Ares Initiative - Fog of War: Starmade's Version of X4 and Elite Dangerous

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score

The Ares Initiative is a group of server owners and PvPers that want to see starmade thrive with more strategic and comprehensive gameplay. Our plan is to combine elements of X4, Elite Dangerous, and Star Citizen to create the ultimate server configurations and provide the starmade community the best server experience possible to conduct faction gameplay. With every risk comes a reward, the question is....
    How much will you risk?

HP DL380p
    Intel Xeon CPU E5-2665 2X
    128 GB Ram
    Raid6 10k SAS Array

VM Assigned Values
    16 Virtual Processors
    51200 MB ram
    1TB Storage
    • Weekend at War [Homebase Vulnerability every weekend]​
    • Scaled Speed Limits based on mass​
    • Scaled Turret,Docked, & Docked Ship Limits based on mass​
    • Station shield, armor, & turret buffs​
    • Passive Credit Income based on Claimed Territory​
    • Custom Economy using Real Economic Strategies​
    • Politics that matter
    • Revised Faction Point system [Territory and Ships now cost FP]
    • Balanced weapon configs
    • No NPC's or NPC Shops [Player-Run Economy]
    • Gameplay enhancing limitations to give you real strategic combat.

Discord Server Link: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Last edited:
    Reactions: aceface and Arcaner

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score

• Increased Cannon/Cannon ROF, Reduced Damage, Reduced Cannon Projectile Speed

• Increased Death Beam Range, Charge time, and Damage

• Increased Artillery Cannon Range, Damage, and Reload time

• Edited All other weapons configs to increase reload, decrease projectile speed, and damage to encourage more skillbased strategic combat

• Added Turret Rotation speed Debuff

• Removed Chamber Blocks from Crafting menu

• Added Chamber blocks to SpawnHub store as a purchased upgrade

• Removed AI Factions

• Removed AI Faction shops and stations

• Added Size requirements for station buffs

• Completed starter corvette to teach new players the game

• Changed cost of core to 2.5M and changed recipe to reflect
    • Rulesets limiting docked ship counts until 250K
    • Rulesets limiting turret counts by mass
    • Rulesets limiting docked entities by mass
    • Added Under limit station debuff to neutralize power and factory until it reaches 25K mass
    Changelog 0.1.7 (20190202)
    -Changed Turning ratio to be equal at all designs, both vertical and horizontal.
    -Changed Station Tiers for buffs to use Mass Rather than Block totals (Starts at 25K for the first tier) -Removed Chamber blocks as a crafting recipe
    -Added Chamber blocks to Spawn Shop, Changed price to act as a Credit Sink
    -Reduced Core Cost to 2.5M in preparation for FP cost per ship

Last edited:
    Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    "Homebase Vulnerability on Weekends" - Will this apply to every homebase, or will you deactivate it for homebases whose faction members are not online at the weekend?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    All homebases, every weekend, No special treatments.
    I have to ask what the entire point in having an HB would be then? - beyond a simple 1 to 3 block mining claim to visit from the void.

Additionally, in your OP,you state "The Ares Initiative is a group of server owners and PvPers" - which server owners, and which PvPers exactly?

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score
    A buffed safe haven that gives you increased resource yield?

Why don't you join the discord and let those questions answer themselves

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A safe haven without invulnerability (is not a safe haven), I'm not sure how that math works?

lol then players just wouldn't log on on the weekends
    I will have to disagree with this generalised statement...

1. Weekends are "Playtime" for many.
    2. It defies the purpose of creating an existance on FOW.
    3. Those looking for pvp interaction will be there (if/when they can, lets not forget RL).
    4. Yes I know, there will be exceptions.

Generalised assumptions like that are usually not realistic (reasons why peoples do it here).

I would suggest something in the general direction of Penalties for raids on offline Factions, or this will also be abused.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sachys

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score

Okay, the first part makes sense, but why would I have to join discord (a service I do not use and have no wish to use) to find out the answer to my question?
    Surely, in the time it took you to post, you could simply have offered the information instead.

Also, does help to hit that reply button, instead of leaving a floating answer that is not an answer.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Probably because it's unnecessary... But the question is relevant - as you seem to be aware, based on your hesitance to identify the group's constituents on the record in a public forum.

You are probably also aware that some of the best-marketed and most popular public servers in SM history have had long-running, systemic problems with moderator and admin abuse, including server owners themselves playing as alts and treating the players on their servers as disposable amusements in a private shooting gallery.

I'm assuming that this is the concern behind his question. Any imbecile can spend some money from their trust fund and become a "server owner," but... not all server owners are equal, and not all should be trusted in terms of investing time into playing their servers.

That said, what the server describes itself as is appealing.

It's just hard to take seriously after enough years of servers owned and operated by cheating, interventionist badmins.

Last edited:

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    *tinfoils fedora*

If we're randomly speculating I'll guess from the theme of previous posts that they are not interested in spoon-feeding people info that's not related to the server rules and config.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    *tinfoils fedora*

If we're randomly speculating I'll guess from the theme of previous posts that they are not interested in spoon-feeding people info that's not related to the server rules and config.
    Then why mention it in the first place?

Its evidently mentioned in the OP to provide confidence in FOW being a well thought out / maintained and administrated server;
    "The Ares Initiative is a group of server owners and PvPers that want to see starmade thrive with more strategic and comprehensive gameplay."
    - yet the omission of more specific information and the avoiding of an answer to my question regarding it will likely do the opposite.

Genuinely though, I'm just curious as to whom it is.

Reaction score
    vulnerability on weekends:

this only means that I can't make a station and will have a nomad style on your server - maybe I have a hidden station somewhere in the void but honestly I doubt it, because I rather have a mobile base than risking being found one day

And no one can be online 24 7 to defend his station, it basically will come down to people raiding afk stations on weekends. maybe one or two factions manage to be there for the 48 hours. and then? what about the casuals that dont want to join a big faction that manages to be ther 48 hours? the only choice they have is to hide. I dont like it. But that doesnt mean the pvp will be bad. I just see that I cant build a base then ;)

But I have to try it for myself to propperly judge it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MilitantCollective
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    the only choice they have is to hide. I dont like it. But that doesnt mean the pvp will be bad. I just see that I cant build a base then ;) But I have to try it for myself to propperly judge it.
    thats kind of the point if you dont want to join a big faction. you could build a remote base without claiming to make you unfindable or a nomad base. but cool you want to try it anyway :)

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score
    Okay, the first part makes sense, but why would I have to join discord (a service I do not use and have no wish to use) to find out the answer to my question?
    Surely, in the time it took you to post, you could simply have offered the information instead.

Also, does help to hit that reply button, instead of leaving a floating answer that is not an answer.
    Sachys, either join to see in the discord or don't. It's an open initiative, those who identify as pvpers or server owners join it and offer input. We have DestroyerofWorlds and Alterintel as server owners in the discord now. Too many PVPers to name. Enjoy
    [doublepost=1550351647,1550351307][/doublepost]Macthule only members of the admin faction can run commands, commands can only be ran in general chat. Using the rulesets. For those not run by ruleset commands (rare instances of sector corruption and other odd commands), they will be run by a wrapper which sends the commands run by mods to a public channel in our discord.

Transparency as admins was in my first dev stream for FOW, I suffered the corruption under Shattered Skies just like everyone else, it's also why my server has so many rulesets, so admins RARELY ever have to intervene with subjective biased rulings, because the rulesets do not discriminate

Last edited:

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Sachys, either join to see the discord or don't. It's an open initiative, those who identify as pvpers or server owners join it and offer input. We have LvD and Alterintel as server owners in the discord now. Too many PVPers to name. Enjoy
    I made it quite clear I dont use discord (and wont), but thanks for at least mentioning them.

Reaction score
    thats kind of the point if you dont want to join a big faction. you could build a remote base without claiming to make you unfindable or a nomad base. but cool you want to try it anyway :)
    Yeah some tutorial so casual Starmade players understand this eve style concept would be helpful if the server ever goes online.

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score
    Its in alpha now, we have a good bit of ruleset issues. Working on getting them fixed by schema