Basic Healthy Multiplayer Etiquette

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It is important for everyone who plays online with other people to follow some basic etiquette rules to keep servers healthy and populated.

1) PvP is consensual.
    There aren't really any non-pvp survival servers anymore, there is no choice here anymore. People who want to play survival may or may not be interested in PvP. If they want to PvP with you, great! If they want to just go do their own thing with survival and building stuff, let them. They aren't forcing you to build vast RP ships, you don't get to force them to PvP, its that simple. It isn't war, its a game, and games are meant to be fun for everyone. You play the way you like, let them play the way they like, and don't force your way on anyone who doesn't want it.

2) Offer to help.
    People are going to have bad things happen, and it is currently possible to get so screwed in the game that you can't recover from it on your own. If you see someone saying they lost their ship for whatever reason and need a pickup, go pick them up (long as they aren't on the other side of the galaxy). If you're well established and a new player on the server gets their first ship with all their blocks destroyed by pirates, build them a quick mining ship replacement. It takes you 5 minutes, and it makes lots of good will towards both you and the server in general.

3) Do the rounds.
    People like to show off things they've built. Volunteer to go look at them. Go a visitin'. Not only does it help make the server look more friendly and active, but you never know when the quiet guy in the corner is a master builder that you can get some great ideas from. Vice versa, let people come visit your station and see what you've build, especially the noobs that still need inspiration to build their own cool stuff.

4) Pass it on.
    Some of the mechanics in Starmade are... a little obtuse (I'm looking at you, spaghetti power lines). It can be very confusing for new players. Take the time out to teach new players how to build efficient power, how to build turrets, what the secondary/tertiary support ratios are, etc. Just because you know it all without thinking about it anymore doesn't mean they do, and lifting them up lifts up the entire server.

5) Talk.
    Might seem silly, but the reason most people play on servers and not single player is because they want to talk to people while they play. There is nothing they can build on a server that they can't build on single player. There is nothing they can't fight on a server they can't fight on single player. The entire reason many people play on servers is so that they have someone to talk to. So talk to them. You don't have to be a chatty cathy, but don't sit in silence either. Just a "Hey" when someone logs on can make all the difference. A talky server is an active server.

6) Don't shoot the warp gates.
    Technically this falls under #1 up there, but still. Warp gates are expensive and time consuming to build, and are a benefit to the entire server. Don't blow them up. You know what it makes you when you blow up warp gates? An asshole. Don't be an asshole.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Agreed, this is a good set of basic rules for basically any server. A multiplayer server is a community, and as one, it works only if everybody makes an effort to abide by a certain set of basic rules.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I remember being stuck on a planet with only a core and unable to break free from the gravity. Another player happened to land on the planet and I simply jumped onto his ship and sat down and asked for a lift into orbit which they kindly provided.

Another time someone shot at my ship thinking I was someone else. I am an RP player and they was PvP. When their mistake was realised I found a cargo pod at my home base stuffed with gear as way of apology and compensation.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1. PvP is NOT Consensual. You are prey everywhere and anywhere. The only exception is someone in a build block on a Home Base. Stick your head out and i will shoot it off. Individual servers can offcourse have there own rule set. But to talk about general StarMade pvp multiplayer rules complete rejection.

StarMade = All out Space War

2. Helping is always good. But it is not my mission in life. StarMade is just a game like any other game. And i play it for my own fun. I can be helpful but online i am never nice.

3. I do the rounds alright pew pew pew. Muhahahaha.

4. See 2.

5. Sure. Opens chat screen:

To the person currently mining in my system. Commit suicide and leave your vessel or be exterminated in the next few seconds!

6. ALWAYS shoot the Warp Gates! They provide transport for hostile invasion forces. Any talk of them being neutral or traders is a DECEPTION! You want a save Warp Gate? Get some allies and set them up between Home Bases. Public Server Gates need to be gifted to the Trading Guild Faction and placed in a protected sector by the Admin.

Community? This forum is turning more and more is some religious cult. Who seek to control anything and anyone.

StarMade is a First Person Shooting game. Like Battlefield, Unreal Tournament, Quake etc.

It is a pile of blocks in space. Each individual player can shape there tools of destruction to there own will. Regardless of looks or function. But space is hostile.

You want to build for buildings sake? Get on a Build server.

You want to talk fantasy and life out your day dreams? Get on a Roll Play server.

Reactions: Neon_42

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ironically my 1st server ended mainly because the owners never decided on the server it wanted to be and what isnt expressly prohibited is generally exploited by assholes. I think I'll stick with the OP on this one.

Reaction score
    There is nothing they can't fight on a server they can't fight on single player.
    wat

aside from that mess up there, this seems like a totally reasonable list of guidelines for a specific server.

the problem is, who are you to dictate peoples behavior? i may want to be quiet, or not look at peoples stuff, or heaven forbid shoot at them.. most servers i play on allow these things on purpose, not just because they forgot to tell you not to. as you said:

There aren't really any non-pvp survival servers anymore, there is no choice here anymore.
    theres probably a reason why this is the case... if you want a different server environment, join one, create one, or manipulate existing ones into conforming to your... oh wait.

Reaction score
    It is important for everyone who plays online with other people to follow some basic etiquette rules to keep servers healthy and populated.

1) PvP is consensual.
    PvP is consensual on non-PvP servers. I might offer a suggestion that our established players not harass new players, or those who have little to offer in terms of loot, but this is my personal opinion....not canon. Rest assured that if I'm piloting my cruiser, and see you flying by loaded with shield blocks and advanced armor, I likely will attempt a withdraw. Consider it....wealth redistribution!

We'd agree on every other line item you provided.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    wat

aside from that mess up there, this seems like a totally reasonable list of guidelines for a specific server.
    You can assign any ship you like to the pirates and spawn it in. A human might be better at flying it, but you can fight any ship in single player that you can in multiplayer.

And considering most of the player ships are going to be huge behemoths that rely mostly on turrets, the skill of the pilot will often times not be the deciding factor anyway.
    [doublepost=1489597793,1489597711][/doublepost]
    i set up a hb in bataviums system just to annoy him =p
    Heh, if he wants to do the "anything goes" style PvP, I'd love to set up a homebase right next to his and just build massive heatseeker arrays and set them on timer logic.

Keep it blueprinted, and every time he moves his base you just make a new one right next to it from a stealth ship and immediately make it the new faction base.

There, his entire sector is filled with nukes 24/7. And its fine because its PvP, no such thing as griefing on a PvP server. Don't like it? Git Gud. :P
    [doublepost=1489597992][/doublepost]
    PvP is consensual on non-PvP servers.
    Except there aren't any non-PvP servers left that aren't pure build servers.

So pick a server, and just don't be an ass on it. Not hard.
    [doublepost=1489598066][/doublepost]
    Batavium is the reason I don't play online.
    People like Batavium are the reason homebase invincibility is absolutely required.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You can assign any ship you like to the pirates and spawn it in. A human might be better at flying it, but you can fight any ship in single player that you can in multiplayer.
    you cant assign a ship to your sp pirate roster if you dont have the ship because its my ship that i built and use on a server youve never touched... do you not understand that not all players build the same stuff?

btw, i totally agree with you, go ahead and set up logic missiles in my sector. it probably wont work out how youre describing it.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    you cant assign a ship to your sp pirate roster if you dont have the ship because its my ship that i built and use on a server youve never touched... do you not understand that not all players build the same stuff?
    There's a whole community catalog full of ships that can be imported and assigned to the pirates. No one person's ships are that special.

Reaction score
    There's a whole community catalog full of ships that can be imported and assigned to the pirates. No one person's ships are that special.
    There is nothing they can't fight on a server they can't fight on single player.
    stop moving your goalposts. you cant fight my ships on your sp unless you get them from me somehow, which usually involves playing on a server i play on or asking me directly. whether you consider them special or not is up to you, but it doesnt change the fact that... you dont have them.

Reaction score
    stop moving your goalposts. you cant fight my ships on your sp unless you get them from me somehow, which usually involves playing on a server i play on or asking me directly. whether you consider them special or not is up to you, but it doesnt change the fact that... you dont have them.
    True - I bet there are a lot of cool ships that are not on the dock for reasons.
    But the general feel and gameplay involving desires, motivations, derivation of fun - there is only one difference between SP and MP that truly matters - other people. That implies some sort of interaction. Meaning in MP one would seek interaction in addition to everything else one could get in SP.

But yeah, aside from that, I bet there are a bunch of awesome stuff that isn't available on the dock.

Reaction score
    i agree with you; my post was pointing out edymnions contradictions and apparent disregard for some pretty basic mp gameplay principles.

Reaction score
    1. PvP is NOT Consensual. You are prey everywhere and anywhere. The only exception is someone in a build block on a Home Base. Stick your head out and i will shoot it off. Individual servers can offcourse have there own rule set. But to talk about general StarMade pvp multiplayer rules complete rejection.

StarMade = All out Space War

2. Helping is always good. But it is not my mission in life. StarMade is just a game like any other game. And i play it for my own fun. I can be helpful but online i am never nice.

3. I do the rounds alright pew pew pew. Muhahahaha.

4. See 2.

5. Sure. Opens chat screen:

To the person currently mining in my system. Commit suicide and leave your vessel or be exterminated in the next few seconds!

6. ALWAYS shoot the Warp Gates! They provide transport for hostile invasion forces. Any talk of them being neutral or traders is a DECEPTION! You want a save Warp Gate? Get some allies and set them up between Home Bases. Public Server Gates need to be gifted to the Trading Guild Faction and placed in a protected sector by the Admin.

Community? This forum is turning more and more is some religious cult. Who seek to control anything and anyone.

StarMade is a First Person Shooting game. Like Battlefield, Unreal Tournament, Quake etc.

It is a pile of blocks in space. Each individual player can shape there tools of destruction to there own will. Regardless of looks or function. But space is hostile.

You want to build for buildings sake? Get on a Build server.

You want to talk fantasy and life out your day dreams? Get on a Roll Play server.
    Sounds like LOADS of fun! But with all the dangers - sure would be nice to have some allies, especially in the beginning (or some noob protection lol). These rules sound like dope on Explicitly PvP servers. For generic rules - I'd totally go with OP there.

CheerZ :)

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    As a general set of guidelines I think this is very solid guide for players, with the exception of #1 and #6. It's important to note that different servers cater to different sections of the SM community. If Edymnion were to start a server and set these guidelines and rules to cater to certain prevalent mentalities then, it's without question the appropriate and right move. On a different server, different values could very well be at play.

Since Starmade does not have a single, powerful, professionally managed server directly controlled by the developers, the idea that there is a singular player community is tenuous at best. Starmade is in all reality quite fractured, and appropriately so as not all players seek the same experience. In seeking out the experiences they want, they will choose whichever server best fits their personality.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i set up a hb in bataviums system just to annoy him =p
    Other people already did this. It makes for great tension and clashes.

Note that i speak from experience. I had my Home Base with all ships wiped out on servers where you loose faction points. Never did it stop me from playing StarMade or said server. If your a killer then you understand your own death is part of it to.

Heh, if he wants to do the "anything goes" style PvP, I'd love to set up a homebase right next to his and just build massive heatseeker arrays and set them on timer logic.

Keep it blueprinted, and every time he moves his base you just make a new one right next to it from a stealth ship and immediately make it the new faction base.

There, his entire sector is filled with nukes 24/7. And its fine because its PvP, no such thing as griefing on a PvP server. Don't like it? Git Gud. :P
    This is how to play StarMade bring it on and bring friends. A grand coalition to hunt me down. I am mostly online on Sundays at Brierie. Though I have bases on other servers to my faction name on all is:

Toast King

I always play as Batavium.

As for the logic weapon. Weapon clocks kill servers more then players. But have fun trying this strategy. (y)

Sounds like LOADS of fun! But with all the dangers - sure would be nice to have some allies, especially in the beginning (or some noob protection lol). These rules sound like dope on Explicitly PvP servers. For generic rules - I'd totally go with OP there.
    On the first gen Dabble server. A server that had no protected spawn and drop items on death. I was greeted by three people when i joined. They immediately shot me and had great fun doing so. I did not mind shit happens. So i logged off and just waited until they logged off to. Then i came back on. I had no items but i did have a little bit of starter money. I got a few cores and flew away from spawn.

To cut a long story short. I ended up killing all three with a cloaked ship. It got so bad for them that they begged me to stop.

Things like this draw me to StarMade. It is an intelligent game. Pvp is very complex and very strategical. You need careful planning and a bit of luck to execute a good battle plan. The rush when that goes down well is undescribable.

Mindlessly shooting every random guy is extremely funny. As long as you understand that some will and can inflict terrible payback.