Another solution to invincible faction bases

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No it is not. Its whoever decided for this syste to be in the game in the first place's fault. Someone suggested somthing almost *exactly* like it just with a lot less detail (it was a paragraph long), and it got shot down in a similar manner to a solid lead blimp hit by a nuke. Also, you seem to have forgot that not everyone plays for weeks on end without taking any breaks. Even then, there is ALWAYS a bigger doomcube. SOmeone out there has made a bigger cube packed with missiles called a ship for some reason.
    And I'll pop your comment like pointing a needle to a balloon.

--- that's exactly why it'll be easy to build a very powerful station with turrets that shoot when someone touches the shields and with really long ranged turrets and buffed shields. If station are buffed this much it will not be hard to hoard off trolls. If people however use really powerful ships to raid bases, then let that be. I want the bases to be indestructable, and if you have a weak base maybe you would want to team or form alliances to prevent enemies from destroying your weak base, if it is still so weak even though the buffs. You have to imagine how players would react, there would probably be some top faction ruling the solar system killing every base it finds in its path --- maybe you team with others to fight them? It will just add so much roleplay in the process as well.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    There's always a bigger fish.
    Thing is, invincible stations are a temporary solution. And as such it's good because it's simple. See, this is a matter of game balancing. You can't do proper balancing in this kind of game without making a basic economy in the first place. Currently, without a proper economy anyone can make a Doom Cube with relative ease and obliterate everything. When the game gets balanced somewhat at least, that should not be the case. Then you'll need to work hard to get a super powerful destroyer of worlds and homebases. Basically, you shouldn't be able to do so without being in a decent faction and as such being just one of many people working on a beast of that size. Also, say we get an AI good enough to lead fleets on it's own. For your faction that is. These along with turrets would be a very good defense against trolls and other rascals who want to raid your base, and it would work even when you're not online.
    So in the balanced distant future of Starmade bases would no longer be a garage for ships where every player gets one and no one can wreck it. They should be quite destructible and not available to just anyone. Maintenance wise, at least. You'd need a good faction to defend a base from all the random perils of a sandbox universe because those would be the only people with resources to make a fleet of AI controlled ships. Also solves the problem of one man factions as new players to the server would be forced to join forces in order to preserve their ships.
    Yes, i am aware this all is nowhere near easy to implement and that it will take time. Also that it is possibly a complex solution to a simple problem. But given that all these things are planned, i don't see why not.
    Sidetracked again. Sorry for going slightly off-topic. As for the current solution, eh. I don't think Starmade is exactly friendly to pvp at its current state, what with constant updates changing all aspects of it every few weeks. Your proposition is not bad, but i'm not sure it would make much difference to the trolls... Never underestimate the resolve of those devils.

Reactions: FlyingDebris
    Reaction score
    And I'll pop your comment like pointing a needle to a balloon.

--- that's exactly why it'll be easy to build a very powerful station with turrets that shoot t.
    I actually lost you over your ego. Because talking to you is like talking to a record player, I'll just quickly put this down so I can spend my time on something worthwhile.

No matter how many things you have, no matter how many death turrets of doom you have, Somebody will have a cube with twice it's firepower an shield, including the station buffs. You can have your laser barracuda, and no matter how many lasers you strap to it someone is going to have a laser shark with more lasers strapped to it.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No matter how many things you have, no matter how many death turrets of doom you have, Somebody will have a cube with twice it's firepower an shield, including the station buffs. You can have your laser barracuda, and no matter how many lasers you strap to it someone is going to have a laser shark with more lasers strapped to it.
    keep it to the context and avoid ad hominem please...

it was well worth those turrets

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This is a sensible question : How can new players protect themselves from trolls , bullies and such (mainly when they are offline, busy with real life) ? Your proposition is a nice addition to faction warfare, but what about the people that's not a member of any of those big factions and just play the game on their own way ?
    If you prevent newcomers to establish themselves, then the game population will lower...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe make home bases invulnerable for 24 hours only. You can damage (not kill) blocks, but only on the outside!

In the next day, the damages are either fixed by a player ( you can kill ships trying to repair damage ) or damaged blocks will take damage as normal and forward punch-through or explosion damage as normal too.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    You'll eventually be able to disable invulnerable faction bases server side. So servers that want it get it and those that find it useless can turn it off.

Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Issues with suggestion?
    1- If Person A cant build Station quickly before a Troll comes and wrecks it, he gets Sad.
    2- If Person B Has LOWER settings and can not handle Large builds, and a Troll in a Large ship comes along, he gets sad.
    3- If Person C Tried to frame the interior of a Station, it doesnt have the stats, and then a Troll comes. He gets Sad.

People have Made Planet destroyers, and with the Regen and HP of those, I dont Stations will be that much harder just by buffing them.

The Buffs mean Nothing, they only make ESTABLISHED Stations More 'powerful'. They Still have the same weaknesses, and would just make destroying them take longer. You have to remember Stations cant move, so they inherently have more space for shields as well, There's no need to buff them if they already have a advantage in that regard.

I would Actually Prefer War's suggestion. While they are almost exactly the same, His offers it as a optional feature :p Which is FAR better then making it mandatory and "Buffed" just to make it appear more appealing.

Reaction score
    Issues with suggestion?
    1- If Person A cant build Station quickly before a Troll comes and wrecks it, he gets Sad.
    2- If Person B Has LOWER settings and can not handle Large builds, and a Troll in a Large ship comes along, he gets sad.
    3- If Person C Tried to frame the interior of a Station, it doesnt have the stats, and then a Troll comes. He gets Sad.

People have Made Planet destroyers, and with the Regen and HP of those, I dont Stations will be that much harder just by buffing them.

The Buffs mean Nothing, they only make ESTABLISHED Stations More 'powerful'. They Still have the same weaknesses, and would just make destroying them take longer. You have to remember Stations cant move, so they inherently have more space for shields as well, There's no need to buff them if they already have a advantage in that regard.

I would Actually Prefer War's suggestion. While they are almost exactly the same, His offers it as a optional feature :p Which is FAR better then making it mandatory and "Buffed" just to make it appear more appealing.
    This. Exactly this, just 4- If person D happens to have a planet base instead, someone comes, bombs it, he gets sad.
    (to OP)
    Also, I was saying the ego thing earlier because the first thing I see is a balloon metaphor (or a simile to some people, but I only use that for nice things and not "lol I maek bettar arguents). Metaphors only work if they're original. Now, I'm not going to waste any more time on this thread because talking to you is similar to talking to a block of concrete with headphones on. And no, that is not ad hominem, because there's no point to continuing, once I've seen one of your comebacks Ive seen them all.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This. Exactly this, just 4- If person D happens to have a planet base instead, someone comes, bombs it, he gets sad.
    (to OP)
    Also, I was saying the ego thing earlier because the first thing I see is a balloon metaphor (or a simile to some people, but I only use that for nice things and not "lol I maek bettar arguents). Metaphors only work if they're original. Now, I'm not going to waste any more time on this thread because talking to you is similar to talking to a block of concrete with headphones on. And no, that is not ad hominem, because there's no point to continuing, once I've seen one of your comebacks Ive seen them all.
    I only used a simile because you did, so please just stop trolling this thread.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This whole bigger fish argument really strikes a chord with me. DFN Troy base, over seven million DPS in turrets that could snipe you over two kilometers away. So big that anyone with less than 6GB of ram can't load it. There was exactly ONE ship undocked ONE time. IT GOT STOLEN. Firepower beyond comprehension, someone still manages to somehow pull off a successful raid.

Whether or not a base has a ton of shields, turrets, or otherwise is completely irrelevant. It may as well be unarmed and unshielded. The only thing those do is either A- make the attacker go get a new ship, or B- make the attacker wait around an hour.

Then there's also the detail of why homebases are invincible in the first place. People need a safe place to park their things and know that they will still be there in the morning. We faction leaders are already having to put up with finding a good balance between something that can stop a 750m long capital ship and something that our computers can load without crashing. If the mass of the turrets alone on that base was enough to cause me to drop down to 2fps for a few minutes while it loads, just imagine if I now had to equip it with more shields than a titan to keep our...rather...expensive... factory, ships, user dorms, hangars, all that hard work from being wiped out by some snot-nosed brat who spent five minutes more than usual to make a bigger doomcube.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think I responded to a duplicate topic to things, and I said simply:

Rule 1.1 of Starmade - Someone will always build a sufficiently large gun for ANYTHING. So... Not going to work.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I believe there are other options than making bases tougher or adding timers. Say, if there is a method of moving around faster (FTL drives, warp gates, etc.) to put more space between players without isolating them, that would reduce the number of encounters between players. An economy refinement would also reduce the number of capitals roaming around, as well. These 2 alone would reduce the number of people getting vapourized from random jerks wandering across space.

For newer players, (assuming these 2 things are implemented) they could go and put more space between them (by utilizing said travel systems) and the guys with capitals until they are ready to face them, either with equal ships or with sheer numbers. They could also join one of the nicer groups (established factions, for example), and work alongside them. Space is huge, there are a ridiculous amount of options in it.

Of course, this is all based on having " no home bases" be the default setting (it'll be optional, as build servers and the like will probably still want them).

It is only my opinion, of course, but just I hate not being able to actually engage in proper warfare. You can't actually capture someone's base (or destroy it), which would typically lead to the end of a conflict. Also, I think the timers would essentially force you to keep circling until the besieged opponent either gives up (or you do), or they are off for too long. I don't know about you guys, but I would prefer not to do that.

(I know there are some things I have forgotten, feel free to keep adding to the list. I also know there are plans for all three systems, I need to find some info on that again.)

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    I understand that having anything be invulnerable could be frustrating, but it is necessary. Many of the people who support this game are adults with real lives, jobs, etc. We can't make any game a high priority. If we need to be away for a while and come back to find so much of our resources gone, then we will quit.

The problem with that is it is our money that supports the game/servers/ etc.

If they took away my ability to park my stuff and keep it safe, then I wouldn't play or support this game. Period. I have a life and would find something else to do with my time.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I understand that having anything be invulnerable could be frustrating, but it is necessary. Many of the people who support this game are adults with real lives, jobs, etc. We can't make any game a high priority. If we need to be away for a while and come back to find so much of our resources gone, then we will quit.

The problem with that is it is our money that supports the game/servers/ etc.

If they took away my ability to park my stuff and keep it safe, then I wouldn't play or support this game. Period. I have a life and would find something else to do with my time.
    Any money you pay for servers does not support starmade iirc. Anything donated to servers goes to the server host or the owner I think, but I have no idea.

The idea is to have something like this as an Option, cause while you might be too busy, some players are not and would enjoy the added depth. It would add diversity to servers at least.
    Anyways, this thread is like 2 months dead almost, so I don't even remember what it was about xD I just read my last post and got a general idea.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Donations to servers go to servers. Folks who want destroyable faction bases are mostly trolls and griefers riding around in lag-monster cannon bricks. Besides, the only donate button anywhere that actually contributes to Star-Made is the one right here. And... this is a topic over a month old, fellas.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Another possibility then would be to have NPC owned (and active) stations, where you can rent space and inventory room. These would be indestructible, and open to everyone while no one would be able to edit the station, meaning everyone had equal opportunity in these stations. Then you could add in faction bases, with powerful shields, and periods where they are indestructible, for those who need more space or want to customise their living area. To fix the problem of the station running out of space, you could have it so each player can only access their stuff upon entering the station. Everyone else's stuff would not load for your client, and you would only be able to interact with your items and ships, meaning you could have hundreds of players items all overlapping in the exact same location, but each individual would only be able to access their personal items.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Everyone else's stuff would not load for your client, and you would only be able to interact with your items and ships, meaning you could have hundreds of players items all overlapping in the exact same location, but each individual would only be able to access their personal items.
    A break through in quantum mechanics! You've discovered a new dimension of possibilities :)