block creation? custom model? half block possibillities, request?

opinion on half-blocks and possible implementation:

• absolutely can't do without them, not playing ((old) minecraft player).

• can't do without them, not playing. (other gamers)

• can't wait to get this half-block implemented, playing.

• i manage without, but would like them implemented, playing ((old) minecraft player)

• indifferent, would use them when implemented, but not as a main block.

• negative towards halfblocks, there is no purpose for this blocktype.

• Positive opinion, (comment below).

• negative opinion, (comment below).

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    hello,

my name is Pirate_Ray / Avarus Lux, maybe some folks remember me from the mushroomfleet server, i return with the same question(s) i had back on the old website/forums;

with the current (mod) system and available tools, would it be possible to create and insert a custom block with it's own custom 3d model(shape), not mentioning the collision model, although that would be a good 3rd option, but lets get the model in first.

in this custom block case we are talking about the slab or halfslab aka half block.
    as it currently stands this kind of block will not be officially implemented, as i understood one of the main reasons back then (1 year/1.5 years ago) was limited block id space, which by now should have been resolved as block id space was increased (wasn't it?), collision model issues and animation issues (auto jumping i believe) the other reason was/is due to minecraft having this block and this game not wanting to get to similar, which i find quite a silly reason as all voxel games share the same basic ideology and basic block style, and limiting creativity by leaving out construction options seems not very logical, and besides that, this game is infinitely more then minecraft can ever be due to its setup and complex mechanics.

i know (well... knew, long time ago) a lot of people that would like, or would have liked, to play this game, but don't, due to this block missing, which conflicts with build styles, including my own (especially my small craft), resulting in me not playing as well (i do keep my eye on the game and its news, and update waht i have installed, but not much else).

if there is a way, i would like to know the process and if i find myself able to do the modding i will try and create this, or if someone else sees this possible and has the proper skill, knowledge and tools, much obliged.

i would love to see this,

best regards,
    Avarus_Lux aka Pirate_Ray. (new name i adopted a long time ago)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    would it be possible to create and insert a custom block with it's own custom 3d model(shape), not mentioning the collision model, although that would be a good 3rd option, but lets get the model in first.
    No.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    no... what?
    Given the section that was quoted, I'd have to assume that he means it's not possible. Currently modding can only play with what is already available afaik, so adding 'new' things isnt possible until the API comes out.

Also;
    was limited block id space, which by now should have been resolved as block id space was increased (wasn't it?)
    To my knowledge, the block IDs were not increased, we just learnt more about it. 1024 IDs for vanilla, and like a thousand some set aside for modding and such?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Gonna have to wait if it comes at all.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    As of right now, the game straight up does not support 3d models for blocks. they use something else which means they can't be half blocks etc.

Reaction score
    Given the section that was quoted, I'd have to assume that he means it's not possible. Currently modding can only play with what is already available afaik, so adding 'new' things isnt possible until the API comes out.

Also;

To my knowledge, the block IDs were not increased, we just learnt more about it. 1024 IDs for vanilla, and like a thousand some set aside for modding and such?
    no usable API as of yet, yeah that'll slows thing down to a grind :/ but at least there's id's enough, thats a good thing. thanks for sharing this.

Gonna have to wait if it comes at all.
    i've been waiting since alpha/beta... gave up on waiting for a official release so now i'm just fishing for mod possibilities, which since there's no usable API, nothing is not gonna happen anytime soon...

As of right now, the game straight up does not support 3d models for blocks. they use something else which means they can't be half blocks etc.
    whatever they use is what i actually mean, these days "most" things are utilizing 3d models, so i assumed the simplest.

but.... in general if the game is utilizing a base code using a basic of 8 points of dimensional coordinates(regular cubic block shape) linked together with 8 points in a set cubic dimension (regular block size).
    you can create a half-block by changing 4 top coordinates to half height compared to that of a standard block, to make it half, thats how wedges are done, lowering 2 top coordinates merging them with 2 bottom coordinates creating a 6 point wedge from a 8 point cube, apply proper texture and done (early wedge textures were funky, and imho showed this procedure). variants merely use different points for different positions.

i think at this point its more of a developer issue with implementing with said block then it not actually being possible, i respect the developer for his choice, however this is where mods normally come in, and i shall wait until said mod can be made which means i have to wait for a usable API as well as the finished mod :/

ah well thanks for the answers, i'm probably better of lurking at the news section until news of a mod API appears, then i am bothering you people...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    but.... in general if the game is utilizing a base code using a basic of 8 points of dimensional coordinates(regular cubic block shape) linked together with 8 points in a set cubic dimension (regular block size).
    you can create a half-block by changing 4 top coordinates to half height compared to that of a standard block, to make it half, thats how wedges are done, lowering 2 top coordinates merging them with 2 bottom coordinates creating a 6 point wedge from a 8 point cube, apply proper texture and done (early wedge textures were funky, and imho showed this procedure). variants merely use different points for different positions.
    Did you know we're missing a block shape as is? It's the one that would match up with the old corner block (the one with the square base and single point on top). If Schine were using a system like you think it is, we would have gotten them by now, seeing as we would just need to merge a vertex, but we havent.

I remember someone saying something about certain polygons and cross sections being the reason why. I dunno, game is weird like that.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Megacrafter127 is the one that told me schema is using some magic for blocks iirc, so he should probs be the one to explain it^_^

Reaction score
    Did you know we're missing a block shape as is? It's the one that would match up with the old corner block (the one with the square base and single point on top). If Schine were using a system like you think it is, we would have gotten them by now, seeing as we would just need to merge a vertex, but we havent.

I remember someone saying something about certain polygons and cross sections being the reason why. I dunno, game is weird like that.
    the polygons and crossections problem is what i meant with lighting distortions and weird texture problems in the wedge, all blocks other then cubic had these issues, some more then others, the inverted one you probably mean caused light leaking through, i believe, and other bugs due to its inverted nature, the pyramid corner is still there though, do you mean the inverted pyramid corner instead as i haven't seen that one for a while...?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store

The main difference between all currently implemented shapes[nothing, full, wedge, corner, tetra, hepta(formerly known as penta)] and the anti-corner is, that the anti-corner is not convex. This is an issue especially with lighting. In case of convex shapes, the angle of a surface relative to the light-source is all that is needed to tell how illuminated it is. In case of not-convex shapes, one also needs to check if another part of the shape is in the way. This may also apply to other systems.

Reaction score
    The main difference between all currently implemented shapes[nothing, full, wedge, corner, tetra, hepta(formerly known as penta)] and the anti-corner is, that the anti-corner is not convex. This is an issue especially with lighting. In case of convex shapes, the angle of a surface relative to the light-source is all that is needed to tell how illuminated it is. In case of not-convex shapes, one also needs to check if another part of the shape is in the way. This may also apply to other systems.
    inverted. convex, this is basically a confirmation of what i wrote, its mainly a lighting thing but textures bugs as well.
    but, since a halfblock is not convex or inverted i see no problems as opposed to the inverted corner block which has loads and therefore had valid reasons to be pulled... for the time being...

anyways, i'll play the waiting game once more...waited since the beginning, can wait some more...

i would like a official statement from "officials" or schema himself about this at some point though... ah well mods mods mods, is all thats needed really, and we'll get that sooner or later. :)