawn points depending on what you want to do.

While I am not opposed to this suggestion, I do think that most of what was asked for can be done already.
      I would much rather ask for utility in the actual game, that allows mini-games to be born, than I would ask for utility solely for mini-games.
      (With the exception of specific admin tools like mob spawners)

Edit: I will say that Race Gate controllers MUST be able to output a logic signal when a racer passes them or they will remain nothing more than a glorified mini game.

AtraUnam for neat stuffs!
      ---
      Keptick : "There won't be any bitching on the forums or doxxing or shit, just blazzing cannons, hull melting beams and missiles racing towards their fiery end."
      Zyrr: "To prove that my edgelords are better than theirs"
      Last edited: Tuesday at 11:32 PM
      Aynslei, Tuesday at 11:21 PM

7. NeonSturm

1. yea right because I can register if team A is walking through the "flag" or team B, you'd just be able to get your own points with ease.

2. you can't shoot down the guy "with the flag" nor can you pick up that gate or something, it would mean, get 1 guy at your gate and 1 at their gate ding ding ding infinite points.

3. spawn point would take too long or would not be flexible, spawn campers activated.

4. resetting blocks: I guess resetting a whole map could reset the blocks? but the teams can't break the blocks or they could break any block on the map.
      5. no easy use for player and host

6. still no score counting in a legit way, especially with deathmatch.
      7. you can't count a kill with logic stuff

8. that last sentence is just offending to me, most of my StarMade hours were playing and building with logic, the sentence feels like you talk to a noob that has only played 1 hour and then say there is still a lot ready to be explored by you. remember I made the first ground vehicle that moved without thrusters, I think I pretty much know every possibility of StarMade by now.....
      8: wasn't meant that way. You can be pro and still miss a few things.
      But your answer sounds a bit arrogant :p *joking*

1: I think race gates are meant to count how 1 player is progressing.

2: You can put a race gate on a small ship (wireless logic) or not? The ship can then be picked up...
      Or just use a certain item like previously suggested or ship core with a logic block attached.

3: you can have multiple teleport-outs from your undeathinator.

6: You can count how often a player uses his teleporter and count this as his deaths.
      7: To count kills, deliver a block dropped on death to a nearby storage block. (everybody can get a different block)
      You can only use the TP after picking up your block. You need it to unlock the TP and as password to deliver kill-blocks to your account.

4: Aynslei said: That a shipyard can be used to create entirely disposable arenas or replace parts on one.
      5: what is easy?

GPL : Selling Free Software is OK!
      NeonSturm, Wednesday at 2:59 PM

8. HolyCookie

2: You can put a race gate on a small ship (wireless logic) or not? The ship can then be picked up...
      Or just use a certain item like previously suggested or ship core with a logic block attached.

6: You can count how often a player uses his teleporter and count this as his deaths.
      7: To count kills, deliver a block dropped on death to a nearby storage block. (everybody can get a different block)
      You can only use the TP after picking up your block. You need it to unlock the TP and as password to deliver kill-blocks to your account.

4: Aynslei said: That a shipyard can be used to create entirely disposable arenas or replace parts on one.
      1: okay kinda true, but then still, does it reset after kill? and you can't do a dropped flag thing and the whole team can have a flag at the same time.

2: tell me more about picking a ship up.... I am trying to get PVP astronaut mode a quick thing, how do you suppose to make an astronaut pick up a ship? and how wouldn't that be a huge shield for the "flag" carrier

3: sort of true, just not a fast spawning, i guess you could call that a respawn time.

6&7: eum not really getting this.... so a player would drop block (guess I can only play it in a server with drop on death on) and then you need the block to use the teleporter? I haven't done anything with teleporters yet, but does it inventory check then? like some sort of payment border cross? need some info about that.

4: isn't a shipyard broken once you place blocks inside the hanger (like you have a warp gate with an incorrect loop)?
      again, haven't really looked at this but just need to know.

5: wait.... is StarMade made to be difficult? I've been doing it all wrong :eek:

0.1: yea... my ego felt attacked so it attacked back with arrogance xD

I also just want something easy to use for once.
      1 more thing though, there is no possibility to show that players belong to team.... (except if every player changes skin or something) have any idea for that then?

You guys are cute
      HolyCookie, Wednesday at 5:17 PM

+ Quote Reply

9. NeonSturm

2: tell me more about picking a ship up.... I am trying to get PVP astronaut mode a quick thing, how do you suppose to make an astronaut pick up a ship? and how wouldn't that be a huge shield for the "flag" carrier

6&7: eum not really getting this.... so a player would drop block (guess I can only play it in a server with drop on death on) and then you need the block to use the teleporter? I haven't done anything with teleporters yet, but does it inventory check then? like some sort of payment border cross? need some info about that.
      2: In some games, the flag carrier can't use weapons and has a mini-map-spot painting him as priority target.
      With no thrusters this is barely faster than an astronaut. Perhaps a single gun to fire back if it is balanced vs astronauts.

6&7, you put your block into a set-public inventory, it checks if the right item is in it and unlocks what you want to use until you take it out.
      Or for one time (good if it is just one-way like a teleporter).
      The kill-counters would accept your block in one storage, the enemy block in the other (upper and lower maybe). If you exchange it, your kill is accounted to the enemy :(
      An option to only drop some types of blocks on death or to not drop others (black/white-listing) would help a lot here.
      So you can't access the enemy ID-chip, only his ID-tokens (like cannon/beam-computers+cannons/beams)

4: isn't a shipyard broken once you place blocks inside the hanger (like you have a warp gate with an incorrect loop)?

5: wait.... is StarMade made to be difficult? I've been doing it all wrong :eek:

1 more thing though, there is no possibility to show that players belong to team.... (except if every player changes skin or something) have any idea for that then?
      4: I guess shipyards are able to repair what is inside them.

5: Once somebody has figured it out it is not. But maybe what you want to do has a minimum complexity to it. Writing a 3D engine yourself is much harder tough

If players use different weapon colours (still randomized when you get them via commands?), you have a team-indicator. You can also use faction-names along player-names for it.

Would be very useful if a player could be in more than one faction and select himself which faction to show at any time.
      Or could control more than one characters which access similar inventories (also good if not all factions are online at the same time).

GPL : Selling Free Software is OK!
      NeonSturm, Wednesday at 7:08 PM

1. HolyCookie

2: In some games, the flag carrier can't use weapons and has a mini-map-spot painting him as priority target.
      With no thrusters this is barely faster than an astronaut. Perhaps a single gun to fire back if it is balanced vs astronauts.

6&7, you put your block into a set-public inventory, it checks if the right item is in it and unlocks what you want to use until you take it out.
      The kill-counters would accept your block in one storage, the enemy block in the other (upper and lower maybe). If you exchange it, your kill is accounted to the enemy :(
      An option to only drop some types of blocks on death or to not drop others (black/white-listing) would help a lot here.
      So you can't access the enemy ID-chip, only his ID-tokens (like cannon/beam-computers+cannons/beams)

5: Once somebody has figured it out it is not. But maybe what you want to do has a minimum complexity to it. Writing a 3D engine yourself is much harder tough

If players use different weapon colours (still randomized when you get them via commands?), you have a team-indicator. You can also use faction-names along player-names for it.

Would be very useful if a player could be in more than one faction and select himself which faction to show at any time.
      Or could control more than one characters which access similar inventories (also good if not all factions are online at the same time).
      okey seemingly you have an answer to every problem or almost every, and with that you messed up this suggetion.... :(

but hey now i can still do some pvp with some people, just need to build a ship yard make a map set up teleporters make some storage system change the config files to only drop a certain block and then build some kind of flag and then make sure there are 2 different kind of gun colours then get all players into 1 faction then get them to empty their inventory then then then....... have i mentioned i actually wanted this because i didn't want to host a match but play a match?

if you are able to get 10 people do that and wait for all that in a server you don't own...... I'll see you as a god-like being.
      admit, read all your own posts and then try to image making that work, with random people (forget the lack of people for this, it's already difficult enough)

You guys are cute
      HolyCookie, Thursday at 10:08 PM

+ Quote Reply

2. NeonSturm

admit, read all your own posts and then try to image making that work, with random people (forget the lack of people for this, it's already difficult enough)
      There are quite some games out there with the same problem, even if they spend their resources on that game, not a game inside their game.

SpringRTS-BA for example has on average 3-20 online players in their main host (Zero-K uses a different host)
      They develope the game since more than 10 years now.
      This game has a dedicated match-making and you still can't get players to join your game, not even for trial sometimes or in some hours a day.

Relax. Wait until there are more active players, wait for LUA-mod-support and a few scripts and then it might be a possibility.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Very nice!
    I thought alog these lines befor, but it typicaly ended up in hundreds of meters of logic circuts XD

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Perhaps the game needs a bit more, but I think a few things are already implemented and ready to be found by you.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You have forgotten a block that can be set to create all manner of non-player characters, be they man or beast, friend or foe.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3

Perhaps the game needs a bit more, but I think a few things are already implemented and ready to be explored by you.
    yea right because I can register if team A is walking through the "flag" or team B, you'd just be able to get your own points with ease.
    you can't shoot down the guy "with the flag" nor can you pick up that gate or something, it would mean, get 1 guy at your gate and 1 at their gate ding ding ding infinite points.

spawn point would take too long or would not be flexible, spawn campers activated.

resetting blocks: I guess resetting a whole map could reset the blocks? but the teams can't break the blocks or they could break any block on the map.

no easy use for player and host

still no score counting in a legit way, especially with deathmatch.

you can't count a kill with logic stuff

that last sentence is just offending to me, most of my StarMade hours were playing and building with logic, the sentence feels like you talk to a noob that has only played 1 hour and then say there is still a lot ready to be explored by you. remember I made the first ground vehicle that moved without thrusters, I think I pretty much know every possibility of StarMade by now.....
    I really don't see what was so offensive about Neon Strum's post, I think you should just take what is said less personally.

"I think I pretty much know every possibility of StarMade by now"
    What would you say if I told you that I can use logic to count deaths?
    That a shipyard can be used to create entirely disposable arenas or replace parts on one.
    That a single admin command can make the base of a game area invulnerable, but nothing that is docked to it invulnerable.
    Capture the flag can already be done with drop on death, you just have to make sure each team has weapons to pick up after dying.
    Both undeathinators and factioned teleporter modules make great spawn points depending on what you want to do.

While I am not opposed to this suggestion, I do think that most of what was asked for can be done already.
    I would much rather ask for utility in the actual game, that allows mini-games to be born, than I would ask for utility solely for mini-games.
    (With the exception of specific admin tools like mob spawners)

Edit: I will say that Race Gate controllers MUST be able to output a logic signal when a racer passes them or they will remain nothing more than a glorified mini game.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. yea right because I can register if team A is walking through the "flag" or team B, you'd just be able to get your own points with ease.

2. you can't shoot down the guy "with the flag" nor can you pick up that gate or something, it would mean, get 1 guy at your gate and 1 at their gate ding ding ding infinite points.

3. spawn point would take too long or would not be flexible, spawn campers activated.

4. resetting blocks: I guess resetting a whole map could reset the blocks? but the teams can't break the blocks or they could break any block on the map.
    5. no easy use for player and host

6. still no score counting in a legit way, especially with deathmatch.
    7. you can't count a kill with logic stuff

8. that last sentence is just offending to me, most of my StarMade hours were playing and building with logic, the sentence feels like you talk to a noob that has only played 1 hour and then say there is still a lot ready to be explored by you. remember I made the first ground vehicle that moved without thrusters, I think I pretty much know every possibility of StarMade by now.....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

So you can't access the enemy ID-chip, only his ID-tokens (like cannon/beam-computers+cannons/beams)​

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There are quite some games out there with the same problem, even if they spend their resources on that game, not a game inside their game.

SpringRTS-BA for example has on average 3-20 online players in their main host (Zero-K uses a different host)
    They develope the game since more than 10 years now.​
    This game has a dedicated match-making and you still can't get players to join your game, not even for trial sometimes or in some hours a day.

Relax. Wait until there are more active players, wait for LUA-mod-support and a few scripts and then it might be a possibility.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

They develope the game since more than 10 years now.​

well i guess i'll delete this suggestion and wait for a mod, it was a nice conversation though, kept me bussie (don't watch my grammer right now, the addon isn't installed on this device) thanks for your time :D
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448640271,1448640233][/DOUBLEPOST]how do you delete a thread? xD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    well i guess i'll delete this suggestion and wait for a mod, it was a nice conversation though, kept me bussie (don't watch my grammer right now, the addon isn't installed on this device) thanks for your time :D
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448640271,1448640233][/DOUBLEPOST]how do you delete a thread? xD
    There is no real need to delete it.
    Since the biggest issue was that most of what was asked for can "kinda" be done already, we should use this thread to figure out what features and utilities we can think up that would improve the main game and also make it easier to make mini-games.

For instance better logic interaction with race-gates would open a lot of doors.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There is no real need to delete it.
    Since the biggest issue was that most of what was asked for can "kinda" be done already, we should use this thread to figure out what features and utilities we can think up that would improve the main game and also make it easier to make mini-games.

For instance better logic interaction with race-gates would open a lot of doors.
    aha, sounds fair enough make it a brainstorm nice idea. I will, though, probably delete that conversation if we want anyone to actually share his opinion without going through a mini book of discussion with no enlighting end.

to get on the right track about your logic interactions, what do you mean by that? what kind of better interactions/what kind of doors?
    1 I do know, make a race gate also work as an activation gate, that could start some cool events on the map/trigger a gate to open/shut.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448734197,1448734089][/DOUBLEPOST]and then again, how do you delete posts? was planning to put whole conversation into 1 spoiler

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    welp, i'll start off a bit, A team maker block.
    works (for players) kinda the same, hit R to join a team, host can set max players and amount of teams.
    a team gets its own channel and coloured display. this is way easier than making multiple factions

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Idea 1: Limiter Block
    • Linked to a storage block - if an entity passes through an activation gate linked to this: if it has the blocks that match the number and type of blocks in the storage block, returns true. Else false
    • Linked to an AND or an OR logic block, linked to a storage block and to an activated activation block - An entity should have every kind of block in the storage block or more (activation block indicates a "minimum" flag.)
    • Linked to an AND or an OR logic block, linked to a storage block and to a deactivated activation block - An entity should have every kind of block in the storage block, but less than the amount in the storage block. (deactivated activation block indicates a "maximum" flag.)
    • Linked to a NOT logic block, linked to a storage block and to an activated activation block - An entity should not contain the blocks in the storage block, or more.)
    • Linked to a NOT logic block, linked to a storage block and to a deactivated activation block - An entity should not contain the blocks in the storage block, fewer than in the storage block.
    Limiter block can be linked to multiple AND/NOT storage block limiters. This probably needs some hierarchy rules to allow complex combinations for enhanced, block-based rule-making.

Could be linked to the team-maker block to allow a player access to one of the teams and into the racing arena only IF their build matches the required specifications. (No noob builds on this race!)

In a non-racing environment, could return true if the astronaut is not carrying any weapons. Or if they are carrying at least one helmet. Or if they are carrying a minimum of x credits and y blocks. So on and so forth. Very flexible.

Idea 2: Link Limiter Block or Activation Gate to force field group
    This will allow the activating entry to pass through the force field once, if the Activation gate signals True (only permit access for the activating entity.)