Biological Ships and Structures

greatmatt

Conqueror of Worlds, Voice Of The Singularity
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello everyone!! As some of you might have seen, i have recently built two "biomechanical" ships and i intend to build more of them and also some "completely" biological vessels.

Since i started working on these ships i've checked SMD a thousand times and seen very few biological or partially biological ships, while i understand that players generally think it is pointless from a PVP-oriented point of view to build anything that looks organic (even though i think it doesn't make much difference if the ship is a machine or not), it is very interesting for roleplay purposes and adds a lot of diversity to the universe of Starmade.

Most of us have a stone in front of us when it comes to developing too complex ships that is the upcoming power update that may save or ruin ship building. Since i don't want to stop playing Starmade i have resorted to roleplay-0riented builds such as ground units, buildings and now biological ships. The idea of biological ships came to me when i learned about the existence of species 8472, a race from another universe that uses organic spacecraft. Below i present pros and cons of designing biological spacecraft.

Pros:
    -> Let your imagination flow. When building something that is not a machine you can build it in virtually any shape, any color (even though purple and green give a more interesting look in my opinion), any body parts can be added such as arms and tentacles (if you master rails u can make them move), etc.
    -> Originality. The amount of bioships that can be found on dock is almost nonexistent if compared to the number of common ships so those who build them will surely be seen as creative builders (If the bioship is decent of course) and inspire others to build more bioships.
    -> Fun. It is really fun to pit your unique bioships against the common ships of other builders or those of NPCs, you can create any storyline you want for your biofleet and cause insane chaos in the universe from the seat of your leviathan.

Cons:
    -> Interior building. While the exterior of bioships doesn't need to be complex and can have virtually any shape, the interior is really complicated to build because we are human players inside the body of a beast, Starmade doesn't have truly biological blocks so it is hard to fit those mechanical parts inside the body of a bioship. The solution i found to this was to make the bioships be half biological, half mechanical, this not only solved the interior problem but also openned my mind to hybrid ships, half machine, half creature.
    -> Planning. Building a bioships is fun but requires a lot of planning IF you want a good interior, good fire power and mobility. 95% of the bioship's interior and exterior would have to be made of standard armor for it to look completely organic, that can be a problem for smaller ships that don't have much space for thrusters. Again, i solved this issue using my "biomechanical" build theme.
    -> Relationship with stations. While in common ships u can simply add a small airlock, that is complicated in a biological ship because it wasn't "born" to house a pilot let alone a crew. Once again, i solved this with my "biomechanical" theme.

I would like to hear more thoughts on this and if i missed anything about the concept of a biological ship, please write it down.

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    A slightly older build; heavily based on the "Quasi-Biological Organisms" from Silpheed; The Lost Planet. These were meant to serve as hostile NPC units that spawn near asteroid fields. They "prey" on fighters, shuttles and other small craft and have minimal interior.

Observed armament and equipment:
    - Hardened Bio-mechanical "skin"
    - Kinetic force field
    - Kinetically guided corrosive acid/plasma bursts
    - Optical burst weapon (known to target incoming missiles)

QBLF.jpg
    [doublepost=1498695151,1498694121][/doublepost]Here's an itty bitty space fishy. This was just meant to be deep space "wild life" that lives near stars. I had plans to build an "aquarium" of sorts with a pet space fish inside that you could interact with via logic.

- Kinetic force field
    - Plasma Flare.

Space fish.jpg

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    because I cant be bothered to dig through 800 pages of pictures to find them I will just have my go at words.
    SPACEBUGSOFDEATH
    BIG TENTACLY PURPLE BALLS
    hoLY JESUS WHAT IS THAT PURPLE THING WITH TENTACLES AND A LARGE MOUTH ATTACKING THAT SHOP?

all of them have missiles because bio-plasma and they don't have shields because bio-ship.

this has been a post by a very tired djonty.

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    because I cant be bothered to dig through 800 pages of pictures to find them I will just have my go at words.
    SPACEBUGSOFDEATH
    BIG TENTACLY PURPLE BALLS
    hoLY JESUS WHAT IS THAT PURPLE THING WITH TENTACLES AND A LARGE MOUTH ATTACKING THAT SHOP?

all of them have missiles because bio-plasma and they don't have shields because bio-ship.

this has been a post by a very tired djonty.
    I dont think that bioships cant have shields, they just generate the shields on other ways like:
    The Force, The Warp, The Hive Mind powers of tyranids, this biotic thing from Mass Effect, other telekinetic powers or just magic if you want.

And they can have more weapons than just bioplasma, I mean let them throw razorsharp bone srapnels
    on their enemys, or biological capsuls filled with corossive or explosive chemicals.

But wait... Magic, Psykers, Xenos, Mutants... DAMMIT I need a flamethrower to PURGE this
    Xeno-mutant-heretics!
    Ohh... and I need a giant can of Bugspray.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The itsy bitsy spider... crawled up the... OH DEAR GOD NO!!!

They should have left the creature spawner as a place-able block. Now, they've forced me to take matters into my own hands.

Itsy: pesky little bugger
    - Hardened Bio-mechanical carapace
    - Kinetic force field
    - corrosive acid/plasma bursts
    Spider 1.jpg

Bitsy: Tougher not-so-little bugger
    - Hardened Bio-mechanical carapace
    - Kinetic force field
    - High pressure acid spray
    Spider 2.jpg

Last edited:

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    DELET
    THIS

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Starwasp: An aggressive space-born predator. Known to attack fighters, drones and power armor; this creature closes in with frightening speed while spewing corrosive acid bursts at its prey. While not normally a threat to larger craft, they sometime hunt in packs...

- Kinetic force field
    - Kinetically guided corrosive acid/plasma bursts

Flyer org 1.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    This is George, maybe he fits under the biological heading... :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dire Venom

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, I think this thing qualifies.

Meet the TSF Reaver, a largely unfinished techno-organic being. The screenie shows the aft end of it and it really looks like some purple and gray space octopus.
    Eh? That's a recolour of a Nausicaan design, from the looks of it, and I can assure you, Nausicaan ships are beasts of metal and little else.

Reaction score
    It's not a nausicaan ship, or a Star Trek ship at all. The import is from a really old game, that OmegaGame came across while searching for good models to import. I don't know much about the game, since it's a realy old and obscure title. It's definitely alien in origin, right up the starfish alien route of ship design.

greatmatt

Conqueror of Worlds, Voice Of The Singularity
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Dr. Whammy i saw your spiders and decided to try to build some of my own, i call them aracnoids:

Small:

Medium:

Large:

I'll release them on the dock alongside a few more variants soon...

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Dr. Whammy i saw your spiders and decided to try to build some of my own, i call them aracnoids:

Small:

Medium:

Large:

I'll release them on the dock alongside a few more variants soon...

That's one hell of a "try". I had to do a double take just to make sure I didn't make those. Looking good.

It would be nice if we could make these things function on a planet, as intended. For now, I'm using mine as minor enemies to fight on/near my orbital ring facility.