Another solution to invincible faction bases

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I don't like the fact that faction bases are invincible and that it is not possible to raid bases, even a little noob platform is not possible to shoot down. Yes I heard of the faction point system, but this is more easier to implement, and also I think that it is strange that you are able to have an invincible base at all.

That's why I propose the 5 following changes to how stations in general work along with home bases NOT being invincible.

*1. Their turret ai is more hostile than ships.
    *2. Their shields are more effective than ships.
    *3. Their turrets' general damage is higher than the damage of ships.
    4. Their turrets' general range is twice the length of that of ships.
    5. Station turrets share shields with the base (home base only)

* Since turrets only shoot ships that have destroyed the hull of your station, it would be very easy to even destroy a very heavily shielded station in a matter of time. Therefor I propose that the faction makes the player who does the slightest damage to your bases' shields a hostile. This ai option is exclusive to station turrets. If I take a hot shot and shoot someones base with my little laser, the bases's giant turrets will blow me up. Thus making it way harder to raid someones base.

* A single shield block should give 5x more shields on station than on ships.

* The general dps of turrets on stations is 3x more powerful than the weapons of ships.

These buffs will make bases very powerful just like they should be. It will promote heavy scale attacks on bases, and will also give something to strive for in war. It will also promote to build bigger bases as the likelihood of being raided would be far less if you have beast turrets with tonnes of shields. Lets say you led a large attack on an enemy base and finally destroyed all the turrets and raided the base. The satisfaction would be amazing :D

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I suggest:
    * Player = hostile should be temporary (at least as an option)
    * If shields are 5x stronger, the hostile-code could react after the second successive strike.

Because I don't like a war if I accidentally shoot once at something as the weapons don't even have a security-lock.

If you try to solve the underlying issue (bullying? Steam-rolling 10 bases with the same ship?) by just making blocks 3x or 5x stronger,
    a big "Borg-Cube" with 10% as much shield capacity could still wear your station down without losses.

If you suffer 1 hour work (for resources or repairing) you want another player to spend at least a fraction of that time to feel satisfied.

But the game at it's current stage does not support this and you also want to players play different amount of time.

Not-Invulnerable home-bases are subject to attacks from bullies.

But if your home's best defence is to hide it, why do you even need better shields and weapons?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I suggest:
    * Player = hostile should be temporary (at least as an option)
    * If shields are 5x stronger, the hostile-code could react after the second successive strike.

Because I don't like a war if I accidentally shoot once at something as the weapons don't even have a security-lock.

If you try to solve the underlying issue (bullying? Steam-rolling 10 bases with the same ship?) by just making blocks 3x or 5x stronger,
    a big "Borg-Cube" with 10% as much shield capacity could still wear your station down without losses.

If you suffer 1 hour work (for resources or repairing) you want another player to spend at least a fraction of that time to feel satisfied.

But the game at it's current stage does not support this and you also want to players play different amount of time.

Not-Invulnerable home-bases are subject to attacks from bullies.

But if your home's best defence is to hide it, why do you even need better shields and weapons?
    if that borg cube has 10% the amount of shields, the turrets would probably take it out?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Currently, AI is limited to 1 km distance. Someone could sit outside that distance and seige the base to death. Also, someone could just make a bigger gun. Do you honestly want every single player who sets up a homebase to have to stuff it with shields and turrets from the get-go or risk being destroyed by a troll?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Currently, AI is limited to 1 km distance. Someone could sit outside that distance and seige the base to death. Also, someone could just make a bigger gun. Do you honestly want every single player who sets up a homebase to have to stuff it with shields and turrets from the get-go or risk being destroyed by a troll?
    I didn't know about this, and that is because I have many times been sniped by rogue ai turrets well over 1km away, however if range is a problem, that's exactly why I said base turrets should have twice the range, plus you could just build a turret with long range then :p And the 1km thing sounds like a bug that should be fixed, so you can report it in the bug tracker in that case.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It isn't a bug, and 1 km isn't the max firing distance. The ai accuracy is 99% at 1km, check your config files.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    if that borg cube has 10% the amount of shields, the turrets would probably take it out?
    ups, I meant 10*; 10 times. the station has 10% of this ship (I got a bit confused)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ups, I meant 10*; 10 times. the station has 10% of this ship (I got a bit confused)
    That's why you need a powerful station :P And it should be substantially easier than making the station equivalent to the borg or even better since the shields and guns are better as a I proposed.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    OMG you don't get my point.

If you have 1 station and can buy 100 shields, this station has 100 shields.
    If you have 10 stations and can buy 100 shields, each station only has 10 shield.

But you need only 1 super-destroyer to kill these 10 stations one after another, thus this super-destroyer has 100 shields and is 100x as strong.

There is always some troll with 10x or sometimes 100x the blocks that you have if you are not playing 24h/7d which has this super-destroyer to kill 100 stations of 10 players one after another.
    (at least you should assume this for public servers)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    OMG you don't get my point.

If you have 1 station and can buy 100 shields, this station has 100 shields.
    If you have 10 stations and can buy 100 shields, each station only has 10 shield.

But you need only 1 super-destroyer to kill these 10 stations one after another, thus this super-destroyer has 100 shields and is 100x as strong.

There is always some troll with 10x or sometimes 100x the blocks that you have if you are not playing 24h/7d which has this super-destroyer to kill 100 stations of 10 players one after another.
    (at least you should assume this for public servers)
    I don't get your point, if there is some super destroyer, then yes - his millions of credits spent on the ship were well worth it. the point of having these changes is so that you can quickly get stations that will not easily be destroyed by troll, but of course - stations are not supposed to be indestructable and a big ship WILL be able to destroy a small station, but again that is the small station's fault.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Perhaps have a seige system? so whenever a stations shields are taken down, it goes into seige mode for 24 hours, where it is invincible. After this period, the station is destructible unless a faction member sets it back to normal during the seige period? Or even have it so the station is only vulnerable for a short period of time after seige mode ends?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can do all the buffs you want to stations, but without an invulnerability system your station IS going to get dunked when you're away.

Reaction score
    You can do all the buffs you want to stations, but without an invulnerability system your station IS going to get dunked when you're away.
    Here is my idea to fix that. First off, when a player who owns a station is offline, the whole station is slightly see-through (to notify other players that the station's owner is gone) and all turrets do only 75% as much damage as normal.

On the other side of the coin, attacking ships can only break up to 5% of total number of blocks in the station every X number of hours (configurable) lets say 24 hours. Attacking ships can however damage (but not break) up to 20% of the stations total blocks. (((Side note: turrets connected to the station are not included in this calculation, meaning you can destroy all turrets)))

With this system, if somebody wants to take down a station that is no longer manned by somebody. All he has to do is fly over to it and do all of the damage he can, then fly home. The next day he does the same, but this time if nobody has come back to make repairs. 5% of the blocks that were damaged in the last attack can now also be broken along with an additional 5%. The # of destroyable DAMAGED blocks increases by 5% every day.

Using this system, over three days a big enough ship is able to destroy around 30% of a base, taking the blocks it needs the most from it. This way we don't have unmanned stations floating around in space and we don't have trolls in big ships taking less than three minutes to take down a station it's size.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, the thing about that is one of the reasons people make homebases is so that their ships don't get destroyed while they're offline. Of the above, Titansmasher's seige idea has the most merit, as it does protect the station and the ships on it. Spazzmatic, your idea would render ships vulnerable to destruction and also would be a pain to deal with in terms of replacing all of the blocks.

Reaction score
    Well, the thing about that is one of the reasons people make homebases is so that their ships don't get destroyed while they're offline. Of the above, Titansmasher's seige idea has the most merit, as it does protect the station and the ships on it. Spazzmatic, your idea would render ships vulnerable to destruction and also would be a pain to deal with in terms of replacing all of the blocks.
    Easy fix to that, when ships are docked to a station they act as though ther were a station as well. (Slightly see through) So if your attacking a station you are able to do 5% damage to the station an an additional 5% to any ships docked there. Making enclosed docking a good Idea as it is more difficult for attackers to punch through the station in the right spot.

I believe that my solution is the best balance between having Untouchable bases and having ships come and destroy bases super quickly.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    There is a flaw with titanmasters system. If there is a fleet attacking another fleet with a station (the battle is happening around the station) once the fleet with the stations shields are down, it is invincible. There is a flipping battle going on outside! Frigates are getting holes punched through their hulls! And a station does not even have a scratch on it!

With the 5% stations will not get wrecked in two seconds but in a couple of days they can get destroyed pretty badly. Also ships docked to them are not invulnerable and not unprotected.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There is a flaw with titanmasters system. If there is a fleet attacking another fleet with a station (the battle is happening around the station) once the fleet with the stations shields are down, it is invincible. There is a flipping battle going on outside! Frigates are getting holes punched through their hulls! And a station does not even have a scratch on it!

With the 5% stations will not get wrecked in two seconds but in a couple of days they can get destroyed pretty badly. Also ships docked to them are not invulnerable and not unprotected.
    Bear in mind, this is only for home bases, the place where a faction is strongest and centralised. If it was like this for every station, then yes it it a *little* OP but for the single home base each faction can have, I think it would work well.

Reaction score
    Bear in mind, this is only for home bases, the place where a faction is strongest and centralised. If it was like this for every station, then yes it it a *little* OP but for the single home base each faction can have, I think it would work well.
    Oh sorry, didn't realize. I think that my system works well with space stations not favtion home bases. But even so, it is nice to see some scratches on a base. ( maybe consider using the same system with different numbers like for favtion bases you can destroy a total of 1% of the blocks in the station and damage a total of 5% over 24 hours 1% of the damaged blocks can now be destroyed along with the additional 1% of total blocks.

Reaction score
    I don't get your point, if there is some super destroyer, then yes - his millions of credits spent on the ship were well worth it. the point of having these changes is so that you can quickly get stations that will not easily be destroyed by troll, but of course - stations are not supposed to be indestructable and a big ship WILL be able to destroy a small station, but again that is the small station's fault.
    No it is not. Its whoever decided for this syste to be in the game in the first place's fault. Someone suggested somthing almost *exactly* like it just with a lot less detail (it was a paragraph long), and it got shot down in a similar manner to a solid lead blimp hit by a nuke. Also, you seem to have forgot that not everyone plays for weeks on end without taking any breaks. Even then, there is ALWAYS a bigger doomcube. SOmeone out there has made a bigger cube packed with missiles called a ship for some reason.