Basic Healthy Multiplayer Etiquette

Reaction score
    You sure got a lot of energy :) and time !

Are you on Light vs Dark server?
    Just trying to figure out which servers have rules that align with your gaming style -
    - maybe someone who knows can make a list of Batavium-compatible servers and post in this "Healthy Multiplayer Etiquette" thread :)

CheerZ everyone :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    LvD, Brierie, Systemhack, Freaks R Us. All of these are excellent choices for Survival PvP servers with the least restrictive rule sets and players that want to fight. Of course I might just be a little biased in regards to LvD :P

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1) No, we established that RP as a pirate requires non consensual PvP. But then again your not trying to destroy someone's base, but rather just pirate a ship or two.
    2)yes
    3)yes
    4)yes
    5)yes
    6) No see #1

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    PvP ain't really consensual. (See Vaygr and Odium)
    This game is far more of a PvP game than an RP Game at this stage in development. (Lack of RP Mechanics and Features as of now)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    1) PvP is consensual.
    No it's not. A rule like that rules out 2 entire sections of potential gameplay, pirates and bounty hunting.

If PVP is consensual, a pirate would be forced to pull you over and ask politely if they're allowed to loot you.

2) Offer to help.
    No. If someone lost their stuff, they should have a fallback in place, like always carrying a spare core. That's always been starmades equivilent of "Don't mine straight down". If it takes an ass whooping to teach the lesson, so be it.

3) Do the rounds.
    That's what build servers and this entire site is for. If I'm on a server, I'm not going to travel to some random plebs base and risk getting shot at because they left their turrets on the wrong settings.

4) Pass it on.
    If players want to learn the games, there's better ways to learn than asking randoms on a server that allows war. This mentality is just going to result in players offering bad advice to gain an advantage.

Join a faction/use the forums/server discord(or teamspeak)/get some friends if you want a social element. Sure, some servers naturally encourage people chatting, like a build server, but a PVP server doesn't.

6) Don't shoot the warp gates.
    "Don't shoot potentially critical infrastructure that a faction could be using to perform quick invasions, or access their off site resources"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Simple matter of fact is that this set of guidelines of yours can't ever apply without actual enforcement, and has the potential to hinder gameplay. Surprise strikes on an enemy faction would be completely removed if people agreed to only consensual combat. People would spend a silly amount of time travelling between random peoples bases just to see the sights, rather than actually playing the damn game.

PVP is not an inherently bad thing either. Look at Elite Dangerous, where pirates have been known to blockade community goals, and so other groups of players band together to defend traders from them.

One of the earliest descriptions of the game was "StarMade is a Minecraft inspired multiplayer 3D space shooter. Build your own ship and conquer the galaxy."

That's still at the top of the indieDB page. Weapons got added to the game before advanced build mode. Shields and factions were in the game before wedges.

Starmade is a combat game, and while yes, not everyone will be open to combat, and there is now obviously more to it than that, trying to educate a community that PVP is bad because not everyone likes it is stupid. Those people should find a safe haven. Especially in a game where one of the earliest buttons was "Declare war"

You clearly have an opinion on what multiplayer should be in Starmade. I'd consider opening a small server if I was you. If you're right, then obviously, that community would grow.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I can literally just undock, fly around & run some scans, then just straight up shoot someone without their consent.
    Totally possible, i can do that! Honest! Which kinda puts the "griefers" on some serious steroids compared to "consensual" players if this is reeeaaalllllly how you want it.

I for one see no reason to agree to rule #1, which is kind of a fundamental flaw in rule #1 by default. Someone can just go "fuck that noise" and go murder some consenting adults anyway, because the games still a thing with its own rules.
    That's a rule that's not asking for respect for another playstyle (which would perfectly reasonable), it's asking for Adherence to another play-style. I'm not IRL murdering people im breaking their pretend space legos. As a consumer and an adult, i paid $10 to do just that, and I sure as shit will keep doing just that. Or something. It's like the whole point, is the point im trying to make here.

Sorry but that just aint a logical suggestion to make amongst human beings, doubly so on the internet.
    And in game I have god damn warships to express my displeasure with, and of course, at my liesure. Self defeating, really.

But that's not a general response to OP, only a reaction to "rule #1" because holy shit that was triggering just let us shoot our guns at people you heartless nazi bastard

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    "what the secondary/tertiary support ratios are, etc."

Yes please?! What the hell are they? My search foo is failing me and I can't seem to find any info on weapon ratios. I've seen hints that there is an optimum ratio but no clarification. I'm building my first large ship and having a hell of a time trying to work out what weapons to use.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    "what the secondary/tertiary support ratios are, etc."

Yes please?! What the hell are they? My search foo is failing me and I can't seem to find any info on weapon ratios. I've seen hints that there is an optimum ratio but no clarification. I'm building my first large ship and having a hell of a time trying to work out what weapons to use.
    Generally speaking, unless you have a good reason for doing otherwise, most weapons should be with a 1/1/1 ratio, exactly the same number of blocks in the primary, secondary and tertiary systems. Yes, there are times when you might not want to do that, but that would take a much longer post and would hijack the thread. If you do not know why and when to use other ratios, as is clearly the case now, go with full ratio.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No it's not. A rule like that rules out 2 entire sections of potential gameplay, pirates and bounty hunting.
    Good.

"Pirate" factions are just a thinly veiled way of saying "griefer" while trying to hide behind calling it roleplay.

You wanna play a pirate? Fine, there are NPC factions now, go pirate them. Leave the other players alone.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Rule #1 won't stick. Servers will choose their rules as they please, and that may well include "consensual PvP only", but such a rule will almost certainly not become ubiquitous. Especially as the game (hopefully) develops in terms of conflict balance (reasons to engage, resource balancing, faction balancing, etc. etc.), non-consensual PvP will remain and likely increase in popularity.

Other than that, decent content, big support for anything regarding the spread of knowledge.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Good.

"Pirate" factions are just a thinly veiled way of saying "griefer" while trying to hide behind calling it roleplay.

You wanna play a pirate? Fine, there are NPC factions now, go pirate them. Leave the other players alone.
    While yes, some people are arseholes who just shoot on sight, that's not really being a pirate.

Again, we look at Elites pirates, who will often interdict you, and give you the choice to hand over your cargo, or be blown up. Hell, even the NPC pirates in that game will ignore you if you're not worthwhile (mostly)

Again, you should open a server. You clearly have an opinion that starkly contrasts the community at large, especially within this site, and so you should let it stand on it's own merits, rather than trying to force it apon other peoples servers.

Reaction score
    I've never seen this kind of behavior. The only "PvP" I've seen in games for years is of the "I'm not going to fight unless I know 100% I can win, if they can actually even risk hurting me, I'm not doing it" style, aka noobstomping, aka griefing.
    I think you are seeing it from your side of the coin, if you flip the coin around and look at it from the pvp players perspective you will see it's just about shooting something and winning the fight. Sure some pvp players are chickshits and attack noobs or people clearly inferior, but you cannot expect them to be fair , since there is no such thing as a fair fight out side prearranged fights.

Most of them in my experience are just frustrated teenage assholes that probably get bullied in school and instead of trying to deal with it in a constructive way turn around and be the bullies in video games for cheap thrills.
    Am i incorrect in thinking you tried to talk them down, never, ever, talk to them, because then you become fair game to all kinds of verbal pvp. just accept you lose and/or come back with 10 times there number and guns.

what you seek is flag based or zone based pvp, it's fun for some but in my eyes it lack the element of risk and consequence.

Reactions: Neon_42 and NaStral

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Good.

That is literally the most boring thing I've ever heard.
    I'd rather watch paint dry than fight a bunch of poorly coded AI in a fleet of tiny, easily predictable, and poorly optimized ships.
    The fun part about playing in servers is shooting people that can actually respond and fight back. (Not new players, they can't respond correctly and its not good for anyone to go Seal Clubbing)
    As I have said multiple times, Starmade (or at least at this stage in development) is not that much of an RP Game.